Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia Lumia 920 freezing

Mobile Guru
paulheu

Skype was just updated to v2.1

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Akherad

[ Edited ]

I received my phone (Lumia 920 - Rogers) on Saturday morning (Jan 5th) and had no issue till I installed Skype. I had 2 incidents (frozen device with no response to buttons so I had to do soft resets). Then I ended up in this forum and found out that Skype could be the cause. I immediately removed it. So far no problem. No freezing. Also I had no lockups when using the bluetooth connectivity in my car. (I have isnatlled the latest Nokia and MS updates). If I have any issues, I'll report back here.

Please use plain text.
AKGNok920

My 920 freezes often.  Yesterday it froze when I was (texting + open browser + open email).  The back bottom would not work and I had to restart. So annoying since I lost my composed email.

Previously, it froze when I was texting and simultaneouly receieved a picture text.

I have all the latest updates and all apps are current, within no apps allowed to do background tasks.  Please fix this.

Please use plain text.
CMSLumia920

The Bing music feature under the search button works pretty well and is also very fast in my experience if shazam is causing issues. You can find it with the search button (magnifying glass). Also, I only have one night of experience but Bryan's method of turning off the device and letting it turn back on by connecting it to the USB and charging didn't freeze my phone this morning. Thanks man!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Hyraclyon

Unfortunately my Lumia also occasionaly won't come out of sleep and has to be reset. It seems to be happening at random intervals, mostly once per day. Please fix this Nokia or Microsoft or whatever, I didn't pay this much for a freezing phone. :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

paulheu wrote:

Skype was just updated to v2.1

And they "fixed" the instability by simply removing the functionality that caused it (synchronisation of Skype contacts in the "people" hub). That's a bit like "fixing" combustion problems in a car by removing the engine. The car doesn't cough and splutter any more, that's for sure...

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hillsrob

I have had 5 Lumia 920s and all had this issue. I therefore thnk the problem is in all 920s and related to use case. For some people their use scenarios don't trigger the problem and hence they say that their phone is fine. So is mine most of the time.

My current phone has not shut down for several weeks now but did again last night while it was left on the wireless charger overnight. This I do routinely. It might be nothing to do with the charging process but simply that it spends 8 hours every day not being used on there while I sleep and if it's going to happen there is a good chance it will happen then. As a result I have to rely on my body clock to wake me up at 7am!

Perhaps significant is the fact that I used the Nokia Drive Beta application for the 1st time yesterday in a number of weeks. Maybe this application leaks memory and when it is all used up the phone shuts itself down.  

I'm not sure that I like the way that Windows Phone 8 suspends applications that are not being used.  It's madness that you can't kill applications that you know you are not going to use for a while. It's interesting that someone has taken the trouble to write an application to stop the music player!   

It's annoying that following a soft reset, the date and time need to be reset. My workaround is to keep a link on the start menu to a website that gives the current date and time. I can then quickly correct the settings but hey this is supposed to be a market leading phone.

Nokia and Microsoft please get your act together unless you want to go down in history with Laurel and Hardy, Punch and Judy or Sooty and Sweep.     

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Quethrosar

happens almost every morning, i wake up and 920 is frozen from usb charging.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Delta470

This has been happening on and off for a while now while completely random.  This also happened after I had my original 920 replaced cause an update bricked it.  Once I hit the hard reset buttons it restarts and once it vibrates I let go of the buttons and the phone starts normally.

Hoping an update fixes these as it seems to be hardware related instead of Windows related.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jbox

[ Edited ]

My 920 also is also freezing.

Always a black screen and no response from any button, several times a week like most people have said here. I don't have skype or the other music app. I do have blutooth headstets, and it also hangs there. Specially when commanding it to text or open an app.

By the way, no single app should ever kill the OS. And that is what seems to occur in many cases. This is likely an MS issue, not a Nokia. MS will likely not listen to any of us, so I'm likely wasting my time.

All apps run under the .NET framework. The .NET framework runs under a virtual machine(sandbox). The virtual machine's job is to protect the OS, the app can die, but it should never-ever take the OS with it. So, can't blame it on the apps.

I feel sorry for Nokia, for getting into bed with Microsoft, and it is a choice they made with eyes right open. The Lumia 920 is awesome hardware, at a great price. The OS is not finished, MS jumped the gun in my opinion. Most likely because of Balmer wanting to keep his job.

Please let me know how your experience has been in returning your 920. At the end of this month I will be if no major update takes place or I continue to see lockups.

I pay premium prices to ATT, I deserve a premium devices and service.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Akherad

[ Edited ]

The freezing happened today (a few minutes ago) so I am not sure if skype was the root of the problem as I had already removed it.

Please use plain text.
SpideyBry1

Quethrosar wrote:

happens almost every morning, i wake up and 920 is frozen from usb charging.

Quethrosar, see my post about a possible workaround to prevent this freeze -- post 177 at http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-Lumia/Nokia-Lumia-920-freezing/m-p/1683300#M34192.

Basically just turn the phone off before plugging it into the USB charger.  When you plug it in the phone will turn back on.  I was getting the same overnight freeze you're describing and now I've gone a week with no freezes.

-Bryan

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Justme_Lumia

I am still having this problem too, but mine also happens without being connected to USB or on the wireless charge pad.

