Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia Lumina 800...YEY!! Lumina 700...WHAT HAPPENE...

Counsellor
kolembo

Nokia Lumina 800...YEY!! Lumina 700...WHAT HAPPENED?!?!

My boyfriend and I are die hard Nokia fans...and we have been waiting for this for a while. We have held the fort...you all know what that's been like against the two other OS's.

We saw the 800. It's beautiful. We saw the 700. It sucks.

What's up with the design team?

The 800 is REALLY expensive.

ok necessary, but really why would you then make the 700 ugly?

look. you'll loose the game!

what happened to the thought behind the 5310?

democracy for the masses?

how are you gonna be proud of an ugly phone?

Can the 800 design team just take over 710 and get on with it?

save on materials by all means that's understood but you don't need to be selling clogs no matter how comfortable they are.

please.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Re: Nokia Lumina 800...YEY!! Lumina 700...WHAT HAPPENED?!?!

WELL if you cant afford the 800 get the 710 looks are not everything its whats underneath...

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kolembo

hm. You'd go out wearing scholl's eh?

I tell you, Nokia will not survive the 710. It's an important launch, at least design th 'cheap and cheerful' one for some impact.

Impact need not be loud. How can you follow the 800 with the 710 knowing that this is the phone you'll REALLY be offering the market?

People are just WAITING to have someone put the new nokia down on the table at coffee.

This is like turning up with Aunt Margaret and her bi-focals.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

If you have nothing else to do but rant i suggest you go elswhere.
Nokia have made two fantastic devices here and to suit certain markets and peoples pockets.
And to answer your rather silly statement i dont go out wearing scholls,

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kolembo

Eh?

This is not a rant. A discussion on the design of the 710 is what I'm trying to prompt.

And Jimmy, ranting is all over your posts. Why don't you just tell me WHY the 710 is good design and not pretend like only certain sorts of people can afford good design?

Why would you want to dilute my discussion?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

No comment i ain't ranting at all.
is there somebody pointing a gun to your telling you to buy it?

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kolembo

no, should i get a galaxy?

The point is, what's going on with the design and do others like it, and why.
The fact that we can buy what we want is...well it stands as it does.

Design can be desirable. The 800 looks like it was designed to be. The 700 does not.

My opinion. And I'd like to hear from anyone who thinks the same or otherwise.

Why did YOU buy the Samsung?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

why i bought the Samsung has.nothing to do with this conversation

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kolembo

...you just needed a phone right...?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
LandoftheRich

Looks are subjective. I actually think the 700 in black is moderately attractive in an Elaine from Seinfeld kind of way. Its no 800, but besides the N9, what is? I will agree that design and build quality matters A LOT, particularly in Nokia's case. It's one area where they have the potential to blow away the competition.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kolembo

Thanks.
Yeah, looks are subjective, but that's where I think that's exactely where it is with Nokia. There was a period, right around the mid 2000s when its hardware was unbeatable, and not just in spec. I honestly think the 7210, the 5310, the 6000 slide etc, each where breaking ground in how the phones made you feel about yourself, AND Nokia.
The N8 was a step back to putting that at the center of what it means to own a Nokia, and the beautiful glass-slab-on-polycarbonate-block of the Lumina 800 goes further.
The Lumina 710 looks like an after-thought in EVERY sense of the term.
I don't understand who they think would want to own it, who they're trying to sell it to.
It has colorfull back panels.
You see, Nokia is going to be bought en masse (we assume) by the 3310 people...by the body behind Nokia.
If you price design out of reach, AND give up your OS, which they had to do, what differentiates your product, and how do you show this?
Look at the 710 and ask yourself, what is it telling you?
The reason I'm so passionate about it is because Nokia are going to get bashed by it, and then wonder why.
They should scrap it, reduce the price of the Lumina 800, watch the market impact and then allow the planned Lumina 900 to really take it to the competition.
With the Lumina 710 out there, wearing the face of Nokia, the only conversation people will be having is about the fellow in the bad frames hogging the cheese tray in the corner.
You've got to be coming with more than just windows.
The 800 does that. The 710 undoes it.
And where they've placed it in the market, Samsung, Sony Ericsson and HTC will eat it as appertif.
The Lumina 800 makes sense where the 710 is. It's the price you must pay to re-establish the presence en mass.
Or leave it where it is, just hide the 710 until you can revisit the issue.
Otherwise you'll be stuck with what you came with, and that impression will stick.
How long will it take to look beyond the hoax called i-phone?
You see, at least then you're hanging out on the Sofa.
See what I mean?
The Lumina 800 is right, but at that price, it's just another phone with people ALREADY weilding other brands. It won't hang around, it won't stick.
What will is the elephant in the room.
Not that elephants are ugly.

At least they have memory.
Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

I'm confused by this discussion, but on the other hand, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Look here:

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/reviews/item/13431_Nokia_700.php

You should get a huge photo of what the 700 looks like in black, in someone's hand.  What's wrong with this photo? 

