Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia Lumia 920 - Outlook sync capabilities?

Counsellor
Accepted Solution

Nokia Lumia 920 - Outlook sync capabilities?

Hi there,

I am seriously considering switching to the new Lumia 920 to replace my aged E7. The E7 does a marvellous job when it comes to syncing all kinds of PIM stuff with MS Outlook 2010 using the Nokia Suite. However, as far I have read, Nokia Suite and the Lumia 920 are not compatible, so offline synchronization is off the table. Instead, it is possible to synchronize contacts and calendars with MS Live, i.e. MS Hotmail. My question is if this is an equally powerful synchronization as the Nokia Suite provides offline, meaning:

(1) How do I synchronize MS Live with MS Outlook 2010? There is something called the Hotmail Connector, has anyone expierence with that tool, i.e. if the synchronization is reliable and if it supports all details of appointments and contacts? Does it also synchronize tasks?

(2) Are tasks being synchronized from the Lunia 920 to MS Live?

(3) Are Oulook notes synchronizable to MS Live or somehow to the Lumia 920?

(4) What about OneNote synchronization? Is there any integration with MS Live and/or Skydrive?

(5) What if there is no network coverage when editing a Hotmail calendar or contact on the Lumia 920? Will it sync subsequently?

Thanks in advance for any hints.

Maniac

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Re: Nokia Lumia 920 - Outlook sync capabilities?

I've never really looked into this before but I can tell you that none of my Outlook items have synced with my @Live account. Both accounts are set-up on my phone with the live account being my primary personal email account and the Outlook account as my work email and calendar account.

Ray.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Thanks for the feedback. Do you use a desktop version of Outlook? If so, are you able to sync it with your phone's data?

Maniac

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Technically it's an Exchange Active Sync account which only syncs Email, calendar, contacts and tasks. My I.T. department won't allow me remote access to my full Outlook account via my phone so I'm unable to access my office documents.

Ray.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

hey manisc_2k

the outlook connector works great!

used it with an outlook, 2007 and 2010.

1. you download the connector and install it on your pc you want to sync with. you can dl it here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=24677

I have not used it for tasks. the two people I set it up with, do not use the tasks.

2. sorry cant answer this, it was part of your 1st question. I use office365 exchange...so it does.

3. not sure.

4. one note is one note. so long as you connect your current one note onyour pc with the same account, they are all synced. phone/pc/latptop/tablet.

5. as soon as there is coverage, it will sync

Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Hi ceroberts75,

thanks for the info. It helped a lot.

All the best,

maniac
Please use plain text.
Contributor
dizy

Hi, Would be grateful for Nokia confirmation that Lumia 920 will sync with Outlook 2010 desktop version as per the N97 mini sync?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

Hi Dizy,

If you read the posts above your post, you will find that they answer your question mate.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Contributor
dizy

[ Edited ]

Thanks Adrian for your reply but I want to be able to sync my mobile with Outlook 2010 via a USB cable as previously.  I don't want to have to sync via Live and that's why I asked my question.  I have read the earlier emails and can't work this out.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't sync via USB, and if it failed for some reason, well there's always Live sync to fall back on.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Pepazhor

Is something new about possibility sync via USB ? Exist utility for this synchronization ?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

Sync to Outlook via USB is not going to happen, not ever. This is a core design choice made by Microsoft. Nothing Nokia can do to change that so if you must go and talk with Microsoft on this.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Dunworkin

Proceed with caution, I have been unable after two days of trying to get the system to work, I am just about to back up the phone and do a hard reset to see if I can solve the problems from there.
I would love the old windows mobile update it was seamless and worked every time. I find it hard to understand how a new better phone has less features than the old phones and PDA's of course nobdy tells you this when you are purchasing the phone.

Brian
Please use plain text.
Advisor
CarlJ

I installed the hotmail connector on my outlook 2010 and set it up on the accounts as well but the only thing it does is to bring in my hotmail calendars and contacts from Hotmail!

It is not possible to sync the calendar nor the contacts from my Outlook 2010 to the mobile!

Maybe I missed something here so I am happy for any step by step advices :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

You need to move contacts to the Hotmail contact list and copy the calendar to the hotmail calendarlist and use that one from then on out

A useful tool for setting up the Outlook Hotmail Connector can be found here.

Additional Microsoft support pages for contacts and calendar.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Advisor
CarlJ

Thanks for your quick reply
I see the solution but that implies no real sync but I assume the sync function as it used to be (two-way) does not exist anymore?
I cannot see how this can substitute the good applications we used to have with Nokia Suite etc. So this is really a step back in evolution.
But thanks for answering, I will see how I can manage somehow,,
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

Nokia Suite, like all 'offline Outlook sync' tools hacks the Outlook datafiles and does not go though outlook itself at all.

I would think it makes sense when a specific account has no access to data belonging to another account so I do not get your implication this is not a two way sync.. ANy contact in the Hotmail contacts list in Outlook is synced to the one on you phone, chnge one and the other als changes. Same for calendars..

---

Please use plain text.
Advisor
CarlJ

Yes I see your point and yes you are right about the 2-way sync as well

You have been to a lot of help and thanks a lot for your kind support :thumbup:

Cherio from Carl

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Jako123

I have sold my Nokia 920 because of this.

Hotmail connector cannot sync tasks

Most unpleasant mobile phone experience I have ever had.

Don't get me wrong, the phone is great but it is being let down by Microsoft's insistance of using Exchange

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

Task are an Exchange supported feature and not available through Exchange ActiveSync servers such as hotmail.

---

Please use plain text.