Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia Lumia 920 over Heating

Matt_Samson

Nokia Lumia 920 over Heating

I know this has been mentioned before, but I am just registering that my Lumia 920 has over heating issues. The top half gets warm, then really hot.

This is not isolated, and Nokia needs to fix it.

Please use plain text.
Sage

Has not happened to me once I disabled Tap + Send (NFC). I agree that this has to be looked at by Nokia.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

A Warm phone is the sign of a busy phone. Some task is probably still running. Longpress the back button to see tasks running. Also try closing all tasks by backing out to smokescreen.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mgraymba

Sometimes the phone gets so hot I think it might burn out the inside electronics.  The phone is always warm, even when making a phone call.  If I play a game, it gets pretty hot.  Maybe this is just how the phone is built, I am not sure.  I haven't had a problem with a hot phone since the iPhone 3G.  Maybe its faulty design.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

mgraymba wrote:

Sometimes the phone gets so hot I think it might burn out the inside electronics.  The phone is always warm, even when making a phone call.  If I play a game, it gets pretty hot.  Maybe this is just how the phone is built, I am not sure.  I haven't had a problem with a hot phone since the iPhone 3G.  Maybe its faulty design.

I've put my 920 through its paces and it only got slightly warm which is fairly normal. If yours is getting uncomfortably hot then it might be worth getting it looked at by a Nokia care technician.

http://nokia.com/support

Ray.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
papadiko

MyRe: Nokia Lumia 920 over Heating

I am on my second black L920 due to overheating. The phone gets really hot when I'm using Nokia drive+ and when I was downloading some songs last night it got so hot I know the difference between worm and hot Nokia needs to.really look into this o never had this problem with my E7 or any other smart phone they can get worm under heavy usage not not under light usage.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
halobolola

Re: MyRe: Nokia Lumia 920 over Heating

i have found that when i play games, it does get hot, after around 5-10 min, i normally stop, coz i don't wana damage my phone.

i have found that with the xbox smart glass app, it does get really hot, and crashes and freezes. i am assuming the two are linked. i.e. it freezes because it is hot.

Please use plain text.
symboli

estRe: Nokia Lumia 920 over Heating

Please use plain text.
Contributor
how1ard

My 920 heats up unbelievably quickly when using maps or Nokia Drive and tanks the battery. 

Hey Nokia it would be great to hear from you about this as it doesn't appear to be that isolated, people from ALL territories are suffering from this. How about a response? 

Please use plain text.
noklongterm

[ Edited ]

I have feedback disabled could it possabily be related??  Seems to happen every few weeks..

in California .. I too have a overheating issue with my L920.. when it usually happens ..

I read while in bed hour tops b4 retiring, when finished I return to UI via MS flag button & hit off button and place near me.. once again just now I awoke from a nap with the phone very hot this time.... Cell UI face is off at time when I picked it up with Tile UI as first screen when turned on with noticeably less battery indication...  

I reboot which restores begins to cool off and return to normal.... It has also happened while in my pocket..

No backsground apps on's .. No NFC on .. with one minute to lockout screen activated..

This time I am very concerned, for I did a search on the issue..

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
revamped74

i had the same problem, but sorted it out. Try resetting the phone through setting option or try hard reset ! It solves the heating issue or w8 fr software update.
Please use plain text.
FloRic

The only time my 920 gets really hot is when i share my internet to other devices. Then it gets REALLY hot and even if i have the USB-charger into a computer, it is still loosing battery-power slightly... Charged through the regular charger it goes + though, and on battery-power the battery % drops VERY quickly.

Other than that issue the battery seems to be pretty ok, better than my old galaxy and iphone 3.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

obviously, the back of the 920 getting hot is normal because it is using two radios, the WiFi and the other the cellular, in order to make your 920 as a mobile hotspot (Internet Sharing feature).

haven't had any problems with my 920 lately, so that's great news :smileyhappy:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
1234kart

Hey All,

Even i faced this problem mutiple times with my black Lumia920

1. It was when i was using Nokia Drive+ Beta. Since i tried it using it inside my house i guess it was trying to use GPS which caused it to be overheated.
  2. When i tried to see some videos using wifi network while phone was on charging. This also overheated my phone.

