Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia Lumia 920 freezing

Sage
slashd0t

Add me to the list of frusrated Nokia users.. Been a huge Nokia supporter most of my life, now I'm just embarrased by what this company is doing..  

920 appeared to be nice out of the gate, but, them just ignoring these freezing issues and the terrible QA has made me sell all of my NOK stock and to pick up a Nexus 4..

I guess my 920 will just sit collecting dust.. Perhaps one day Nokia/MSFT will figure out what it needs to do to succeed in this market.

Right now all I see is a ton of Nokia faithful's jumping ship .. I feel embarrased that I convinced a few people to drop their iPhone's and buy this paper weight.. Hopefully they aren't angry at me :smileysad:

Lumia 920/N9

Previous Life: N8, N95, 8600, 8800 Sapphire Arte, N97, N97-Mini, 5800 and a few older ones :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
haberll

Bought mine a week ago. The screen has frozen twice. I let it sit and it rebooted itself after about 15 mins. I really like this phone but I'm missing my iPhone 😐 I have another week + so we will see. I keep thinking its a Windows issue. Not sure.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
hyaman

Update regarding my Freezing Nokia 920.

So after my last 2 posts i contact Nokia (via email) and they send me a BASIC stupid email about how reset the device , which already been done several times and the device just back from repair without any improvment. 

This morning my wife called to my office to tell me that she tried to call my mobile and she think its not working (Freez - she already know about the freeze). I'm so sick of sitting and monitoring my phone all day long just to make sure its not Freeze ....

Nokia, shame ...

HY.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jli1668

I had that same problem. I even returned one phone and got another. Same 920. I finally found out it was not the phone. It was the bluetooth that I used. I had a Jawbone ICON. Now I got a Jawbone ERA. The phone does not freeze anymore.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
sameers89

it cud b due to de buiilt in battery.. i used to nd im still facin de same prob on ma N8

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
CloudStrife

Hello,

I've got a Lumia 920 from about 2 weeks. I suddenly experienced the well-known freezing issue.

Unfortunately I came reading all this stuff after buying the phone.

I read here and on many other forums of a very lot of people complaining about this, some even getting their handset replaced and still experiencing the same issue on the new phone.

So I began trying more and more, and finally I think I got an idea of what is causing the malfunction.

However I don't know how to submit my results to Nokia or Microsoft, so I hope someone can suggest an address to write to (I mean, an address they will read).

I noticed that the freezes happen ever and only if both 2g/3g network and WiFi are enabled.

Leaving the phone with only WiFi won't make it freeze.

Leaving the phone with only 3g won't make it freeze.

Leaving the phone with 2G/3G and WiFi will make it hang.

I've also tried locking it to 2G and keeping WiFi on: same result, the phone hangs.

Disabling the network data and leaving only WiFi on WON'T make it hang.

It stays up for days.

As soon as I re-enable both WiFi and network data, it will hang in a few hours.

Please give it a try if you have a WiFi at work or home, whenever you can keep it connected with it for a long time to check if it hangs or not.

I suppose it performs some tasks while the screen is locked, in standby mode, causing the crash: maybe trying to switch from WiFi to 3G, or from 3G to 2G and vice versa, when the network service is low.

However it happens also enabling the "always keep Wifi connection" flag.

So also on Portico, of course.

Have you ever given a try to this ?

If not, would you please try ? Just to know if this works also for you.

If we manage to identify the cause of the issue, it could be easy for Microsoft or Nokia to fix it as soon as they can.

Best regards,

Cloud.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
hyaman

Hello Cloud,

thanks for the hard work, but i can't accept this unfortunately. when you buying a product you expect it to be perfect and disabling or enabling features just to cover a fult is not a work around at least for me.

i going to send the phone to Nokia care today, but have no faith anymore with their ability to fix the phone and i just placed my order for Samsung Ativ S. 

an update:

Just wake up this morning (10 min ago) and my Nokia freeze AGAIN during the night. I'm sooooooo sick from this.

HY.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
astroboy100

Does Nokia actually read these forums and reply to them? Have they acknowledged this issue at least and or commented on the fact they're working on a solution? I too have the freeze-up issue, but I don't want to send my phone in at the moment and get a refurbished one back and have to re-install everything, not to mention unlock it again!!! Nokia Help! Please respond to your customers!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
hyaman

Hello Astroboy100, i dont think they really care. i already posted 4 - 5 messages on this forum and i never even got a reply from Nokia. We already stuck, they got their money so they dont care anymore. if you experiance the same freeze issue, better to change phone mate, will be easier and cheaper from keep sending the phone to their Care center or to repair....
good luck...
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
CloudStrife

Hello hyaman,

you're right indeed, me too I want my phone to be fully functional and really don't like what I experienced and what I read around the internet: an evident software bug being ignored my Microsoft and Nokia, on a very expensive handset.

I'm aiming at identifying its cause and submit it to Microsoft, hoping they will be able to fix it sooner if we give them an idea at least on the scenario that is behind.

