Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia Lumia 920 Charger high pitch noise

Registered Member
dcdhk

Nokia Lumia 920 Charger high pitch noise

Hi,

I have a Nokia 800 and 920.  The USB charger that comes with it is giving out some high pitch noise.  It's not loud, and probably many people won't notice it.  But somehow I am tuned to such frequency.

It's the electric noise from the circuit.  When I unplug the charger from power socket, it would still give out some noise for a couple seconds...

Has anybody experienced this?  I wonder if Nokia can replace it with a good one or if they are all the same...

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

haven't had that issue with my charger. have you checked that it makes the same noise when connected to a surge-protected powerboard? sometimes they can make that noise if they are only connected to a wall socket, and also in the event that there is some damage with the charger itself it may emit that noise.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

What you are hearing is the small transformer inside the charger vibrating. It's not something to worry about though as the charger isn't damaged. You can try and give the charger a couple of knocks which may or may not stop the noise. Not all chargers emit this high pitched sound so if it bothers you too much you could ask your nearest Nokia Care for a replacement.

http://nokia.com/support

Ray.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

There is no transformer in these powersupplies and there have not been for years. What you here is the capacitors used to switch power down 'singing' It won't be a problem right away, but I would recommend getting a new charger.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
AdamKalisz

Yes, that is partially true. The capacitor isn't actually whining, it is a coil. On motherboards, this gets solved by dampening it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coil_noise with plastic. And yes, there is some sort of a RC-circuit in play, so the capacitor also plays a role.

My charger does the same high-pitched sound and its annoying also. The charger is probably just badly designed (well, it's designed by a third party, not Nokia).

Please use plain text.
Gabriel21

I have this problem also on my Lumia 920. Sometimes that high pitch noise can be heard, sometimes it can't . But most of the times, is there
Please use plain text.