I've got expensive phones, and I've got inexpensive phones.  I love my N8 for what it is, and does, but there are times I'd rather put the SIM card in something simple.  I would have zero problems with a phone that looks like this.

(Whether or not I'd be satisfied with the OS is a different story, but I haven't tried one yet, so can't say very much.  If I could buy one tomorrow just to try out, and if the price was reasonable, I'd go down to the store and get one.)

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Oops, wrong 700 photo....

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

[ Edited ]

This is the photo that I should have linked to, but my comments are the same.  I've got no problems with the looks of this phone.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/56288000/jpg/_56288887_lumia710.jpg

(....but what's on the screen is another story completely...)

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kolembo

ok, thanks, anyone else?

I'm grinning you see, even here the immediate thing to do is excuse the phone.

What I'm saying is that good design needn't be expensive, that the Lumina 800 has got is right, that the release of the 710 as is will damage Nokia.

Why is Nokia selling Windows? Windows should be selling Nokia. There is no reason whatsoever why people should not be able to put the phone down on the table and immediately feel like they're carrying/using something special, something new.

It IS possible. What I'm saying is, why is Nokia HAPPY with this design?

Why are you? Having no problem with a phone and being pleased to own it are two different things.

Yes, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. So why does the team think this is beautiful? Why do you?

And if so, then apply that to the Lumina 800 and apply the lumina 800 design brief to the 'cheap and cheerful' masses.

They'd make a lot of people happy.

As it is, what we've got is - ehhh, I don't mind it...Windows is strange...but I'm getting used to it...have you seen the 800?

Really? So what are we talking about on this auspicious occasion? I tell you, even Microsoft will balk.

Pull the 710, sell the 800 cheaper, accept the cost at the moment and watch your market share grow.

Or become happy with - it's ok.

It doesn't have to be that way. Infact, I think Nokia will pull the 710 anyway. Having it sit in the market alongside the 800 that everyone is admiring and no-one is buying will make the point quick enough.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kolembo

I'm talking design here. Can anyone tell me why you would want to buy the Lumina 700 based on its looks?

Arguing that looks aren't everything is missing the point and it's what Nokia is struggling with at the moment.

It's clear and I'm wondering why no-one is helping them get it.

It's like, '...save SAAB!'

ya, well, basics. Make the phone desirable.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

Re: Nokia Lumia 800...YEY!! Lumia 700...WHAT HAPPENED?!?!

I have never bought a phone based on its looks and couldn't care less about them. If the phone does well what I need it to do and the price is right, I buy it.

And please get at least the name right - it's Lumia, not LumiNa.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kolembo

That's very special of you.

The rest of us wouldn't mind something that looks nice.

Anyway, the 800 is here. Yey! I hope the rest of the line-up is as exciting.
Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Kolembo, what '93tid' said is exactly how I feel. Looks are nice, but they are way, WAY down on my list of priorities. What counts to me, is function.

I have nothing against the design of the 700. As I said, I'd buy one tomorrow if it were available and inexpensive (and then I could find out for myself what's going on with Windows, and how good/bad it is).

For some people a phone is a fashion statement. Fine, they can buy what they like - but so can I, and I can't see anything yet about the 700 that looks "wrong".

Some people like blue. Some like black. It's all personal taste. Obviously you don't like the 700, so you won't buy one, but don't prevent others from buying it just because you don't like it.

When is the last time you looked at the full range of Nokia phones? Nokia has more phones than anyone can keep track of, and perhaps they want to make one for each person's different taste, just as they have been doing.

Oh yeah, please don't consider me a "fan-boy" or anything, because I haven't seen anything yet to justify switching from Symbian to Windows, at least for me. I guess I'd like to give Windows a try, but my gut feeling is it's NOT for me. (In the two photos I posted up above, the "mistake" 700 is what *I* want my phone display to show, not what's shown on the display in the correct photo....
Please use plain text.
Advisor
fraggeskeh

@Mike_Myers_N8: May I add something to this conversation? I agree wholeheartedly with kolembo's point that releasing two phones that are very similar, with the major difference being that one is sleek and pretty and the other is just satisfactory in comparison. This will lead to exactly the kind of response she pointed out, and in fact I already see the response on these forums before the phone is even released ("oh beauty's in the eye of the beholder", "looks are not everything" etc).

The truth is that yes, visual appeal is generally low on the list of "musts" when purchasing a new phone - its a nice addition, but you're looking for funtionality and features, as well as longevity with future updates and a decent apps environment. But what happens when you are presented with 5 different phones that all have the same functionality, the same features, and varying (negatively to Nokia) app environments? One of the only tools the consumer has left to make their important decision (usually for 1-2+ years of use) is the physical design of the phone - has the company put time and effort into the design? It might not be immediately obvious, but good physical design translates, mentally, to good overall design - it shows that the manufacturer actually cares about the product; that it is actually quality and not just another filler-product; that it will be at least part of the manufacturer's future product focus.

Just remember that we're not talking throw-away nokias, we're talking smartphones, and the two markets are VERY different.

Please use plain text.