I originally purchased two Lumia 920s and they never had this problem. I had to send one back because of a bad headphone jack. The replacement phone I got back had the problem right away and has had the problem since.

The other original phone I purchased has never had the problem and has all of the same apps installed and is put on the wireless charge stand every night.

Other than this freeze problem, this replacement phone has other minor issues report by other people like: dust (a lot of it) under the forward cam lens (phone is kept in a leather belt case, not my pocket), most phone calls have a nasty echo of my own voice.

I would send this one back if I didn't think the next replacement may have the same issues.

I do love the phone and OS otherwise.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
oswaldgs

My lumia 920 is dead =L

it freezed today at 8am and i'm still waiting (9pm)
The screen will not respond to touch, only physical buttons are working.
I did a hard reset with the combination but nothing..
this really sucks.

What should I do?
now I'm waiting the battery to end.
RIP.

Please use plain text.
ssale

I've had mine for 3 days;

Day 1: No freezing whatsoever

Day 2: Woke up with a frozen screen while charging overnight - did a soft reset. Phone continues to freeze up every 3-4 hours or so - solved with a soft reset each time.

Day 3: Phone freezes up every 5 minutes which render the phone useless because I can't use it for longer than 5 minutes at a time - each time solved with a soft reset. Finally I did the hard reset (settings > about > reset phone) and it hasn't freeze up for the last 12 hours.

I do not dare to install any of my previous apps simultaneously because I have been downloading apps on day 2 and even more apps on day 3, so I'm afraid they might be the cause. But then I think it might be caused by overheating because it never freezes in my room (which is always kept cool) yet I notice everytime it freezes, it was either in my trousers or when I'm in a non-AC environment (except that one time when it freezes when I left it charging overnight).

One thing I seem to notice is that when it "freeze up", it is actually only the screen and buttons that froze up, but I think the OS is still running normally inside because I actually had an incoming call when it was frozen, though I have no means to pick it up or reject it.

Hope this would help anyone who's trying to find a solution.

Please use plain text.
Makaveli4ever

nokia lumia 920 test ich seit ca. 3 - 4 Wochen. Ich habe keine Apps aus dem Shop installiert, das nokia lumia 920 ist noch im Urzustand. Nur ein Exchange Server wurde angebunden. In den 3 - 4 Wochen ist das gute ding mittlerweile bestimmt 10 Mal eingefroren. heute früh am 13.01.2013 musste ich wieder einmal reseten.

das nokia lumia 920 geht wieder zurück, obwohl das 920 schön gebaut ist. aber wie soll man es in einer firma einsetzten, wenn es immer wieder abstürzt und mitarbeiter evtl. telefonisch nicht erreichbar wären und es erst merken wenn sie wieder das telefon in die hand nehmen..... seit 3 bis 4 Wochen warte ich auf ein update, das das problem behebt, aber nichts da.

Außerdem: bei jedem reset muss man das Datum und die Uhrzeit wieder einstellen. Super

für unser firma ist das dann wohl nichts. schade nokia.

ich denke, android ist dann doch das bessere system.

Google Translator:

I tested nokia lumia 920 for about 3 - 4 weeks. I have not installed any apps from the store, the nokia lumia 920 is still in its original state. Only one Exchange server was connected. In 3 - 4 weeks, the good thing is now frozen determined 10 times. This morning (13.01.2013) I had to reset this on again.

i will send the nokia lumia 920 test device back, although the 920 is built beautifully. but how can it be fitted in a company if it crashes again and again. Possibly employee would not be reached by phone and notice it only if they take back the phone in the hand ..... for 3 to 4 weeks I wait for an update that fixes the problem, but there's nothing.

Also: at each reset you have to adjust the date and time again. super

for our company is this probably nothing.

I think android is then the better system.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
oswaldgs

ok, I'm f*cking happy now!! My Lumia is alive!!

This will sound really stupid, but after trying ALL I decided to leave my Lumia at the backyard, under the sun...
For 2 hours the phone was outside, now i went to pick it up and wuala! the screen and capacitive buttons are working!!! =D

Can someone explain that??

So...if nothing seems to work..just leave the phone outside under the sun...it gets really hot, but works..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Quethrosar

[ Edited ]

i thought it may have been skype but i uninstalled it and reformatted my phone and left skype off and this morning it was frozen.

Someone above posted that the he left his phone in the sun and it came back on. Could the phone be sensitive to humidity? I sleep with a humidifier on max vapor and am wondering if that is the issue? maybe the phone can't handle the humidity it creates?

It;s hard to say what is the cause because i had the phone freeze while using words with friends to, it just froze up, didn;t black out just froze. I wasn't anywhere near humidty though.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Bommi

Humidity certainly doesn't do good for electronics, and it may have been the case with oswaldgs.

However I encounter the same freezing issues and the air is very dry in my home and at work. Especially now in the winter.

Please use plain text.
DTSdude

Add another one to the list.  Received my 920 from AT&T last Thursday, I'm getting 3-6 freeze & reboots daily with moderate use. I've done a hard reset with no change in behavior.

I find myself in the same situation as many others, there's no way to know if it's hardware or software. The freezes are random in nature and do not seem to have any correlation to heat or load as far as my experience goes. It's almost symptomatic of bad memory.

I'm going to try and get a replacement as much as it pains me to do so.

Please use plain text.