Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Notification light on Lumia 800 missing?

Professor

[ Edited ]

Occams_Cat wrote:
Shame there's no 'vote down' button for that comment.

This is a bit like buying a car and then asking why the interior light is missing - and the arrogant dealer replying - 'How can it be missing? it was never meant to be there in the first place...'

The N8 has a fantastic notification system which I sorely missed moving over to the SGS2 (NoLED app helps - but clashed with several other apps, so can't be run). Now i've impulsively bought a Lumia 800 and I was annoyed to see that there's no notification system at all.

Even just a flashing windows capacitive key light would suffice. Come on Nokia - please try and raise the game a little, this isn't even innovating. It's just plain common sense. And if you want to blame MS, then fine - but YOU demand they add it or get permission from them to add it before release.

Stop making customers jump through unnecessary hoops for basic features. There's already enough wrong with the Lumia 800, without adding needless annoyances like this.

and breath...

Why is it "plain common sense" for a notification light? What is everyone's obsession with notification systems?

It IS nothing like buying a car and asking why the interior light is missing? You WOULDN'T buy the car in the first place.  If you people had bothered to do research on the phone, as you should do if you're going to spend hundreds of £'s or €'s or $'s on, you would have realised it didn't have one.  Your impulsive buy of the 800 and subsequent noticing of this (supposedly) non existent notification system if no one's fault but your own. Don't expect sympathy from people because you didn't bother checking out what you were buying

Do. Your. Research.

I will explain to you though what missing means

• (of a thing) Not able to be found because it is not in its expected place
  • Not present or included when expected or supposed to be

If it was never meant to be there in the first place, it cannot be missing. 

Don't compare a notifcation light which not every phone has, to something every car has.

English/basic common sense lesson over.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Occams_Cat

"Why is it "plain common sense" for a notification light?"

I don't wish to be rude, but If you can't answer that one on your own, then I can't be bothered to read the rest of your response. Stop arguing the semantics of the topic title and just think about it. *rolls eyes*
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

If the iPhone can manage all these years without one then I guess they still aren't considered an industry standard essential?

I missed not having a light at first, now it doesn't bother me. Love the design enough not to get hung up about this. I do believe that nokia/Microsoft may be considering a standard visual notification system for future models/software after a chat I had with some employees recently.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Occams_Cat

With respect - the iPhone has 'managed' to go without *many* industry standards for years and years, only to eventually plonk them on their products and proclaim to have re-invented the wheel! :smileywink:

In Apple's defence, they most often do a better job than past interpretations of a feature.

I love the design of the 800 too. It would be nice to get these features off the bat for once without having to ask...especially since most people who have had light notifications have appreciated them and missed them when they've gone.

Good to hear that Nokia may be considering (any more vague?!) future implementation. Maybe the rush to market is the reason why this phone is turning out to be a bit of a lemon for many old school Nokia fans?
Please use plain text.
Professor

[ Edited ]

Occams_Cat wrote:
"Why is it "plain common sense" for a notification light?"

The reason you claim not to bother reading the rest of my response because you know I'm right. If you want to see notifications, press the unlock button, glance at the screen then lock it again. But, like I said, you should have researched what you were buying then you wouldn't be so disappointed.

MODERATORS NOTE:  The profanities have been removed. Offensive language is not allowed on the forums. Please do not use offensive language on the forums

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Occams_Cat

Obviously, your not capable of understanding the point of this thread? Never mind, here's a biscuit. Now go sit back down.
Please use plain text.
Professor

Ahahahahaha....no.

The point if this thread is that you are a fool who made a bad decision. Are you expecting this thread to bring Nokia to your shack and fit an LED for you. You probably need it because you spent all your money on a new phone and you can't afford electricity now......diddums
Please use plain text.
KieranM

As a prospective Lumia owner, I would say that the lack of a notification LED is a disappointment. I currently own a Blackberry Bold 9700, and you can download an 'app' to make full use of the multi-coloured LED on the phone. This app, which shall remain nameless, allows you to assign different colours and/or flashing sequences, and durations, to different contacts, and also assign the same to different types of messages (ie emails, SMS, IM, Twitter, Facebook). I find this capability to be extremely useful, particularly when driving or in silent mode. For example, I have assigned a particular colour to phone calls or text messages from the schools my children attend, so I know that, when driving, I need to pull over and take the call.

