Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia Lumia 920 Stained

Contributor
Zechs
Accepted Solution

Nokia Lumia 920 Stained

I was very happy with my new white Nokia Lumia 920. I've only had it five days though and it has already picked up some light scratches on the back which is annoying - and I'm very careful with it. However today I put it down on my desk and when I picked it back up I noticed a small black spot on the back. I tried wiping it off but unfortunately a tiny spot of black biro ink has got onto it and has stained it and seemingly can't be removed! I've never had a problem like this before. In fact after owning an E7 for nearly 18 months it's showing virtually no damage, yet my Lumia is essentially tarnished for good by a tiny spot of ink from a biro! I'm really disappointed and wanted to know if anyone else had similar issues and if so have you managed to remove the stain?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

There is plenty of options on the web to purchase gel cases or similar to protect your lumia device.
I have a yellow one and have not had this issue due to taking care of it.
The back is not scratch proof its made of polycarbonate plus the white has the gloss finish.,the E7 has anodized aluminium casing.

The 920 poly is soft so to speak so you just need to look after it

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Zechs

It seems when anyone asks a question on here the responses are very defensive, as if it's all the fault of the user! I've owned Nokia phones since 1998 and have never purchased a phone made by any other manufacturer. I've always found them to be very well made and although they succumb to minor damage over time, I've never had one get stained by placing in on a bit of biro ink, I would have thought it would have wiped clean.

I always take care of my phones! I've never had to use cases before, in fact I don't like using cases because when I buy a lovely looking mobile I don't want it hidden in some ugly gel case!

Considering I've only had the phone a week and it've only ever placed it on my desk, my sofa or in my pocket (without any other items may I add) I think I'm right to be slightly disappointed by the fact a tiny spot of biro ink has managed to stain it.

I've applied some white spirit which has lessened the colour of the spot, however it's still there. I've also looked around the internet and several other people have had this problem with the white and black model. The black one seems to soak up sweat leaving 'greasy' spots on the phone and the white one picks up colours.

I love the phone and think the OS is easily better than iOS or Android and am really enjoying it, just a bit disappointed and came here to see if anyone had found a non-abraisive cleaner that could help :/

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

Try some isopropanol alcohol on the ink spot, you can buy it online and may also be able to get it from chemists on surgical swabs. It tends to work well on ink but it may be too late if the ink has soaked in and become permanent, a bit like a tattoo on a person.

If that fails you could try raising an official complaint with Nokia to see if they will repair or replace it. To do that you need to call Nokia care in your country and ask to make a complaint.

Good luck!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Zechs

Thank you so much! I'll give it a try. Other than this bloody ink spot it's a wonderful device and since purchasing it my other half already wants one! It's so impressive and fast,

If I can't get it off, I'll have to just live with it. I wouldn't trouble Nokia over this as it's only the size of a pin **bleep**, it's just I know it's there!

Thanks again!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Generally the smaller something is the more annoying it is. Whenever I spot a dead pixel on a device it seems to become the one I see the most. I have the 920 but my wife choose the 820 instead and it is also a great phone but with the added advantage of changeable shells.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Zechs

I just want to tahnk you so much. Your advice was spot on, I ordered some  isopropanol alcohol from eBay and it just arrive. Three applications later applied with soft toilet tissue and the stain has completely been removed. My phone is now a perfect white again and I am very happy.

I can't thank you enough for the advice.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

You are welcome! :smileyhappy:

I'm so happy that worked for you!

Please use plain text.