Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia Lumia 920 freezing

Contributor
UFGator1977

Re: Nokia Lumia 920 freezing

I never got to leave the phone overnight since it shut itself off after only a few hours with the bluetooth headst connected. I exchanged my phone for a new one at an AT&T Corporate store. It appeared to be slightly different than the one that was shippped to me. I also bought a wired headset this time and will only use the bluetooth for short periods this time.

One suggestion: if you have set your phone up with a Microsoft login, you need to delete that phone from your online Microsoft profile before you set up your new phone. I ended up with two phones in my profile and it couldn't locate either of them. I had to erase my information from my new phone that I had set up at the store and re-enter my Microsoft login.

Please use plain text.
Jefffooz

I just got my yellow Nokia 920 six hours ago and in that time it has inexplicably froze about five times. I had to go online to figure out how to get it out of being frozen, being that I moved from ios to WP8 and I'm not familiar with this os. One thing I noticed is that when one is in a hurry and decides not to wait for the phone to finish with a task, the freezing occurs, at least in my case. I'm guessing WP8 is intolerant of impatient users. I really love this phone and am quite disappointed with this constant freezes. I'm hoping it's temporary and will be fixed, otherwise it will be exchanged for something else.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

@roohan

Which app might this be? It would be ingeresting to know for future reference.

Please use plain text.
skatanic

Re: Nokia Lumia 920/820/8X freezing

I've the same problem with my Nokia 820. (no skype app installed)
It freezed 2 times While using IE and 1 time while having the device in Standby.

OS Verison: 8.0.9903.10
Firmware: 1232.2109.1242.1001
Hardwareversoin 1.0.0.0
Chip-SOC: 8960

I've reseted the device today...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
roohan

@

Please use plain text.
flopek

[ Edited ]

Just posting this happened to me today 1.5 weeks of power usage.  The symptom was a blank screen and no response from the unlock button.  The camera button would vibrate.  After pressing all three buttons for a few seconds, it restarted and came back online.  Disappointing...

I do want to to note that the last app I used prior to the freeze was Facebook, but the phone worked for about 45 minutes after that since I received and sent text message.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
botudi

there is another freeze scenario around for the lumia 920. After a call is ended the power button can't turn off the screen. Also the screen can't be turned off by the phone itself when the screen lock time-out interval is up. Still, the power button can be used to turn off the phone in the usual way. Turning the phone off and then back on resolves the issue for some time. There is no rule whatsoever (after how many calls it happens, how long the call needs to be, etc.) BUT a possible solution pointed out by some having this unusual problem is setting the time out of the screen to 1 minute.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
yohanyoung

So has there been any official Nokia or Microsoft announcement on the freezing and crashing?  I am also experiencing random, but frequent (when it happens) freezing and crashing and it is very frustrating.  I was using Nokia Maps to travel across the Twin Cities in Minnesota, and the phone froze 3 times in a span of 30 minutes while I was driving and trying to navigate.  Very frustrating.  I am thinking of taking the phone back and exchanging it, but how do I know the problem is with the phone and that exchanging it will actually fix it?  I think we really need to hear something from Nokia and/or Microsoft.

Please use plain text.
Vaccano

From what I have read, this is Nokia's only response:

"There have been reports of a small number of people experiencing this unusual performance on their Nokia Lumia 920. We are investigating but suspect some apps may be at the root of the issue when left running in the background. While we learn more, we advise people when finished with an application to navigate away using the back button to ensure it is no longer active."

Basically, it seemed like they were saying that there is  "small group of people who are doing it wrong", but it is not really a big deal.

Please use plain text.
Eric_Cuchel

[ Edited ]

Well, you can add myself to this list of freezing issues.  I have had the phone since Sunday, 11/11/12.  Phone has been brilliant, and besides the freezing, I have loved every day.  

First freeze accured after two days and 3 complete charge cycles.  I was using Nokia Drive Beta, the map stopped responding then the screen went black with no response from any keys.  About 20 seconds later the lock screen appeared again and the phone behaved normal.

Second freeze accured just yesterday.  I was trying to use Xbox Music with the phone synced to my car's bluetooth.  I selected a song, and it sat there just saying "Opening" next to the song title.  I tried to exit the app, renter the app, and same problem, would not play a song.  I hit the lock button, then reentered the app.  Same "Opening" next to the song.  I hit the back button and the screen went black.  No response from any keys.  I had to do a soft reset to reboot the phone.

Seems bluetooth is farily common at causing freezing.   I have been a WP user since the release of the orginal rev 1.4 Samsung Focus.  I am hoping that this is a software bug.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Doca

Just for the record, my Lumia 800 (yeah, 800) just happened to froze while I was listening to music using a Philips headset, on the lock screen. I was about to tap the Next button. Had to soft reset the device.

