Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia Lumia 920 freezing

Registered Member
Bernie66

My 920 freezes tonight, without beeing connected to the 3G/4G Data network, but to the WLAN. So I think its definitely a problem of the WLAN!

Please use plain text.
10Devon

Same here in the Netherlands. Nokia lumia 920 frooze every few hours even with the Portico update. After turning off GPS no more problems. I was even able to run several apps at the same moment for several hours. If there are conflicts with e.g. WIFI or Bluetooth I don't know.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Bommi

Hi everybody,

My Lumia 920 bricked a couple of weeks ago after I ended up performing a hard reset on it because of experiencing heat/stability issues for a while. Last wednesday I was notified to pick up my phone, and not really surprisingly they provided me with a new unit.

After a few days I can say that this unit works SO much better than the one I had previously. Battery life is better, and the phone no longer gets hot in use. (It still gets warm under heavy use, but not so that it would cause alarm.)

The previous had OS: 8.0.9903.10

And this one has: 8.0.10211.204

I don't know if that means if it's updated to Portico or why the version number has increased. In any case, the phone seems to work as one would assume a flagship model to function.

Also, having cracked the screen previously, I went and bought a Nokia-made silicone cover for it. So far they only had the black one, but I'll get the yellow one when it's available. Very reasonable 9 euros, so might as well pick a few different colors anyway :smileyhappy:

If I run into problems I'll let you guys know, in the meantime, if you're not happy with the way your phone is functioning just take it to Nokia Care. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Schapendoes

8.0.10211.204 is the Portico update.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Bommi

Ok, thanks for clarifying that. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Advisor
amdhunter

[ Edited ]

My Nokia Lumia 920 is unusable with ANY Bluetooth device. These are just a sample of things I've tried it with.

I OWN EVERY ONE OF THESE DEVICES AND WILL TAKE PICTURES AND VIDEO TO PROVE IT IF ASKED.

Pioneer AppRadio 2 Head Unit
JVC KW-NT800HDT Head Unit
Motorola Roadster 2 Bluetooth speaker
TWO Logitech Z515 Speakers
Logitech Mini Boombox

EVERY single device froze the phone completely, even with no apps installed.. EVERY SINGLE ONE froze the phone.

Sent it off for RMA, they took the phone no questions asked from me. Guy on the other end made it sound like it's a common problem.

Three weeks later (today), I get this reply:

Thanks for sending us your Nokia device for service. Unfortunately, we weren’t able to duplicate your problem, so we are returning your device.

What a crock. I have never been so **bleep** in my life. There is no way they tested the phone or did anything to it. They probably did a factory reset and are sending it back.

Nokia can go to hell.

Please use plain text.
Heavydutytactic

I have had the portico update to fix the freezing by the store.....didn't fix the problem just made things worse, now I canon it blair to any Bluetooth device, which had been working before the update....Nokia/Microsoft This phone/OS is so buggy there was no way you couldn't,t be aware, you' re either grossly incompetant or assign no value to your customers, as an IT professional I am disgusted by your behaviour and will be selling my phone like a large amount of other fed up owners on eBay...
Please use plain text.
Advisor
amdhunter

Heavydutytactic wrote:
I have had the portico update to fix the freezing by the store.....didn't fix the problem just made things worse, now I canon it blair to any Bluetooth device, which had been working before the update....Nokia/Microsoft This phone/OS is so buggy there was no way you couldn't,t be aware, you' re either grossly incompetant or assign no value to your customers, as an IT professional I am disgusted by your behaviour and will be selling my phone like a large amount of other fed up owners on eBay...

I am also one of those IT people that is dodging the people I recommended this phone to.  You are not alone, my friend.  :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
naserals1974

Resolution for this problem is as follows:

1. For those who haven't applied portico update, please turn off "find my phone" option.

2. For those who have applied portico update, please uncheck both options in find my phone feature. Uncheck "send apps to my phone using push notifications" and uncheck "save my phone's location periodically and before battery runs out to make it easier to find".

