Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia Maps offline with Lumia 800

Registered Member
jpkx

Nokia Maps offline with Lumia 800

Hi,

I've seen discussions from half a year ago on the use of Nokia Maps with the Lumia 800 - only possible when with online data services. I bought the phone 3 weeks ago and was shocked to find out it only worked online ... not at all the way it was advertised (imho).

Nokia Maps ''always free of charge'' was the one big reason I decided for a Nokia loyalty rather then going to Samsung or Apple ... yes I feel rather stupid with my phone choice now :-(

So:

1. Is / will Nokia Maps be available soon for Lumia 800 in offline mode, like the good old Nokia I had for 4 years?

2. Is there a good alternative (is Drive really an alternative and is truly offline)?

3. If none of the above - which Nokia smartphone does work offline with Nokia Maps? I still have a week's time to bring it back to the store!

Thanks... from an unfortunately rather disappointed Lumia 800 buyer 

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

[ Edited ]

Hi jpkx,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum.

Nokia Maps requires a live data connection for a number of features and does not preload mapdata. What you are referring to is the app Nokia Drive, the turn by turn navigation app for Lumia Windows Phone. This app works in offline mode and preloads maps (using a WiFi connection for the download) for the country of your choice. When you remove all the features which require a live data connection from Nokia Maps you pretty much have an app very similar to Nokia Drive in offline mode so I would suggest you use that instead.

Hope this helps,

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Sage
banlec

"Nokia Maps requires a live data connection for a number of features" - so, it means, if you are abroad and disable data connection in roaming you will have no use of Nokia Maps.

Please use plain text.
_Marshy_

It will work abroad in offline mode as long as you have pre-loaded the map of that country over wifi...

What I can't seem to do is set a start point other than my current location. eg: If I wanted to calculate a mileage or plan a future journey. Does anyone know how to do this ????

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi _Marshy_

Thanks for posting and welcome to the forums.

You are confusing two applications;

Nokia Maps does not preload Maps and a live internet connection is always required to use it.

Nokia Maps is an app which will show walking routes and public transport (where available) as well as points of interest in the area you are currently. You can plot routes from your current location by keeping the destination location selected until the location popup appears. If you now select this you see the information on the selected location, you can plot (walking) directions there from your current location and find (interesting) locations nearby the selected point.

Nokia Drive uses preloaded maps data and can be used in offline mode.

Nokia Drive is an app which will allow you to select an address to drive to and provided voice guidance on a turn by turn basis. It will show landmarks and give you speed limit alerts. It has several different views like 2D/3D and night/day.

Hope this helps,

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
bill_pj

I think that Nokai's publicity has been a bit misleading here. So too are statementsin these forums  that purchasers of these new Nokia phones are "confusing two applications". For long-standing users of Nokia phones, acustomed to an application called "Nokia Maps" on Symbian devices such as (in my case) the N8 it is Nokia who have caused the confusion: On Symbian a key feature of the application called "Nokia Maps" is the ablity to pre-load maps for entire countries and then use them in offline mode while roaming, thereby avoiding high data costs. The application with exactlky the same name in Nokia's Windows Phone devices does not have this capability... but the marketing of these phones has mada a big deal of the offline "free" maps. Yes they are free and offline in "Nookia Drive, but they are not in "Nokia Maps". This is indeed confusing, and what makes it irritrating is that it is the long-standing, loyal customers who are moist likely to be caught out by it since they are the ones who through experience have a higher, and better, expectation of Nokia's developers. An expectation which in this case is not being met. All rather disapointing, and like an earlier poster on this topic I wonder if I would have been (or will be?) better served by an Apple or Samsung device.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ronfr

If you are looking for a phone supporting both maps and drive offline, choose Nokia N9. In addition you will have a good integration between contacts, maps and drive. Press the car icon from the contact details and it drives you to the postal address. Press the Navigate button from Nokia Maps and it opens Nokia Drive to drive you. Differences between Nokia Drive on N9 and on Lumia: no ETA (estimated time of arrival), no automatic day/night color, less efficient speaker. But on Nokia N9 you can have voice with street names, same presentation and colors in Maps and Drive, more options to select items  to display on maps in Drive mode. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
SequoiaGrove

Yes, it would be epic if Nokia Maps would use the maps stored in Nokia Drive, when not  having data connection. It could just ignore all the things that require data access. It makes no sense that the the app doesnt work when you need it most.

