Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia Lumia 920 - shut itself off and now won't tu...

sez96

Nokia Lumia 920 - shut itself off and now won't turn on

Hi Nokia,

I'd like to call you to discuss my issues but my phone is bricked.

I got my nokia lumia 920 windows phone December 2012, and after a couple of months it froze. I used the soft reset function and it was fine. I had not had another issue until last night.

Last night when I looked at my screen it had turned itself off (it should've had reasonable amount of battery life yet I had no low battery warnings) and appeared to try to turn itself on again as I seen the telstra logo, then a black screen and the telstra logo then a black screen.

Now it is stuck on the black screen (slightly backlight)

I tried to soft reset it, it vibrates, shows the telstra logo and then goes to black screen. I have spent hours looking for other things to try. I've tried soft reset with sim in, and sim out. I've tried it connected to the computer, and to the wall charger. I've tried inserting the charger after the vibrate on reset and when on the telstra screen. I even tried a few other button combinations people suggested (which ended up being hard reset for 800)

It is still stuck on the black screen.

I have read that a new firmware update is available today but fat lot of good that is because the phone is not recognised by the computer as being connected and won't turn on.

What can I do to save my phone without losing the photos? Is there anything else I can do to start it up without losing photos?

If not, what do I need to do to get this phone working? It's been fine until this catastrophic failure.

Thanks in advance.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Re: Nokia Lumia 920 - shut itself off and now won't turn on

Did you leave it on charging for a longer time ..say upto an hour to see if that makes any difference. You may again try the Reset after that ..

Please use plain text.
sez96

Charging did not make a difference it still did not reboot with a soft reset.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Sj77

I am having the same issue, charged my phone last night, now can't turn it back on - HELP?
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ASadFan

SAME PROBLEM , PLEASE HELP :smileysad: 

Please use plain text.
Community Manager
musica

Hi All,

What charger are using to charge your respective phones? It's advisable to use the one that came with the phone. If you're using a Nokia Wireless charger, the charging time will be longer.

How long has the phone been charging?
You can leave it charging for a minimum of 1 hour or 2 hours on the wireless charger.

You can try to hold the power and down volume key for 10 seconds. The phone should vibrate and start up.

If the phone does not respond, you can try to remove the SIM card and try the same reset given above. If it's still the same, below steps is what I can suggest. This deletes all the content on the phone.

Nokia Lumia with Windows Phone 8

Step 1
Make sure the charger is disconnected.
1. Switch the power Off.
2. Press and hold the Volume down and connect the charger, if succeed an exclamation mark (!) is shown on the screen.

Step 2
Then input the keys in the following order:
1. Volume up
2. Volume down
3. Power
4. Volume down

Step 3
The phone will reset and boot up automatically. Please note that this may take several minutes.

If above would fail, it would be best to bring the phone to a Nokia Care Point for evaluation. http://www.nokia.com/global/support/locations/

Nokia Lumia 1020 - nothing comes close Nokia Asha 501 - super smart pocket power 

Follow us on Twitter Watch Nokia Support Videos

Please use plain text.
micmit

tried nokias suggestion, now my phone has a screen that says "windows failed to start. 1 insert disc!" then asks you to upload software from the inserted disk and if the disk isnt present to press "next" and "repair computer" there are no buttons, there is no response on the touoch screen, it says " status: 0xc000000f"  i need this phone to work! ASAP!!!

Please use plain text.
sez96

I use the charger that came with the phone.
I unsuccesfully tried your hard reset. Cracked it and left the phone doing nothing for month.

Have now tried again. On the screen there is a lightning/charge symbol and a gear symbol.

Does this mean it is doing anything? Or is it going to do anything? Or is it just stuck doing nothing again?
Please use plain text.
sez96

Oh and the SIM is out, cos when I tried the hard reset yesterday it wouldn't work with it in.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

If you see the anything on the screen which wasn't the case earlier, its surely a sign that something is going on .. Leave it on charge and see if the phone switches ON on its own. If it doesn't even after about an hour or so..try the Reset once again ..

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
vj12

Faced the same issue 920 suddenly switched off while using & won't turn on again. Boots up only with a charger shows the nokia logo & then goes to the slightly dark backlight screen, but unable to use it & won't hold charge. Tried soft & hard reset both. The thing just keeps restarting when i try to reset it. Took it to the care centre where the exec told me the phone's software has failed & its become a hardware issue now. So gutted right now because now i'm gonna lose all my data & the phone got spoilt for no fault of mine.
Please use plain text.