I read on the net that even the HTC 8x are affected by the same bug. So it's not just about Nokia.
I thought to send my handset to Nokia Care, but reading that so many users had the same problem all over the world made me think it could result in just a waste of time.
Moreover, I read of some users who got their phone replaced 2 or 3 times, and experienced the same issue even on the new handsets!

So I think the best we can do is to change our phone (if we could get a change or a refund), or try to help the support team to fix the issue.

I'll let you know what Microsoft would answer (should they do).
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Justme_Lumia

Have a look on this page at WPCentral, there is someone there who started a thread on the same problem and is collecting everyone's info for submission. I dont know if they are collecting enough parameters, but is a start for finding a common cause. You should add your input there as well.

http://forums.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/211604-your-lumia-freezing-restarting-enter-your-details...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
astroboy100

Yeah, I don't want to send my phone in for repair either as I've read people that have done that have gotten back different phones that sitll have the same issue, refurbished phones, and also have to wait 2-3 weeks and re-install everything. Also, my phone is unlocked and some people mentioned they got a locked version back, which isn't cool.   I'm really hoping they fix this issue soon! Until then I'll have to live with it. Let me know what your investigations find CloudStrife...latest on WPCentral was location services may be the cause of it?! I'll try disabling and see if that helps.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
CloudStrife

Hello astroboy100,

I've also tried the location services hint these days.

Same result as before.

If I keep location service enabled without the network data connection, it works great.

As soon as I enable it, the freezes begin to happen randomly.

Disabling location services won't help.

To me, the key is the network data connection, in the shape of a function that searches for better connections, so it hangs while trying to switch to WiFi (if enabled) or to 3g from 2g or vice versa, where the network service is low and the phone tries to connect to a 2g network that could have a more powerful signal than a 3g one.

Nokia Care on Twitter suggested me to write to Microsoft from their "windows phone suggestion" area.

Unfortunately I think they won't look at it so fast, there are so many posts around there each day.

I'll keep you updated should I get any sort of feedback from them.

Please use plain text.
dpllf

Hello,

i have the same problem as you guys :smileysad:

after I deactived gps as a default it became better. but while playing a game (no matter which), it is still freezing after at least 20 minutes. Did anyone try this out, too?

greetings from germany...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Bernie66

Hi, I have the same problem and actually I think I can really confirm that it schould be the combination of WLAN and 3G/4G data connection. I experienced many freezes already before the portico update, and afterwards much more often. Why this? - The answer ist quite easy: With the portico update I got a new WLAN funtion, that means, if enabled, that the the WLAN wil be connected, even if the screensaver is on "timeout". So that means, the phone is much more often connected than before.

And the second thing, why we suffer so many blackouts/freezings at night? At least my provider is cutting my internet connection frequently every night for some seconds. (an by doing this the Wlan stops as well) And I think, this is the moment, when the Wlan or/and 3G/4G data connection is provoking a freezing. Thats the problem, but: Where is the solution?????????

Greeting form Germany

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
CloudStrife

Unfortunately it doesn't seem that Nokia nor Microsoft are reading those big threads, so I think they are aware of the issue and think:

1) portico solved the matter (as Nokia wrote on a thread, so I bet they'll wait for it being distributed worldwide before investigating again)

or

2) they still don't know where the cause of the bug resides in.

Nokia Care replied to me saying to write to Microsoft on the "windows phone suggestions board": I did that, but don't think that any of the MS developers are actually reading it. Of course, they think to find there only suggestions for new features.

We would need a more direct contact with the developers in my opinion, some sort of support address to write to and being read by any sort of IT team instead of the business (or low-level assistance) ones.

I'm still addressing my search in that way, since I really want this to be fixed.

In the meantime, my phone stays up for days and works fine al long as I never let WiFi and 3G/2G connections enabled simultaneously.

Best regards!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ihopson

roohan wrote:

Hi,

I have my Nokia Lumia 920 three days now and it already became unresponsible twice. I could not start the phone or anything. Only a hard reset (all three buttons at once) started the phone again. Should I turn back the phone for a replacement?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ihopson

Same issue entirely .for a flagship phone this is unacceptable.
both mornings after portico ,phone dead ,hard to soft reset .
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ihopson

I would most definitely take it back , i am gonna try and get a replacement myself today, but unfortunately i have had mine about 7 weeks .
constant issues with hot phone,battery life,not receiving notifications for Facebook,ebay,twitter.
at least 4 or 5 freezes per week ,now the phone shuts down when left charging and will not re start .
absolutely shocking for flagship device
in my opinion this phone and software were not ready for release and have been rushed to release .
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hillsrob

Hi All, I am still having problems with this issue after nearly 3 months of ownership. I have just sent a personal message (PM) to one of the Nokia members on here asking if Nokia are ignoring us. Some kind of acknowledgement that there is an issue would be nice.
Please use plain text.