Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia Lumia 920 freezing

Advisor
Justme_Lumia

Just found this thread on WPCentral if anyone is interested.

http://forums.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/211604-your-lumia-freezing-restarting-enter-your-details...

I have made it two full days without a freeze as of today, but I havent done anything differently...

Please use plain text.
LuminolBlue

I have had my Lumia 920 since Jan 3, 2013 and so far I have hard reset this phone at least 5 times, if not more. It randomly freezes up, becomes completely unresponsive; thus, forcing me to do a hard reset. After said hard reset, the phone works fine for a few days and then it's back to freezing and crashing and ultimately a hard reset. I don't have any social networking apps running in the background, in fact, these apps aren't even installed on my phone. I am at my wits end and don't know what to do anymore. It might be time to bite the bullet and go back to Android.

The Lumia 920 is an amazing phone, but it actually turned out to be quite a disappointment. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
realwarder

Simple fact is that a phone locking up is a bad phone and has a hardware fault.  You should return it.

When I purchase 2: one for me and one for my wife, we loaded the same software and OS and hers was locking up, mine never locked up.

We replaced hers at the store after a week of this and her replacement has never locked up either.

Some units just have bad memory chips or something - get it replaced.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
hyaman

I had my Nokia 920 for over a month (a month and a week). i experianced a freeze every now and then , sometimes twice a day. i like the phone so i didnt complain too much , until yesterday, the phone freezed and refuze to reboot/reset etc ... all what i got was , Nokia logo and black screen, and battery flat without any option to recharch (even the battary was at 90% when thats happen). today i been informed from Telstra, that they going to send it for repair and no replacment as the phone is more than a month old.

i'm extreamly unhappy, and reading about this issue with other customers (phone freeze) i really disapointed with Nokia. I been recomanded this phone for lots of people and now i got disapointed.

Hope Nokia will find a solution asap to this issue.

HY.

Please use plain text.
Phomer

Unfortunately I have not had any success with a hard re-set, it was stable for a few days then was right back on to freezing and the time changing again. Phone is ace, but bitterly disappointed with support. Nokia has had long enough to sort this, inform its customers and get the fix out. I can’t even find anything stating they acknowledge there is an issue. Simple communication would be nice; when I can I expect a fix? Or should I take it back to the shop and go droid? I’m trying my best to support Nokia by buying their products we need another big player in the field in the name of competition and progress, but if this is the best they can do I’m afraid for their future.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Ozgur35

i live in Turkey , and i have the same freezing issue with my lumia 920 but when u return to store Nokia wont change it. They send it to the phone service to fix it. :smileyhappy:)) They format the whole phone and now same problem is continous... What i dont understand is , WHY nokia not fix this problem and act like nothing happens on the market??
Please use plain text.
SharikaSharma

I just bought the Nokia Lumia 920 and my phone has been freezing pretty much since I opened it.

I have applied all the latest updates, have done a hard reset but the problem persists. Its completely random and occurs without any explanation.

Very frustrated and regretting the buy.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Hyraclyon

Phomer wrote:

Unfortunately I have not had any success with a hard re-set, it was stable for a few days then was right back on to freezing and the time changing again. Phone is ace, but bitterly disappointed with support. Nokia has had long enough to sort this, inform its customers and get the fix out. I can’t even find anything stating they acknowledge there is an issue. Simple communication would be nice; when I can I expect a fix? Or should I take it back to the shop and go droid? I’m trying my best to support Nokia by buying their products we need another big player in the field in the name of competition and progress, but if this is the best they can do I’m afraid for their future.

Same here. Thought I had it stable again but no luck. Nokia said a while ago that the issue would be fixed with Portico but it clearly hasn't been fixed with the update, and after that I haven't heard anything from them. I posted a request for more communication on this issue a while back as well but my post was deleted. I'm seriously considering selling the phone and going back to android now. Not even going to bother with this anymore.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Tunamelts

[ Edited ]

Add another regretful buyer to the list. In my first day with the phone, I was ready to recommend it to everyone. At this point, I'm more at risk of becoming a Nokia basher than a Nokia promoter. The lack of attention to this issue post-Portico is appalling.

I never have frozen during app usage, rather I freeze about every 1/5 times that the phone is locked/idle. I've tried turning off background apps, bluetooth, hard reset, etc. Still getting freezes many times per day.

The only time it does not freeze is if I turn it off and plug it into a charger, allowing the charger to turn on the phone. I can leave it like that for half a day without a single freeze. Once I remove it from the charger even for a second, it's likely to freeze the next time I lock it.

Please use plain text.
de_most

I tried someone's suggestion and it worked so far: in Settings, set lock screen to never.  Every time I use the phone, after each use, I press the power button to turn off the screen.  I have since charged it overnight, or anytime during the day, with full batt or little batt remaining, NO freeze up! The person said it was a timing issue or something, and since then, I have yet to see it freeze.  Maybe some people ought to try this and confirm.

Please use plain text.
Golf3r

Ok Nokia, I just got this device this week on Rogers Canada. 3 freezes so far. Should I take it back as this is a hardware problem or is there a way to fix, or plan to fix from Nokia coming?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
farcas_claudiu

Lumia 820 and 920 freezing and rebooting are by design. Get use with it and get over people!

Examples:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lumia+820+freeze

Cheers, Clody

Please use plain text.
Contributor
hyaman

[ Edited ]

Update,

got my Nokia 920 yesterday from repair after a week. the same issue , the phone freeze this morning and i was late to work as i use it as alarm.

sooooooo disapointed.

Please use plain text.
Hawaiilumia

[ Edited ]
I was about this Close to buy the Nokia 920. I went to the phone house store, here in france, and the guy told me about this freezing issue

It is a bit strange cz I did a lot of search on youtube to find any pbs and on the contrary, i found a lot of features ( I am iPhone 4 owner) camera, customization ,...

Well Donno If an update will resolve the pb
I will wait to see.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Arnie_75

Same here, my phone freezes now and then. Somtimes twice a day, sometimes every two days. :smileysad:

Here is a German speaking thread about the problem, some suspect it's a hardware defect and try to narrow it down to the IMEI no.:

http://www.pocketpc.ch/nokia-lumia-920/176580-lumia-geht-einfach-nur-ueber-softreset.html

They started to collect the IMEIs and it could be that the devices between

35414905-252813-x (which freezes) and 35414905-299209-x (which does not freeze) are marking the point where the phones work without freezes:

http://www.pocketpc.ch/nokia-lumia-920/176580-lumia-geht-einfach-nur-ueber-softreset-14.html#post164...

Can anyone confirm this, or maybe contribute to the list?

Please use plain text.
Hawaiilumia

Hi,
Did you ever try the suggestion in this link?

http://forums.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/213556-lumia-920-random-freezing-possible-fix.html

Let us know the result please.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Arnie_75

I do not even have a Facebook account, also many people in the thread I linked to tried everything, including resetting the phone to factory defaults and leaving it this way. It simply freezes.

Please use plain text.
Hawaiilumia

Well
I should say that a friend of mine had a nasty crackling of the audio, the default "click sound file" was corrupt and the audio hardware was actually trying to "play" the file.

Try to change default sound file
Please use plain text.
Hawaiilumia

Beside did you update to the pr1.1?
A hard reset after this update my be resolve the pb
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Arnie_75

v1.1 is not available in my part of the world. Even if it was, many people in my linked thread report it has not fixed their problem. Rest assured that I have already tried every possible solution. Either it is a hardware defect or a software bug which cannot be fixed by the user.

Please use plain text.