Anyone know the data bandwidth it uses, so one could estimate the cost of a search (plus the data used by the phone in general checking messages and notifications during the 5 minutes you's use Nokia Maps)?

On my work IPhone I experienced that the provider locked data access after 5 mins of turning on the data, because they autolock it after spending 27 euro on data. And this is with the new EU deal of 85cents per MB. So it is a scary switch to flip on when roaming.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mathe226

[ Edited ]

SequoiaGrove wrote:

Yes, it would be epic if Nokia Maps would use the maps stored in Nokia Drive, when not  having data connection. It could just ignore all the things that require data access. It makes no sense that the the app doesnt work when you need it most.

The Symbian version of Nokia Maps several years ago had full functionality when offline, so it should definitely be possible. The only limitation were a less comprehensive list of POIs, but the offline list of POIs were usually good enough.

Please use plain text.
Sage
optiplex330

ronfr wrote:

If you are looking for a phone supporting both maps and drive offline, choose Nokia N9. In addition you will have a good integration between contacts, maps and drive. Press the car icon from the contact details and it drives you to the postal address. Press the Navigate button from Nokia Maps and it opens Nokia Drive to drive you. Differences between Nokia Drive on N9 and on Lumia: no ETA (estimated time of arrival), no automatic day/night color, less efficient speaker. But on Nokia N9 you can have voice with street names, same presentation and colors in Maps and Drive, more options to select items  to display on maps in Drive mode. 

I have both N8 and N9. For navigation purposes, N8 is superior to N9. For example, once you have over 100 Favorites, N9 Maps will choke, literally. On the other hand, N9's Drive is OK.

Please use plain text.
AnderC

So Nokia is now saying it is IMPOSSIBLE to add offline maps to Lumia 800 and 900 but it will be added to Lumia 820 and 920.

http://conversations.nokia.com/2012/09/06/nokia-maps-for-windows-phone-8-goes-offline/#

So, WE 800 and 900 users WERE ALREADY ABANDONED WITH THE EXCUSE THAT IT IS TECHNICALLY IMPOSSIBLE. Nokia, please, we are not stupids kids here. Technically possible to add it on Drive but impossible on Maps? OH COME ON!!!!! Are your developers that bad?

I have always been a Nokia user, I EVEN CHANGED TO WINDOWS because of you guys, and I hate Windows. Oh how I miss my X6 with Symbian, best maps ever. Now I am stuck with a Lumia 800 in a 2 year contract and THE ONE REASON WHY I GOT THIS PHONE DOESN'T WORK AND WON'T WORK IN THE NEAR FUTURE.

My next phone will be an Android, Nokia never again.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mathe226

[ Edited ]
So earlier Lumia buyers were just full paying beta testers?
When developing the new Lumia you realized that full offline navigation were one of your strongest sides. When developing the Symbians that was one of your main arguments for buying it.
http://conversations.nokia.com/2011/11/23/use-maps-offline-when-you-travel/
But for us who bought one of the early Lumias, there were no understanding shown at all for all loyal customers missing Nokia Maps working as it should.
If it's not possible to use the new Nokia maps version because of some undefined "technical reasons" in a few months old Lumia, you should at least port the Symbian version to Lumia. That would be fine for me.

Do you really think that all of your customers can afford buying a new premium smartphone once a year?

