Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia Lumia 925, MTP USB Device driver error

Contributor
Goldwein

Nokia Lumia 925, MTP USB Device driver error

Hi,

I'm frustrated and quite desperate. My Lumia works ok with my notebook, but I can't make it work with my computer running Windows 7 x64.

When I connect the phone, installation of drivers ends up with MTP USB Device driver error. Specific error is "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)".

I tried everything I found here and all over the internet:

- restarting the phone,

- trying all different USB ports (on the front and back)

- unplugging all possible USB 1.1 devices

- uninstalling USB Controllers,

- explicitly downloading drivers from catalog.update.microsoft.com,

- uninstalling MTP USB Device,

- reinstalling MTP USB Device,

- installing Media Pack,

- updating user-mode driver framework,

- and more.

In application events, Windows Error Reporting says this:

"Windows was able to successfully install device driver software, but the driver software encountered a problem when it tried to run. The problem code is 31."

The sad part is that I'm kernel driver developer myself, yet I can't find what's happening here.

Does anyone have any advice how to troubleshoot this?

Thank you,

Robert

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

Re: Nokia Lumia 925, MTP USB Device driver error

You can bet it is an issue with the PC. 

Try this:

1. with phone connected uninstall the drivers for the phone and MTP drivers

2. remove he phone and switch off

3. While off re-attach to another post and waitt for it..

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Goldwein

Thanks for quick reply, I tried this before, I read this here already.

The result was that it tired to install NOKIA BOOTMGR, failing with message Device Unplugged. Then appears usual message, MTP USB Device: Failed.

Thanks...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

What hardware are you trying this on, have you tried an additional USB interface card to try? I honestly doubt this has anything to do with the phone, especially since you mentioned it works fine on your laptop.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Goldwein

This is high performance computer, Spermicro, dual Xeon workstation. The very same machine works, that buffles me even more.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
hpholm

Some more suggestions if you haven't done this already:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-hardware/driver-software-encountered-...

The BIOS and motherboard driver updates or the sfc/scannow has worked for me in the past solving similar errors.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Goldwein

Hi, many thanks for your answer; I used SFC to scan all protected files, I have the most recent bios (main board is Supermicro Dual Xeon X7DWA-N), but still, as soon as I connect my Lumia 925, I immediately see MTP USB Device failed.  I'm out of troubleshooting options.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

You buy a PCI USB2 card for a few bucks.. try that if only to make sure..

---

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Goldwein

Yes, we have various hardware here, still the same message. Getting more and more desperate, since I have *no* idea how to troubleshoot that, even though I have quite a deep knowledge of Windows Driver stack (I'm developing special kernel drivers for Windows). But thanks anyway.

Please use plain text.