Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia Lumia 920 freezing

Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

Re: Nokia Lumia 920 freezing

I would suggest that since you all have just received your devices, that there is not much info to loose....

reformat your device by wiping the rom using the hard-reset and see if that fixes any gremlins, just like the store associate did for stevecoz above.

you can do this by turning off your device

press down volume+camera+power buttons until you feel it vibrate.

release ONLY the power button and still hold the down volume+camera until it begins it reformat.

then report on this thread if it fixed your issue.

Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Contributor
stevecoz

Just a brief update to report that my 920 is still going strong (see my prior posts in this thread). If you are having freezing/rebooting issues, I highly recommend a hard reset.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Asherr

I got my phone on Fri and it has frozen a couple of times. I'm usually streaming music through my bluetooth speakers when it freezes up. Thanks for the advice on how to soft reset it the device by holding down the volume down button, the power button, and the camera button at the same time. I really hope Nokia acknowledges this problem fast because I would hate to see a repeat of the when the Lumia 900 came out and a lot those devices had a defect right at launch that they had to all be updated.

Please use plain text.
Speed7

I had this issue but my phone was responsive enough to launch reset through the UI. The reset went on for three hours so I interrupted it thinking it must be hung up. Now I can't get the reset to lanch with a key combination. its volume down + camera + power, hold 'till it vibrates and relese power right?

Please use plain text.
Shaunfth

posted yesterday about the freezing problem. I took the phone back to the ATT store an described the problem and everything I had tried to fix it. They ended up replacing the phone with a new one. I'm happy to say that this one is working great, used it all day with no issues. One thing I did notice was that some of the packaging was different between the two phones. The new phone had a sticker on the back and a card in the box describing the NFC feature. The first phone with the freezing issue had neither of thoses items. Maybe the earlier phones were rushed out the door without the proper testing. Who knows but I'm very happy with the new phone. I suggest anyone having issues to take it back and exchange it.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
MrSnipeSnipe

I'm having this issue also I bought my 920 from best buy and went straight home on last Friday. I added my jawbone era and BAM My first lock up. I then Hard reset it but mine is freezing several times and has shut down mysteriously on 3 or 4 occasions. I'm tempted to take it back and get a replacement just to see if i get better luck like some of you with very rare issues because IM having to reboot mine all the dang time! I think these issues will be solved when they give us our 1st patch\firmware update but until then this sucks because I love my windows phone!

"I will not go back to the IP5 stay strong young Jedi!"

PS. This issue is happening to to many people to be one off incidents there is a problem here.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Quethrosar

I had the same freeze issue with my 920 this morning. It wouldn't accept power or anything. I had to look up how to do a hard reset and that rebooted it.

Please use plain text.
Ryan920

I got my black Lumia 920 on Friday from an AT&T in DC. It was running great, like best phone I'd ever used great. Then last night - I think I was on the NFL fantasy mobile site - it rebooted itself, and just now it froze as I tried to comment on a youtube video. A hard reset got it working again.

The only weaknesses I've noticed in this phone so far have been in web browsing - a few sites will struggle to load or scrolling will stop working (I noticed this in the NFL fantasy full site). Now I've had two bigger problems while using the internet.

Maybe Nokia just missed something here and there'll be an update coming out soon. I'll be counting down to the 14-day return deadline though, and I'll definitely get a replacement if the problem persists. Hopefully this doesn't turn into a widespread issue because I want Nokia to succeed here.

Please use plain text.
dtyo

I started a similar thread to this one about my 920 hanging/freezing, but since this one's getting more views/comments, I'll hop over here.

I'm still being plagued with may lockups and reboots and I'm hoping to make it to a AT&T store after work to get it replaced. 

In the mean time, and as an observation for others, attaching the phone to a USB port/cable seems to make matters worse.  Even while sitting plugged in on my desk it will reboot...  Difficult to see how this behavior might be SW/WP8 related, when there are many (??) 920's working reliably.  Although, there are a lot of variables that might figure into the cause - anyway, I really hope a new phone resolves the problem.  While I do like my BB 9810, I'm not prepared to go back.

Dan

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
NCRoadster

My 920 is also freezing randomly.

It will happen 1-2 times a day.

Here are some WPCentral threads about the same issue. 

http://forums.wpcentral.com/lumia-920/200906.htm

http://forums.wpcentral.com/lumia-920/202513.htm

http://forums.wpcentral.com/lumia-920/202130.htm

http://forums.wpcentral.com/lumia-920/201926.htm

Please use plain text.
Advisor
vannooch

I picked mine up on Friday 11-06-2012 from AT&T Westmoreland Mall, PA. It was wonderful until today, the screen is flashing on and off during phone calls, at first I thought that it was a proximity sensor. But it finally didn't hang up and the screen went black. I just reset the device from the "about" area in the settings. I'll let you know if this fixed the problem.

Please use plain text.
dtyo

Been trying to get my (red) 920 exchanged - it appears that RED is one of the most popular colors!  AT&T phone support is out of stock, as are most of the local stores...  The sales guy in the closest store was very helpful and did an inventory search of the local area, and I have one put aside at another store about 2 hours away.  Not convenient, but I can get it replaced tomorrow.  I REALLY hope 2nd time's a charm!

Dan

Please use plain text.
daniel_g

My Lumia 920 has also been having sync issues. I currently have two email accounts (hotmail & work) set up. These seem to be trying to sync all the time. When this happens I can't open them at all. I also had some issues with Bluetooth but it seems to be better now after I did a soft reset.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
okman5

Hi

I got same problem. Can freeze the phone at will by connecting it to Bluetooth and trying to play media via Bluetooth (doesn't matter what Bluetooth - they all cause the phone to freeze). Contacted Nokia support and got the message that 'this is the first time they have hear about it'. Hard reset has no effect. I doubt a phone replacement will do change anything as well.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
vannooch

I didn't work. It seems to be the actual phone on mine, when I make a call the screen goes black. I can continue to complete the call, but can't hang up or use any other feature on the phone during the call. Just Monday I was able to text and talk at the same time. Not sure where to go from here, guess return for another one.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@vannooch

Seems that your issue is more related to the "Proximity sensor" isse reported in this thread. you haven't got any visible dust under top of screen?http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-Lumia/Proximity-sensor-doesn-t-switch-off-Lumia-920/m-p/160644...

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Contributor
SentientCoder

I've performed a hard reset multiple times and so far it has not been the solution.  I'm averaging 3 shutdowns a day.  I'll give it until the weekend and probably return it. 

Lumia 920 - ATT
Please use plain text.
Advisor
vannooch

There is some dust at the front facing camera. How do you clean that up?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
vannooch

I blew along the top as the other thread suggested and it has seemed to work. Don't want to deal with this for the next two years....

Please use plain text.
cam525

i amRe: Nokia Lumia 920 freezing

I am having a similar issue, however my screen becomes sort of fuzzy like you would see on a television with no signal, it only happens once in a while, also my screen just becomes dark and I have to hit the power button twice to get the screen to come back, I tried a hard reset but it solved the problem temporarily, what should I do?

Please use plain text.