It is more of a software problem that was highlighted to Microsoft.

Thanks,

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hillsrob

Hi naserals1974, Are you saying that this will fix this problem once and for all? If so, how did you come to this conclusion?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
hyaman

Hello naserals1974,

I have the both option already unchecked and still experiance a freeze every day. is this a microsoft official workaround? 

My Nokia phone become a useless device and i'm even can press the 3 buttons using one finger as i become expert on reseting the device.

Useless phone.

HY.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
hyaman

NOKIA,

IT's toooooooo much , 3 Freeze (2 Freez and 1 Reboot) within an hour while the phone doing nothing??

I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!!!

HY.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Rienkie

I also have this problem. Every day i have to make a hard reset because my phone is not responding (happens almost between 06.00 and 09.00 hour).

This is my second lumia 920, my first lumia 920 had problems with the proximity sensor and a lot of dust in the front facing camera, but with that phone had no freezing problems (that phone had no portico update).

So maybe it is a software bug in portico, or a hardware failure.

I guess it is a hardware failure because i see there are a lot of people who are facing the problem without the portico update.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
CloudStrife

[ Edited ]

I think there are many problems all software related. I wonder if all the Lumias were made using the same hardware, i.e. the same wlan adapter, the same video processor etc etc... if the answer to this question was NO, then there might be compatibility issues with the driver for different components.

Some experience the issue with the WLan I read, I exprienced that with the data network, leaving it only WLan never made it freeze. Some others with the "find my phone" option. That maybe could explain the crashes during the night?

However... I found and tried to follow a suggestion that one user reported coming from both Microsoft and Nokia, and surprisingly it seems to have fixed my issue.

I removed the SIM, then turned up the phone and left it on for 10 minutes (I read that when the "no sim" message appears, some files are supposed to be deleted, and written again when the SIM will be put back in the handset and recognized as new).

Then I shut it down, inserted the SIM back, and turned it on.

It has never frozen again, it's about four days.

My issue was when I had both network data connection and WiFi, or when I had only network data connection but with low service so it was often switching between 2G (Edge) and 3G data connection.

From when I tried that I left enabled both WiFi and network data, and it never froze again.

I don't know if it's a definitive solution, but I hope so.

What I'm pretty sure of is the fact that if I left both WiFi and network data enabled before, it was a matter of hours for it to freeze.

I hope that my experience can be helpful for someone... at least, it worths a try.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ihopson

I just want an change to a different handset.In my humble opinion I feel that wp8 has been rush released when not ready, too many issues..
Nokia and Microsoft both needed to push hardware and software out pre Christmas for financial reasons, I feel totally let down by this device and os
Please use plain text.
Advisor
amdhunter

Sure enough, my phone froze on me as soon as it paired with my car radio.  So much for Nokia support.  This is aggravating as hell. 

I am worried that we'll get a fix when the Lumia 920 is replaced with the next best thing and our phones are thrown at the back burner.

I can't believe this.   People will have thousands invested over the lifetime of a contract, and to be slapped in the face with a defective product is unacceptable.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
garym114

Mine has never frozen up and the battery lasts all day and then some. WiFi on, bluetooth on. Reception in the area is one or two bars, 4G

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Rienkie

[ Edited ]

Tnx for youre post CloudStrife, I tryed out youre suggestion and for the first time I don't have to make a hard reset when i woke up :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Although my Lumia 920 doiesn't freeze that often, I'm giving CloudStrife's suggestion a go. It would certainly explain why a unit we had here for testing at work never froze once in the 2 months or so that we had it: there was never a SIM in it...

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

It would also explain why the Nokia Care Point manager I spoke with for around 45 minutes while waiting for a display replacement to be done (not on 920) kept repeating that they are tired of people bringing in Lumias, especially WP8 ones, with complaints about buggy software and requesting a reflash, when in over 90% of cases it's a SIM/network issue causing it.

Please use plain text.