Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia Suite with Nokia Lumia

Advisor
PaulPS

Nokia Suite with Nokia Lumia

I am currently using a Nokia N95 8GB phone and i really like using the Nokia Suite on my phone connected to my Windows 7 PC. I wish to upgrade my phone to Lumia and i would like to know if i will still be able to use the Lumia 900 phone with Nokia Suite. Please advise.

Thanks

Paul

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Re: Nokia Suite with Nokia Lumia

[ Edited ]

@PaulPS

No you can't use Lumia device with Nokia Suite.

At most you can use version of Nokia Suite from Nokia Beta Labs to sync. content of your N95 8GB to SkyDrive as here:http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-Lumia/New-function-in-Nokia-Suite-beta-to-transfer-contacts-to...

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Advisor
PaulPS

Thanks, so does this mean i lose all my Nokia N95 8GB messages after i upgrade to Lumia?
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

[ Edited ]

Hi PaulPS,

Thanks for your post and welcome!

The current version of Nokia Suite available for download here will allow you to sync contacts, calendar and images to the SkyDrive which is associated with the Microsoft account you will use to register your Lumia. You can you a hotmail or outlook.com account for this if you have one as each will have a SkyDrive attached to it or go to http://outlook.com and create a new Microsoft account.

Information on how to copy the data to SkyDrive and subsequently to your (new) Nokia Lumia phone can be found here.

Unfortunately it is not possible to transfer SMS messages to a Windows Phone although it would be possible to create a folder on your SkyDrive (like OldSMS) and add all the SMS messages there as one big file or as separate files. You will then be able to open these files from the Office app on your Lumia Windows Phone.

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@PaulPS

Have not personally tried this convoluted workaround:http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-Lumia/Transfer-SMS-from-old-Symbian-to-WP7-A-Workaround/m-p/12...

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Advisor
PaulPS

Thanks for this briliant post..
Please use plain text.
Contributor
michael2310

Now that the new Lumias have arrived, could Nokia confirm the following:

1. It is not possible to sync contacts and calendar between MS Outlook and a Lumia 820 or 920 directly via Nokia Suite and USB cable.

2. Nokia suite can be used to copy contacts and calendar from older Nokia phones to a Lumia 820 or 920, but only by using Skydrive.  And when using this method, not all contact fields will be copied, e.g. contact notes and repeating calendar items will not be copied, and the contacts interface in Windows Live is infuriating.

3. The ease and accuracy of synchronisation of contacts using the "Outlook Connector" add-on is even worse.

4. It seems the mysterious "Windows Companion" or "Windows Phone" app, which supposedly allows direct local synchronisation of MS Outlook contact and calendar entries between a PC and a Lumia phone via USB cable, is only compatible with PC's running the Windows 8 OS.  Anyone running earlier versions of Windows on their PC's will have to upgrade.

5. It seems impossible to obtain specifications as to precisely what the "Windows Companion" or "Windows Phone" app will do and how it will do it.

It is quite incredible that Nokia has allowed the above issues to remain unresolved since the release of the first Lumia phones, especially given the demise of its Symbian OS, which allowed effortless and ACCURATE local synchronisation between phone and MS Outlook via Nokia Suite.  Given the amount of forum posts relating to these issues, one has to assume that MS is deliberately using them to force consumers to use its unsatisfactory cloud services and upgrade their PC OS to Windows 8 - all to achieve very poorly a synchronisation function that Nokia had provided perfectly well for years.

Michael

Please use plain text.
Advisor
PaulPS

This is a brilliant post from Michael and, for this reason, i am so relunctant to upgrade to Lumia

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

michael2310 wrote:

Now that the new Lumias have arrived, could Nokia confirm the following:

1. It is not possible to sync contacts and calendar between MS Outlook and a Lumia 820 or 920 directly via Nokia Suite and USB cable.

2. Nokia suite can be used to copy contacts and calendar from older Nokia phones to a Lumia 820 or 920, but only by using Skydrive.  And when using this method, not all contact fields will be copied, e.g. contact notes and repeating calendar items will not be copied, and the contacts interface in Windows Live is infuriating.

3. The ease and accuracy of synchronisation of contacts using the "Outlook Connector" add-on is even worse.

4. It seems the mysterious "Windows Companion" or "Windows Phone" app, which supposedly allows direct local synchronisation of MS Outlook contact and calendar entries between a PC and a Lumia phone via USB cable, is only compatible with PC's running the Windows 8 OS.  Anyone running earlier versions of Windows on their PC's will have to upgrade.

5. It seems impossible to obtain specifications as to precisely what the "Windows Companion" or "Windows Phone" app will do and how it will do it.

1. Correct. It can be done much easier when you have the respective account set up on the phone as a MfE account.

2. Correct, although I personally have no issues with contacts interface in Windows Live

3. Opinion stated, nothing to confirm or not.

4. The Windows phone app does not offer any sync option with MS Outlook data whatsoever. Only media files. It is also available for Windows 7, not only Windows 8. I have managed to drag and drop files even on a XP machine without the companion app installed.

5. As said above, you can sync media files, either manually or automatically or a mixture of both.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
PaulPS

Could someone please recommend a suitable phone model upgrade to my Nokia N95-8GB. I want a latest phone that is fully compatible with Nokia Suite to enable me continue to use all content synch and text messaging features with my Windows 8 Laptop.

Thanks in advance for advice.

Paul

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

Nokia Suite supports S30, S40 and symbian phones. As such and assuming you would want to trae up from the N95 the last Symbian phone to be supported by Nokia Suite would be the Nokia 808PV.

In the current line up Asha models as well as the coming Nokia 301 will be able to use Nokia Suite

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
RaySmith

Update to info on this thread: Have just transferred Nokia N95 8GB to a Lumia 820. The current "transfer my data" moved all contacts, SMS and image content perfectly. The missing parts for me were notes and calendar. In Notes, I selected "All" and then "send by bluetooth" and they all appeared as documents in office. That folder can be pinned to the start screen. Not perfect, but pretty good. Just trying to work out the best route for the calendar right now
Please use plain text.