Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia Lumia 920 reset methods

doug_b
Accepted Solution

Nokia Lumia 920 reset methods

Dec 3 2012

Various discussions present varied methods of resetting the phone, including 2-buttion and 3-button alternatives. This date User Guide on page 95 describes the following:

If your phone isn't responding

Do the following:

• Press and hold the volume down key and power key at the same time for about 10 seconds. The

phone switches off. To switch your phone back on, press and hold the power key.

• Update your phone software.

• Reset your phone. This restores the factory settings, and erases all your personal content,

including apps you've purchased and downloaded. On the start screen, swipe left, and tap

Settings>about > reset your phone.

The first 2-key reset method, I've found is also achieved by simply holding down only the power key, which begins  a simple power-off, or switch off, function. Next is presented a "slide down to power off" top-half screen, which one swipes downward. That's it.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Entegy

Re: Nokia Lumia 920 reset methods

Well that's the normal shutdown method, but there are times where that doesn't work and the volume down+power shortcut comes in handy.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

These methods have been documented elsewhere and everywhere on these forums.

There is also a hard reset that isnt documented in the user manual, which you may need if the phone is completely unresponsive, it is the key-press version of the Hard Reset (software is Settings > About > Reset your phone). You can perform this by pressing the volume down + power + camera buttons together until the phone vibrates, then release the power button only and hold the other buttons down for another five seconds or so, then release all the buttons.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

adrianhughes wrote:

There is also a hard reset that isnt documented in the user manual, which you may need if the phone is completely unresponsive, it is the key-press version of the Hard Reset (software is Settings > About > Reset your phone). You can perform this by pressing the volume down + power + camera buttons together until the phone vibrates, then release the power button only and hold the other buttons down for another five seconds or so, then release all the buttons.

Hi Adrian,

To be honest the three button reset isn't the same as the "Reset your phone" in the settings menu on the 920. No personal data is removed after performing the three button reset. It's a different story on WP7.5 devices though where all data is deleted.

I've used the three button reset to get my phone to boot-up because the power button alone couldn't boot my phone following the two button re-boot.

All the best.

Ray.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
firecop42

I just had my blue 920 not turn on. Held the power button and no life. Did the 3 button reset and after about 10seconds the phone vibrated and turned back on. I did not loose any of my data or apps so the 3 button is not a hard reset.

I have no idea why the phone went dead. The battery is all but full. It just shut off and would not turn back on.

Frank K:squint:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Holon

I've had this happen two times in last two days after owning the phone for a week. Was about to return it until I realized I need to hold down the 3 buttons longer to force a reboot.

Please use plain text.
lgjoe10

How long does the factory reset take? I did the about -> reset your phone method and it's been showing the spinning sprokets for quite a while now. Probably close to an hour. I don't know what to do. Should I just leave it be?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

[ Edited ]

lgjoe10 wrote:

How long does the factory reset take? I did the about -> reset your phone method and it's been showing the spinning sprokets for quite a while now. Probably close to an hour. I don't know what to do. Should I just leave it be?

There have been a few such cases reported on this Forum .. If it doesn't start, just wait for the Battery to die completely and then put on Charging .. Hopefully you should first see the Battery Charging Icon and then after sometime hopefully the phone switching ON ...

Please use plain text.
doug_b

Had just turned on this 920 phone, did one upward swipe on the main display, when the 920 'locked-up' -- completely unresponsive to 1, 2 or 3 key resets. My response was to lay the phone down onto the charging pad. After a short time, less than an hour, checked and found the phone funtioning normally. This sequence performed was on a fully charged battery. Go figure.

Please use plain text.
euclid920

[ Edited ]

From reading other forums the factory reset takes hours. Sometimes it gets inloops infinite loop and may require a hard reboot w/ 3-keys. Ref: http://forums.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/209632-decided-reset-my-lumia-920-a.html

I've been considering a factory reset, after 1 week owning 920 it won't take the charge from wireless plate, although plate works fine w/other phones in store. Any suggestions?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Red519

If you're unlucky the hard reset from the setting menu will often times brick your phone. I did it once and it was all fine, I had to do it again to 'reset' some apps (Nokia Music - whatever region you first launch it at permanently locks the app to that region, even after uninstall/reinstall) and my 920 never recovered. I had to flash the device to bring it back.

Please use plain text.
FriendlyUser

Mu Nokia Lunia 920 also would not come on.  I thought it had died.  However, I read about the 3 button reset and performed it.  The phone came back on, but the data, apps etc all were intact.  I have done a hard reset using the seiing->about-> reset, but this 3 button way is certainly not a hardd reset.  I think it is the same as 2 button soft reset.  Someone from Nokia should clarify it.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
agritura

3 button worked.Does this happen, once battery is empty?
Please use plain text.
rosiegeorge83

Re: Nokia Lumia 920 Factoy Restore

hello can someone please help me, i got told by nokia to do a factoy restore on my lumia 920. which i had done but there seem to be a problem, i started the restore yesteday at three in the aftenoon and it is now 5pm the next day and it still hasnt finish. please help what shall i do. i am really worried my phone wont work again more.

if you can help please any ideas

doug_b wrote:

Dec 3 2012

Various discussions present varied methods of resetting the phone, including 2-buttion and 3-button alternatives. This date User Guide on page 95 describes the following:

If your phone isn't responding

Do the following:

• Press and hold the volume down key and power key at the same time for about 10 seconds. The

phone switches off. To switch your phone back on, press and hold the power key.

• Update your phone software.

