Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia Lumia 920 won't turn on

Registered Member
EnviroGuy

Nokia Lumia 920 won't turn on

Last night I put my phone into airplane mode and then plugged it in to charge, something do each evening before heading to bed.

A few minutes after I did that I went to check the time on the phone and I noticed it wasn't turned on. I ended up leaving it to charge all night hoping the alarm clock would wake the phone in the morning.

The next day the phone still won’t start, It does nothing when I hold down the power button. I've also tried holding Volume Down + Power button, the phone is unresponsive.

In the past I would just unplug the battery and plug it back in to resolve this issue. However, since this is a 920 I am unable to do so.

Advice please?

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Re: Nokia Lumia 920 won't turn on

Press Power + Volume(down) + Camera keys  until the phone vibrates Then release the power button but keep the volume and camera keys pressed down for another 5 seconds. 

See if this works ...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
DevKc

Thanks! That worked for me.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
digihill

I'm getting this just about EVERY DAY. Even after being in 'Repair' for 3 weeks. This is a great phone but a DISASTER AREA in reliability.

Please use plain text.
jajai

hi guys,,im having this issue like every day.but now,i think i've figured out the main culprit. i've uninstalled all "HERE" apps including here drive, here city lens and here maps.and now this problem yet to happen again (this is 3rd day of my experiment and my phone wont need any soft reset yet)
Please use plain text.
hfjghdghfhkf

My Nokia LM 920 when battery empty. than i chaging but won't turn on, i try to hard reset but still won't turn on, it's spend time about 40 minutes or 1 hour it's turn on by it's self. i wonder why ? if my battery empty i have to waiting for 40 minute? i just bought my phone for a few month, how should i do?

Thank you

Chanpheng 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

Do not leave the battery to get so empty that the phone turns itself off, you will eventually destroy it completely. What you are describing is perfectly normal, since the battery needs to charge to certain level before it can provide sufficient power for the phone to turn on and work.

Please use plain text.
hfjghdghfhkf

Hi, Thank you. but i think that's not resolved, because that's imposible i will leave the battery always full it's should empty oneday. and first time i used it my phone's work normally. charging 5 minute it's turn on. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Empty means till it dies down.. keep on charge once it reaches 5-7% balance level ..If you don't then the phone will shut down and depending upon the length of time between the phone switching OFF and it being again connected to charger it will take that much longer time to reach sufficient power to turn on and work.

If you immediately connect the charger when the phone switches OFF due to drained battery it will not take 40 minutes but just about 4-5 minutes ..

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mike621

my phone does the same thing: I set the alarm for morning, plug it in, and 10% of the time, it is totally unresponsive when I get up (without the alarm) Sure, a reset turns it on, but not being reliable sucks. They need to get this fixed!
Please use plain text.
hfjghdghfhkf

when i update LM920 windows phone 8. after that the phone require restart i tap OK, (While the phone update pluged gharged into my phone) then my phone restart i sleep. when i woke up in the morning my phone battery empty i wonder why i pluged chager in, how it can be empty. now my phone it's gone can't be charged can't  turn on POW+VOL+CAM hard reset or soft reset won't help me any more. anyone help me please.......

Please use plain text.
Community Manager
musica

hfjghdghfhkf wrote:

when i update LM920 windows phone 8. after that the phone require restart i tap OK, (While the phone update pluged gharged into my phone) then my phone restart i sleep. when i woke up in the morning my phone battery empty i wonder why i pluged chager in, how it can be empty. now my phone it's gone can't be charged can't  turn on POW+VOL+CAM hard reset or soft reset won't help me any more. anyone help me please.......

Have you charged your phone again? You should leave it charging for a minimum of 1 hour or 2 hours on the wireless charger.

You can also try to hold the power and down volume key for 10 seconds. The phone should vibrate and start up. If this wouldn't help, try to remove the SIM card and then try the reset again.

You can try to perform again the other resets you've done before too. Give them a shot or two. Make sure that you are doing it right.

If above would fail, the best thing to do is to bring it to a Nokia Care Point for inspection: http://www.nokia.com/global/support/locations/

Nokia Lumia 1020 - nothing comes close Nokia Asha 501 - super smart pocket power 

Follow us on Twitter Watch Nokia Support Videos

Please use plain text.
qiangchen

This happened to me twice in the last few weeks.  Held down the power + volumn down buttons for about 20 seconds woke up the Lumia 920 both times.  I normally turn off bluetooth but turned it on the use 'Tap and Send' to transfer photos to another Lumia. Both times when I did that, the phone stopped responding a few minutes after the transfer.  Other than that, the phone is great.  Will stop using 'Tap and Send' again until this issue is resolved.