Please use plain text.
LillOrvar

[ Edited ]
Hi, When I read this tread, I recognize my own frustration as I also bought a Lumia a couple of months ago, only to find out that there where no offline maps, luckily I was able to return the Lumia and could go back to my old Nokia C5. I have a Nokia C5 today and appreciate and use the Nokia Maps function a lot, especially when I am abroad. I have tried to find out if the Lumia 920 has real offline maps, but are, after my earlier experience suspicious if the Nokia Maps really are as offline as in the Nokia C5. Could anybody confirm that Lumia 820 and 920 have real offline maps? Meaning that even if no SIM card is inserted in the phone or if I am out in the forest somewhere with no network coverage, or if roaming is turned of, that the maps really are functioning as they do in the old C5.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
busman001

Confirmed

Please use plain text.
homeboy

Lack of offline Nokia maps for Lumia 800

I agree with prvious posts on this issue. I have a Lumia 800 and one of the reasons influencing my selection of this phone was my previous X6 and the Nokia maps applications which I used extensively. I feel cheated to find that, unlike the X6, the maps will not work offline. I've given it a fair trial  but on nearly every occasion when I've tried to use the maps they have been unavailable owing to a poor phone/data connection.  They are essentially useless to me. Even in my own home I can't use them without connecting to wifi. When travelling around the countryside it is not often that the connection is good enough to use the maps. The Nokia Drive application works OK but is no substitute for the offline Nokia Maps.

Acknowledging the issue,  I see Nokia intend to have offline maps on Windows 8 phones but what about 7?

When are Nokia going to address this issue for thre Lumia 800?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
reimsvs

Hi there,

I only write here to express my dissapointment and hopefully Nokia is reading any of these posts here.

I was wanting to switch to the Lumia 800 thinking that Nokia Maps are available offline as on my old E6. Reading here that this is not the case, has changed my mind now and I am likely to go with another brand.

@Nokia: We all know that the company is not doing too well at the moment, and personally, I found that combining Nokia with Windows is brilliant. But this "mistake" with the maps will have cost you quite a few customers. These are basics that have to be done right by a company that has defined the mobile phone market like Nokia did.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
lord_farquaad

reimsvs wrote:

Hi there,

I only write here to express my dissapointment and hopefully Nokia is reading any of these posts here.

I was wanting to switch to the Lumia 800 thinking that Nokia Maps are available offline as on my old E6. Reading here that this is not the case, has changed my mind now and I am likely to go with another brand.

If you're going to change phone, you may as well change to a 820 or 920. the 800 is over a year old and things have moved on. No point going to a different phone because, in all honesty, they won't be as good as a Nokia. sure, you might get offline maps, but the rest of the phone and os is rubbish compared to nokia. if you get the wp8 nokias, they have offline maps. it will what you want.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
lord_farquaad

Nokia please update Nokia Maps with offline maps for wp7. I have a Lumia 800 which is great, but the technology of offline maps has been around for a long time and by Nokia as well. It seriously cannont be that difficult for you to put it into your own phones. There is a large demand for it.

Please use plain text.
gora_k66

Yes, Nokia Maps on Lumia 800 is such a dissappointment!.. Even when I have unlimited data from giffgaff using maps when I walk is very inconvinient. I need to scroll through the lines like "turn left" or "head south-east" all the way and have to find out somehow where that f%*^ing south-east is. I greatly miss my old Nokia 500 with Belle where there was just a clear arrow leading you wherever you need to get. And there was a compass built in which let you know where to go right away.

All I can say about maps on my Lumia 800 is - **bleep**. I was stupid to buy it.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Flyer60

Hi. Like most of the other posters I upgraded to the lumia 800 from a previous nokia phone, the N95. I had been very happy with the fact that I could use the maps programme offline and have used it all around the world to good effect. The first thing I found with my new lumia 800 was that I could not transfer my contacts between phones and received no help from nokia. This has now been solved by the use of skydrive but not in a controllable manner. I expected to be able to use my nokia maps offline as overseas data charges are sky high. I was thoroughly disappointed so just reverted to using my old N95 and telling everyone I knew that Nokia had cheated and misled me. I read here that you can use nokia drive as a substitute but that is incorrect. Yes it does use pre downloaded maps but if you start the programme it states that it will not work without an internet connection, due I believe in it's requirement to work out the route. The fact that nokia has now released new models that allow offline access but say they cannot do this for the 800 version makes me even angrier as it shows contempt for it's previous loyal customers. Unless they change this decision, I for one, my company personnel and everyone I can tell, will never buy a nokia phone again. Wake up nokia or you will be out of business like you deserve to be.
Please use plain text.