• Reset your phone. This restores the factory settings, and erases all your personal content,

including apps you've purchased and downloaded. On the start screen, swipe left, and tap

Settings>about > reset your phone.

The first 2-key reset method, I've found is also achieved by simply holding down only the power key, which begins  a simple power-off, or switch off, function. Next is presented a "slide down to power off" top-half screen, which one swipes downward. That's it.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
wrk1971

Re: Nokia Lumia 920 Factoy Restore

Ok I had this same problem over the weekend, aka the spinning gears of death. After trying many different reboot methods and being stuck in factory reset for a day with nothing working. Finally I tried doing a combination of methods together and it work. Here’s what I did.

Phone on (showing spinning gears of death)

Fully charged

Took Sim card out

I logged into find my phone and erased my phone

https://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/my

Let it sit for 1 hour then turned it off

Press and hold the Volume down & Power buttons until the phone vibrates then release the power button but keep pressing the volume down key for approximately 10 seconds until you see a low battery on the screen.

If you don’t get the low batt and you get the Nokia lego then

press the following buttons in this order;

Volume UP

Volume DOWN

POWER

Volume DOWN.

Your phone will now automatically reboot and try again till you get the low batt

When the low batt shows up do nothing, it will turn off by itself

Let sit for 1 hour and turn back on

Press and hold the Volume down & Power buttons until the phone vibrates then release the power button but keep pressing the volume down key for approximately 10 seconds until you see a low battery on the screen.

Plug your phone into the charger when you see the low batt

If you don’t get the low batt and you get the Nokia lego and go back to the spinning gears of death then

press the following buttons in this order;

Volume UP

Volume DOWN

POWER

Volume DOWN.

Plug your phone into the charger when you see the low batt but not till you see it

Now press the following buttons in this order;

Volume UP

Volume DOWN

POWER

Volume DOWN.

Your phone will now automatically reboot it will show the spinning gears again

but within 10 mins it will start up as a new device.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jonny1991

SAME PROBLEM  from hard reset.

1. 'Start>Settings>About>Reset'.

2. Waited few hours with the spinning gear till my phone died.

SOLUTION I did:

1. Hold on to  UP Volume, Down Volume and Start button. (you will realise that the screen will show low battery)

2. Plug in the charger now.

3. Hold on to  UP Volume, Down Volume and Start button AGAIN.

4. Wait till the phone vibrate once and Nokia logo pop up before releasing UP and Start button but continue holding on Down Volume button.

5. After 5 seconds on holding Down Volume button or if you see the screen flicker on Nokia logo then release the Down Volume Button.

YOUR LUMIA 920 IS NOW GOOD TO GO AS NEW !!!

*Note: Keep trying this until you achieve. I have to try this myself twice before it worked :smileyvery-happy: & lots of prayer too ! haha

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
happycoder

My solution: leave the phone connected with the original charger for hours (I left it overnight), and then do a hard reset (hold power button + volume down until phone reboots). Then after a while, I finally got the setup screen. Battery is still very low. It seems the problem is that the phone cannot be fully or quickly charged when the gears are on the screen, so it is always in low battery status and the OS reset cannot be done in that status.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
tloker

Does anyone really know how to fix these problems?  I mean really, I have seen more combinations of key presses, and I have tried all of them and they all seem to do the same thing. Nothing! 

Does anyone have any answeer for how long the Gears should spin?  I keep seeing the question asked but no one seems to know?

Is this a Nokia Site?  Do Nokia people even look at it? 

I loveed my Nokia 920 till about three days ago.  Batter life, never stellar, but at least acceptable went to **bleep**.  Nothing on the phone changed, at least as far as I can tell.  I have turned off and deleted every potential offending APP i could find online with little or no resulting change.

Phone decides apparently on its own to start to discharge and get moderatly hot.  Then battery drains like a bucket shot by a 22.

So after trying everythiing else and with significant trepidation I tried the hard reset.  And lo and behold I get the wheels of death.  Its been over an hour.  I tried every possible combination of button presses, despite the fact that most of them seem ludicrous, I mean reall POWER, VOL UP, VOL DN, THe Release Power, the press vol dn, then up, then camera then spin on yoour head three times, then turn your phone upsde down then sing the star spangled banner, seems as effective as these offeerings.

So does anyone really know how to deal with this probelm?

Please use plain text.
joeny2172

Yes ONLY one of two methods will work...One return the phone to nokia and ask for a refond or QUIT Nokia altogether....

I hate to say it like that but I bought my Lumia 920 outright for $538 from AT&T and I love my phone but this factory rest problem or unability to delete your account without a factory rest is insane....I am not your typical cellphone user or novice and this is not the only phone i have but it has comes to the point where enough is enough...and this preticular problem is really holding me back from pre ordering the new LUMIA 1020...i also have the HTC ONE and it takes 2 miniutes to do a factory rest or even flash another rom...I am doing a factory rest right now for my Lumia 920 and its been spining the gears fo death since 9:30pm its 6:30 am now and its still spining....I am about to though it in the garabage and take my loses and quit nokia altogether.....

To honestly answer your question I don't think NOKIA even looks into the form page at all...because all i see are frustrated users and no adminstrators are available to answer their frostration...Nokia is counting on other users to answer some of those questions.....

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
neurobro

I found a faster way of getting getting the phone to work again after soft reset and eternal turning wheels.

- Open the windows phone desktop application on your computer and connect the phone.

- Press POWER+VOLUME DOWN until restart.

The turning wheels will reappear at first, but after a few minutes, the phone will restart and work normally again.

Hope this helps!

Please use plain text.