Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia Lumia 920 won't turn off when charging

Altitan

Nokia Lumia 920 won't turn off when charging

My phone won't turn off if you have it on charge. It will shutdown normally and then boot back to a powered on state. If not on charge then it will power down and stay off.

How do you turn off the phone whilst keeping the charger plugged in?

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Re: Nokia Lumia 920 won't turn off when charging

Hi, and welcome to Nokia Support Discussions.

No phone will charge when turned off. Some,like Symbian phones, will switch to a sleep mode when charging from an off state and others like Windows phone devices will switch on and then go to their 'sleep' or lockscreen mode while charging.

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

The short answer is you cant. The phone will power on when charging. You could however set the phone to flight mode if your intention is to charge the phone faster. 

Please use plain text.
Altitan

Nope. That's not the problem.

My previous iPhones' allowed you to power down/ turn off (and stay turned off) the phone whilst the device is plugged into a charger.

The Nokia will turn-off and and then restart. Basically you cannot turn off the phone if you're charging it. Very annoying as I keep getting notifications sounds throughout the night.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Thats another reason for switching to flight mode. Your phone will be "disconnected" in flight mode.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

My missus has an iPhone 4 and her son an iPhone 4S, and they have both turned on when connecting them to charge, if they are turned off.

As others have said here, Flight Mode is your best bet here.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
bigbluefish

My 920 won't stay turned off even when its off the charger. I ask it to power down, but it just turns right back on.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

bigbluefish wrote:

My 920 won't stay turned off even when its off the charger. I ask it to power down, but it just turns right back on.

Sorry if you are already doing it correctly.. but after pressing the Power key (to switch it off) are you sliding the screen 'Downwards' properly ?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
maikyvenger

If you see this Nokia ad, in the final of it, when phone is charging it won't tourn on, so I have the same problem, my phone turn it on while charging http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NEAfjNhf74

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

maikyvenger wrote:

If you see this Nokia ad, in the final of it, when phone is charging it won't tourn on, so I have the same problem, my phone turn it on while charging http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NEAfjNhf74

Enough with the ad already, all WP phones turn on when charging.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Everybody just ignore that ad its not going to help or solve anything.
The phone turns on when charging full stop.
Use flight mode

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
vicky7290

having the same problem... even the heating of top part on continous usage of 10-15 minutes is very disturbing. battery drains like anything.
my previous htc wildfire worked better than this.
had great hopes with the phone while investing my savings in it. but so disappointed! 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Chrisvn

vicky7290 wrote:

having the same problem... even the heating of top part on continous usage of 10-15 minutes is very disturbing. battery drains like anything.
my previous htc wildfire worked better than this.
had great hopes with the phone while investing my savings in it. but so disappointed! 

Heating problem is one that has been covered a lot on these forums, but we still can't pin point what is at fault.

For battery drain, I managed to survive a whole day with following settings (location off, Wi-Fi off, 2G/3G/LTE off, Bluetooth off, TapTosend off, Battersaver always on), these will last for the day but yeah the phone get's pretty useless, I suggested using ConnectivityShortcuts so you can easily switch them on and off when needed.
Also don't forget when you press and hold back you see al the apps that are currently running, keep pressing back until you hit the standard UI to close all of these and last but not least disable all the background apps you can disable in settings – applications pivot (slide screen to left) – Background tasks.
This can extend your battery life enourmesly.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ish5

Using the 928.  Same "functionality".  Oh well, flight mode.

As for the iPhones, the only reason they would turn on is if you plug them in AFTER turning them off. Otherwise, they will stay off. 

Anybody say WHY the lumia - or Windows phone - can't charge whlie off?

Ish.

Please use plain text.
Jeremy441

Im also having the same problem... my phone doesn't turn off. with or without charger! 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
rjgacek

This statement is not true.  I have a Samsung Galaxy Mega 5.8 and if I plug in the wall charger when my phone is off, it will remain off.  If I plug in the wall charger while the phone is still on, and I turn the phone off while plugged into the charger it will stay off.  My wife has the Nokia Lumia 820 and it does the same.  If plugged into the wall charger the phone does not shut off, if you turn it off, it turns itself back on.

Please use plain text.