Please use plain text.
Kiksy

I have the same problem, I have got the phone from 2 days only.

I was downloading a game today, there was still some battery left, like 35% but then i kept it downloading, when i tried to unlock it to check if it has finished nothing happened, it was dead, so I thought the battery got empty, i put it on the charge the whole day, till now 3 am I try to open it but nothing, so I did like you said and it worked but I want to ask, won't that affect the phone? like if it kept happening everyday, won't it destroy the battery or the phone?

I still have 3 months warranty, so they can change the phone and give me a new one, but do all the Lumia 920's have the same problem? then there will be no point in changing it, right?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
excitetaxis

Your suggestion works, BUT the Lumia 920 keeps going off by itself.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

excitetaxis wrote:

Your suggestion works, BUT the Lumia 920 keeps going off by itself.

Try with another New SIM. If the SIM is worn out or badly cut (from regular SIM to Micro SIM) this may happen ...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
areid

Re: Nokia Lumia 920 won't turn on after I reset the phone

Hello!

Yesterday I reset my lumia 920, I have done this once before without any problems, however this time it has decided to not charge up properly or turn on.

The screen shows 2 cogs turning, which is does endlessly, I left it for a few hours to see if it would eventually work, however the phone was getting too heated so I unplugged it from the charger.

Alternatively I tried the LOW VOLUME + POWER + CAMERA - this only resulted in a false sense of hope, the nokia screen appeared, then a white line briefly showed for half a second at the bottom of the screen, then the low battery symbol appeared.

I did reset the phone on low battery and it has been an exceptionally hot day, I left it in the car which may have heated it up... however the phone had time to cool down before I tried any of this.

What can I do to fix it? I refuse to accept it being broken - my previous phones survived water damage, cracked screens etc... I love this phone too much to let it go.... and it is ridiculously expensive to buy again... NOOOOO.

HELP x

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
MoiFou

This "won't turn on" thing just happened to me.  My phone is 2 days old.  It's my second Nokia Lumia 920.  The first one wouldn't charge, but thought it was charging even when it wasn't plugged in.  But I digress.

My battery life was fine when my phone wouldn't turn on.  The screen did freeze immediately before refusing to turn on. 

Out of curiosity, did any of you try to sync with your PC using the "Windows Phone app for PC" while your phone was refusing to turn on?  I did, and my computer sensed that my phone was plugged in and working, but complained that I needed to unlock it.  Of course, without the display turning on, I couldn't unlock it.

I wonder if what's happening is NOT that the phone won't turn on, but that the display won't start.  If any of you get the problem again, I'd be curious to know if your PC thinks the phone is working.

Thanks for the soft reset tip!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
surtr9

OP @EnviroGuy @Mike621 @qiangchen @MoiFou Yup, absolutely the same problem. Lumia920.

- problem occurs during overnight charge: I wake up to find that the screen won't turn on and won't respond to buttons. 

- computer senses it normally when it's plugged in (suggest a screen thing)

- the soft reset (POWER + VOL DOWN extended press) works

- it doesn't occur when I'm using the laptop to charge it using the always-on USB port, but it DOES occur when I've used either of my two Nokia approved USB chargers. 

- I don't know if this is related: lately the antenna has been going funny and the signal just drops out for no clear reason, whereas before it had the strongest signal out of all of my friends' handsets. 

I might have to go about deleting apps and seeing if that helps... not keen on deleting the Maps app as I use it quite a bit. Might also change my screen settings. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
surtr9

Hi guys, 

- the volume button was also going crazy - refusing to let me increase the volume and just automatically decreasing it to zero. I don't think it was dust (because I used the vacuum cleaner and brushes to gently suck any particles out). Think this was maybe related to the problem. 

- but now it's FIXED. I went on an app deletion rampage, including Here Transit, Authenticator and a whole bunch of apps I don't use. Then soft reset - got a bit worried because it rebooted, then immediately rebooted again, but has been normal since then. Let me know if you are really attached to any apps and I can tell you if I still have them. 

HT

Please use plain text.