Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia Lumina 800 Change Font Size ?

markff

Nokia Lumina 800 Change Font Size ?

[ Edited ]

I just got a new Nokia Lumina 800, and the text font is so small I cant read most it.

(I've some replies where nokia are claiming itsa 'visually impaired' problem. Nokia take note.... I had an eye test recently and have 20/20 vision).

Googling I cant believe there is no facility to change font size. YOU CANT CHANGE THE TEXT FONT SIZE ??? Was the device only useability tested on teenagers ?

Nokia:  so my question is specifically WHEN will there be an update to correct this ? Or do i return the device and switch to android ?

I'd priortise this a an URGENT issue.

Please use plain text.
Sage
kevgallacher

Re: Nokia Lumina 800 Change Font Size ?

There is nothing to fix so there will be no update to change this.

The default text size is perfectly legible.

The only text that I would say is too small is the small text that appears in the monthly calendar view.

If you truely have 20/20 vision there should be no problem.

Internet explorer allows you to zoom and certain apps allow different font sizes.

In the future I'd suggest you buy a phone with a larger screen.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
FatWombat

+1

This is one of the first things I noticed when I started using my Lumia. Hopefully there will be an update to allow changing the default font size at the system level instead of relying on applications to provide this function.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
anseio

Given that so many different font sizes are used throughout the WP7 UI... where, specifically, are you finding it hard to read?

I, too, have fantastic vision and have no issues reading anything. That which is too small to read can be double tapped to expand or pinch zoomed.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
FatWombat

Good question - there are many fonts, so sticking to the standard applications I have...

* Settings

Under the "system" page we have "ringtones+sounds" which I find very easy to read.

Below that is the name of the selected ringtone (eg. "Nokia tune"). This is something that I find difficult to read.

* People

Look at the profile of a person and information such as phone numbers and email addresses are displayed in this same size font, although they use the alternate colour. I would like to display the phone number in the same size as "call mobile" but in the same alternate colour

Sure, my eyesite is not as good as it was when I started working, but as the years go by I realise that getting older is not restricted to "other people" :-)

Please use plain text.
Sage
newneotoo

@fatwombat

I would say that your vision is not 20 20 if you can't read those fonts.

I am a glasses wearer and I can read them without a problem.

What I would suggest is have you tried changing the background to light? This improves legibility no end.

Please use plain text.
Sage
newneotoo

@fatwombat I meant not 2020 for reading.. sorry wasn't trying to be rude.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
FatWombat

@Sage No problem - I don't have perfect vision and have had to start wearing glasses in recent years. I can read these details when I wear my glasses, but on my old phone I could get away without wearing them.

The ability to change default font sizes is something that appeals to me, it sounds like the defaults suit most people

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

I too wish the main font throughout the Lumia could be set a little larger, I'm sure it will be better on the Larger Lumia 900, but on the 800 it is a little too small, there are some Twitter apps where you can change font size and these are much easier to use, so it must be possible ?

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Sage
MrOddJob

I too would like a larger font mainly in the contacts as you cannot zoom in to help, I wear glasses and although I can read the font it is difficult for me and sometimes do miss read them when giving someone else the numbers in the contacts, I'm sure this should be possible as there is plently of room for larger fonts. Please take a look at this Nokia I did mention it shortly after buying the phone last year.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
FatWombat

Yes, it is possible for application developers to use whatever font they want and they can also add functions to allow the user to change these. These are dependent on the application though any changes in one application would not change other applications.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hubrad

For me it's particularly the contact details.. just too tiny for comfort!

However, I noticed that the colour of the font in Contacts - only the details, not the headings - changes with Theme. Some colours are way harder to read than others, e.g. purple.

Tough luck, I suppose, that the colours I like are the tricky ones! Some of the more naff Theme colours are ok to read. I guess I'll just have to set aside style for function!

Please use plain text.
Sage
kevgallacher

[ Edited ]

I just dont understand the issues here. The text under the contacts looks to be the same size as text that appears on emails, the What's new section under people hub or the mobile version of this site. I wouldn't want it any larger, there isn't that much screen room as it is. The only thing that could cause visibility issues is screeen brightness and the choice of colours used.

If anything some of the fonts could stand to be a little smaller. like the music player, quite a few of the bands in my phone, the text goes off the screen so you can't see the full title. The same happens with the app marketplace, I would prefer the text being smaller but it's not a huge deal.

Please use plain text.
Sage
MrOddJob

@ kevgallacher

You are very lucky to not have an issue with the font size, some of us don’t have perfect vision and it would make life a lot easier to be able to choose a font size and colour that best suits our own visual ability. If you open a contact up and have a look at the headings which are in white against the black background (if you have dark set for back ground) then under that is the details that you enter, they are almost half the size of the heading font and are the same colour as the selected theme so I have chosen the lime green theme as this helps to make them clearer for me. Don’t know if you have heard but some people do suffer from colour blindness so some colour combination mean that they wont see some colours at all. So please this is an issue for me and some other users, I happy to hear your vision is excellent and its not a problem for you but it may not be like that for ever so this might become an issue for yourself one day. Please Nokia have a look at this and update it to either allow us to customize the font or allow pinch to zoom.

Please use plain text.
Sage
newneotoo

@MrOddJob

Font customization won't happen I don't reckon but in fairness the OP did say he had 2020 vision which he clearly does not.

There is a website that MS has put up for suggestions for updates and features to the OS (this isn't a Nokia thing this is os level)
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Pasha_NC7

The SMS conversation view has fonts that are too small. This happens also for the contact Details. Moreover there is no pinch to zoom for these pages. Strange to say those phone Os developers never care about people Around 40. They simply forgot we are here. Eyesight becomes less sharp and user experience should be relaxing at all times for everybody. It takes 15 minutes to a programmer to solve this, So Nokia make your voice heard in Windows Phone Os! Best Pasha
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

[ Edited ]

Post covers E series phone, moved to separate thread

Please use plain text.
Professor
caitlin1759

Is this a "feature"of all windows phones or just Lumia?.it seems very bizarre, when did you last , if ever, come across a phone which does not have adjustable font size?

And what on earth was the point of making the calendar text so tiny?
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
glowinghand

Nokia must advertise that windows phones are only for people with 20/20 eye sight......... can they ??????

Please use plain text.
Contributor
whateh

as i had my post removed (aparently incorrect information, which it wasnt)

I know this forum is read by Nokia staff..

I will post a question rather than a comment...

To Nokia, I would like to know if there is a fix/update being looked into or considered to solve this issue?

and if there is when would it be released?

Thanking you in advance for your answer

Please use plain text.