How is this related to the 920? Well, it NEVER happened since I updated the software to a Thailand variant which was the most updated back at the time. Why the heck would it happened at the same time that there are people complaining about the 920?

Today I installed NeoReader, Learning Circle and started Amazon Kindle installation, but the connection dropped so it was just sitting there with the attention requested phrase.

One thing crossed my mind: maybe there is something wrong on a Nokia/Microsoft server it connects every time it's unlock and use wi-fi? Maybe something mal-formed on the web service? Or maybe these apps are problematic?

Something out of the usual daily usage: yesterday I had used the DNLA client (PlayTo) to stream a few photos and one song to my parents' Samsung TV.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
heinsuson

The 2 NOKIA 920's on display at our Telecoms store has frozen up.  The personnel there just let them be.

Please use plain text.
Professor
KennyKB

Vaccano wrote:

From what I have read, this is Nokia's only response:

"There have been reports of a small number of people experiencing this unusual performance on their Nokia Lumia 920. We are investigating but suspect some apps may be at the root of the issue when left running in the background. While we learn more, we advise people when finished with an application to navigate away using the back button to ensure it is no longer active."

Basically, it seemed like they were saying that there is  "small group of people who are doing it wrong", but it is not really a big deal.

A small number of users? It has broken out of the forums and is all over the online world. Here's a tip from this site:

"Support staff from the three companies (MS, Nokia, HTC) have reportedly been suggesting rebooting, removing the beta release of Skype and (in the case of Nokia) booting the phone without a SIM for ten minutes, then booting with the SIM back in again, which apparently worked for one user."

Anybody tried rebooting without SIM for 10 mins and then with SIM? Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Please use plain text.
Probot

Same Problem here on my Lumia 820

Phone reboots randomly. Approx each second day (even if it is in standby).

Please use plain text.
Contributor
robertstjohnd

ok sounds like a good plan i have got my phone out of the drawer lumia 920 done a factory reset with out sim waited then done a factory reset with sim, will be trying this live tommorow as i am going to leave in standby overnight, one thin i have noticed is the time and date are correct at this momment and there has been no reseting as i write this post.

will try and play with blue tooth and other setting tommorow and post the findings back up here.

as you say desperate measures i just want to be able to use my phone on the network that i am paying for!!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
LiKwiDz

Bump! Welcome me to the club. My 920 freezes at stand-by or in the middle of an app. Worked fine for a week, now the lock ups have gradually increased. Very fustrating and want a solid answer. Posted same at MS forums.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp8-wpmusic/nokia-lumia-920-freezes/6983cd87-5cba-...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
HunterGuy2

First froze for me randomly while it was on standby, and subsequently repeatedly when connected to my cars Bluetooth. I noticed when I got home and plugged it in that it stopperefereeing, but was really sluggish and choppy. Several hours Of charging later, it is running buttery smooth again.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
robertstjohnd

last night after hard reset with sim out then with sim in i was supprised to see the phone had been stable in standby moe all of the nigh and recived text messages early in the morning the time had not gone back usuall shows 05:47 and the date (01/09/2012) after it has reset its self.

so hey i thought maybe that had sorted the problem out, so i thought i would take it out and pair it with my car 30 minuets of nokia music and several phone call out no problems were had, controls were forwarding and serching via steering wheel tracks updating on my cars display music pausing when a call was recived restarted on end of call wow, unfortunatley the phone froze on the nokia music mix screen now this may be a coincidence but it was when i put the car into reverse and my parking sensors kicked in, when this happens on my htc titan windows 7.5 it just reduces the audio output of the zune app.

the phone remained froze for about ten minuets i debonded the phone from the car and again this maybee coinidental but the phone then reset.

after finishing booting the phone paired with the car agian and booted into music and videos app updating the track info on car display but no audio or movment of track timeline on phone.

i started nokia music again and that was fine the phone still remains on and i have been using it however very wary about it.

will try the bonding with car again try the music players then im going to try nokia drive however being that this is in beta stage may give false info into the freezing booting problem, this phone is beatifull when it works i will not swap for another make of handset this issue or issues need sorting out very soon, again i antisipate the replacement of the handset from my service provider.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Rowbeartoe

GreatRe: Nokia Lumia 920 freezing

Great news. Since I replaced my phone I've had no problems. Same apps (more now) same heavy use. Been about 5 days now. No more resets, works great. Skype, Bluetooth, NFC, etc. :smileyhappy:. I strongly encourage a replacement if your having issues.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
LiKwiDz

Re: GreatRe: Nokia Lumia 920 freezing

Yeah, I plan on exchanging mine tomorrow. I purchased mine through a Microsoft retail store and it's running on At&t. Heard a lot of people still getting problems with their exchanges, but gunna try anyways. :smileyfrustrated:

Please use plain text.