The phone gets heated to the level which will not allow us to hold the phone in hand.

Nokia - we require your support in fixing this issue ASAP. Otherwise it has been a very good experience using the Lumia920.

Thanks,

Karthik

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
MRHedayati

Hi Guys,

It could be 4G as well. Once I activate 4G on the phone it starts getting warm and obviuosly the battery goes off pretty fast. When it's turned off, the phone lasts for one day and half with normal usage which I think is what meant to be.

Cheers,

Reza

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
fcorbeil

Hi,

I confirm Reza's explanation. Going back to 3G is the only working solution to prevent overheating on my Lumia 920... :smileysad:

fcorbeil
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
emilygreen

All Nokia phones are tested for heat tolerance in accordance with industry and government standards. All models meet industry standards before they are offered for sale. Only Nokia models that meet heat tolerance standards are on the market. Many phones may seem warm to the user, like most battery-powered devices during excessive use. When charging or multi-tasking, the Nokia Lumia 920 may become warm around the camera plate.  This is normal and the phone will quickly cool down again.

If my post helped you, please don't forget to click on the "White Star" and if it resolved your issue click on "Accept as Solution" :smileywink:

Nokia Lumia 920 Nokia Asha 308 Nokia 808 PureView 
Please use plain text.
Contributor
KennethC

Hi Emily,

Thanks for your post.  I understand that all phones will have some heat generated from use (whether it be for games, apps, surfing the web etc...), that's not an issue.  My issue is that my lumia 920 will get HOT, as in, it almost hurts to hold in my hand (the upper region of the phone, near the camera).  

The second issue I have is that the heat will not go away after a few minutes of non use.  Most phones will simply cool down when sitting idle.  I have experiences where the phone will get hot, I decide to close all apps/programs, turn off wireless, turn off NFC, block all background apps and let the phone sit for about 15 minutes.  After 15 minutes of sitting idle, you would expect the phone to cool off, but mine will stay hot.  My battery meter will also warn me that the battery is draining quickly (~10% every 15 minutes).  

The only solution to this that I have found was to turn my phone off and then turn it back on.  After I do this, the phone will cool down to normal idle temperatures after about 5 minutes.  This leads me to believe that there is some software or program that is running that is stuck in a loop and causing the phone to continuously run, generating more heat.  Please keep in mind that I have gone through the steps of turning all apps off and unable to run in the background, turned off wireless, turned off NFC, and I've even tried to turn the phone on Airplane mode with no success.  

This occurs randomly so I haven't been able to replicate the heating issue on a normal basis but I can say that it happens at least a few times a day, prompting me to be required to turn the phone off/on just to reset whatever is stuck in the background.  

I believe this is not a hardware defect but a software.  Something must not have been programmed correctly and certain things will trigger it to get caught in an endless loop until the phone is reset.  When people ask me if I would recommened this phone, I sadly have to say that I wouldn't due to these defects and no solution in sight.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
emilygreen

Hi KennethC

Thank you for posting and welcome to Nokia forum! :Cool:

If you think that the heat level on your Nokia phone is not within the safe range we recommend to have it assess by our engineers please click Nokia Support for further assistance.

If my post helped you, please don't forget to click on the "White Star" and if it resolved your issue click on "Accept as Solution" :smileywink:

Nokia Lumia 920 Nokia Asha 308 Nokia 808 PureView 
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
soulbytes

Same here over heat on the top back of my phone really anoying , just play wordament for a minutes and it goes hot alot. I might say this is accured because of the software problem. I went to nokia care center here in my country Indonesia, they only suggest me to wait for another software update bla bla bla. This is not a cheap phone... If its really a matter of update please make it fast. Before everyone goes back to other brand. Come on Nokia!
Please use plain text.