Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia Lumia 920 stuck on screen with two gears

Contributor
schinchillaboy

Nokia Lumia 920 stuck on screen with two gears

I have a nokia lumia 920 that I got at the begining of the month of April and today I went to reset it and it is stuck on a screen with two gears turning and it has not booted up since I reset it

How do I get it back to normal?

Also I noticed that on my screen I have a horrizontal thin blue line down the middle of the screen

Is that a defect or is it something that can be fixed with an update

Also has any body else had these problems?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Re: Nokia Lumia 920 stuck on screen with two gears

Try the suggestions below,if nothing helps return device to point of purchase or a nokia care center,dont forget receipt.

It is possible to fix many phone problems yourself in a few minutes – including phone freezes, application crashes, sound problems and a blank display. To save yourself time, try these three fixes.
1. Restart your phone
If the phone hardware is jammed, you should first try restart your phone. This does not reset the Microsoft Account (Windows Live ID) or remove any consumer data.
Option 1: To perform the power reset for phones with integrated battery (phone has a special electronic circuit which switches off the power when the key combination is pressed):
Switch the power On (if possible) and disconnect the charger.
Press the Volume Down + Power Key and hold them for 15 seconds.
You will feel vibration.
The phone will reset and boot up automatically.
Option 2: To perform power reset for phones with removable battery:
Remove the battery and reinsert it.
Boot up the phone normally.
2. Update the software
You might not be using the most recent software for your phone. Updating to the latest version of your phone may resolve your issue.
You can check for the availability of Lumia software updates in your region here.
3. Reset your phone
Warning: This erases all the personal content in the phone, including apps that have been purchased and downloaded (may be re-downloaded again), and restores the factory settings.
To reset your phone to the state in which the phone was in the first time you turned it on, go to Settings > About and then Reset your phone.
If you lose your phone, you can reset your phone remotely. In this option you need have the Find My Phone feature enabled and your phone must be connected to mobile network.
1. Login to http://www.windowsphone.com.
2. Click on the drop down menu right next to your name, and select the device that you would like to erase.
3. At the top left corner, you will see the name and model of the Windows Phone.
4. Click on Erase your phone.

And

Warning: This erases all the personal content in the phone, including apps that have been purchased and downloaded (may be re-downloaded again), and restores the factory settings.
Option 1: About menu
Use this option if you know the password.
This option warns about data loss.
Tap Settings > About > reset your phone.
Option 2: Hardware key combination
Use this option if you forget or lose the password.
Use this option if the phone fails to fully switch on when pressing the power on key.
Note: No warning about data loss!
Follow next steps to perform OS reset with the key combination.
Nokia Lumia with Windows Phone 8
Step 1
Make sure the charger is disconnected.
1. Switch the power Off.
2. Press and hold the Volume down and connect the charger, if succeed an exclamation mark (!) is shown on the screen.
(To cancel OS reset and exit to the normal mode, press the Volume Down + Power Key and hold them for 15 seconds).
Step 2
Then input Keys in the following order:
1. Volume up
2. Volume down
3. Power
4. Volume down
Step 3
The phone will reset and boot up automatically. Please note that this may take several minutes.
Nokia Lumia with Windows Phone 7
Make sure the charger is disconnected.
1. Switch the power Off.
2. Press and hold the Volume down and Camera keys.
3. Press and hold the Power key.
4. When the phone vibrates, release the power key, but continue holding the volume down and camera keys, until the phone reboots.

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
chsoriano

[ Edited ]

The response given is a huge waste of time - and space. This problem has existed since the Lumia 920 was released, and despite the several firmware updates, it still gets stuck on this screen when doing a reset through the phone's settings.

In fact, my phone is stuck right now (has been over 30 minutes), which is why I found this post. It is ridiculous that the only way to fix this (still) is at a Nokia location or getting a refurbished phone through AT&T. 

Moderator's note: We removed the external software mentioned in the post as this may invalidate the warranty of the phone. 

Please use plain text.
aschettler

I performed a reset today using the settings menu at the request of Nokia Care. It got stuck on the gears as well. I held down the volume and power buttons until the phone rebooted twice (you'll feel it vibrate when it reboots, so let it vibrate twice). After a few minutes, it completed the restore and I was up and running.
Please use plain text.
smacsteve

This thread is rediculous and is an insult to my inteligence.  First, how the f*&% do you power a phone down that is stuck in the spinning gears mode?!!!  Then if you let the phone depleate and then try to boot it up by plugging it in it goes into a low power mode and wont boot.  Then when it does, the damned spinning gears are back!

Besides, how the hell can a company who has made phones for this long not no how to make the damn thing do a simple restore without it freaking out and freezing in some perpetual state of restoration all the while driving someone insane?!! 

Okay, end of rant.  

Please use plain text.
smacsteve

Oh, okay great. Now that I've made my point the stupid phone decides it's ready to reboot into the setup mode.

I'll never own a Windows Phone again!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
BillyWhizz30

yep tried lots of sugeestions but this is the one that worked ...........Thanks :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
TravisLitt

I completely agree! 24 hours later still pressing and holding buttons in all the diff boot orders and the dang thing just always pops back up to the spinning GEARS!!!!!!!!! Like what the **bleep**

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
satanrulez

This worked! Thanks! I kept resetting the phone for about 4 times and it finally worked ...
Please use plain text.