I too find it astonishing that this feature, or similar, is not implemented more widely. Or is it a case of "hey, Apple are putting a notifcation LED on the iPhone X, so we'd better do the same".  So, come on Microsoft, add it to the hardware specification, and open up the API's so that developers can make use of it.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Vortx

mkr10001 wrote:
Ahahahahaha....no.

The point if this thread is that you are a fool who made a bad decision. Are you expecting this thread to bring Nokia to your shack and fit an LED for you. You probably need it because you spent all your money on a new phone and you can't afford electricity now......diddums

What can't you understand? It;s simple. People don't want to press a button to see what time is it or to see if someone called or texted. That should be an option from the very beginning, with possibility to turn it off, cause apparently there are people who like to press that freakin' button to see what's up.

I paid for my phone and I expect to have that feature. I actually demand it :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
GeoffN

I don't think it's fair to blame the manufacturer for not providing a facility that wasn't included in the specification. If the lack of such a warning light is so important to you, perhaps you should have read the specs more closely before buying the device.

Please use plain text.
Sage
newneotoo

@Kieran

This available on HTC's WP7 phones so not a MS issue.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Vortx

[ Edited ]

GeoffN wrote:

I don't think it's fair to blame the manufacturer for not providing a facility that wasn't included in the specification. If the lack of such a warning light is so important to you, perhaps you should have read the specs more closely before buying the device.

Haven't seen notification light mentioned on any specs in my life. For some it's such an obvious feature that I assumed, Lumia will have it. I was wrong.

You see I'm a person who'd rather focus on finding solution than who's to blame. I want this feature! :smileyhappy: If you or anyone does not, then kindly wonder off to read some other threads :smileyhappy:

Tom

P.S. Recently I rather praise Microsoft and cannot believe I do :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
GeoffN

I've never had such a warning light on any of the many phones, including iphone, that I've owned in the past 15 years. I agree, it's probably a useful facility; just never seen it.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Savo83

[ Edited ]

To be fair, it's not "missing" but it's something that should definitely be available should you wish to enable.

THAT'S what I find ridiculous about it.

The Windows key lights up, just enable it  to flash for any notifications we desire, or at least email/sms/missed calls. It's not difficult. I really miss it since I used it on my Blackberry. Sure we can just unlock the screen but why should I have to check every 15, 20 or 60 mins when a light can notify me? Please people, get some perspective here...

Please use plain text.
Sage
newneotoo

Savo83 wrote:

To be fair, it's not "missing" but it's something that should definitely be available should you wish to enable.

THAT'S what I find ridiculous about it.

The Windows key lights up, just enable it  to flash for any notifications we desire, or at least email/sms/missed calls. It's not difficult. I really miss it since I used it on my Blackberry. Sure we can just unlock the screen but why should I have to check every 15, 20 or 60 mins when a light can notify me? Please people, get some perspective here...

It doesn't bother me either about not having notification, I've never had it on any of my smartphones either BUT I can understand wny some would want it. My other half loves to have the notifier when the screen is dark. She had it on her Pre and now has it on Her Xpreia Ray.

Savo that is a great Idea, it would be that simple. Nokia have access to all the API's so it would be an easy fix.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

We can argue all day as to whether it's missing or not but the point is that it doesn't have it and it's obviously not considered an industry standard, as much as we'd all like it to be. Fact is that it was intentional for it not to be there, not forgotten, not overlooked. As much as we dislike that it's a fact and decision that was made.

We can rant, argue make cases for and against as much as we want but it's not going to change things. What we can do is deal with it one way or another, accept that it's not there, move on, not get hung up about it to the degree that it spoils your enjoyment or just move on to another phone that has a light.

Realistically nothing is going to change until either a new model is released that has a light (like certain HTC's) or an update is made that allows the button lights to flash. I'm sure both options are currently being considered internally along with possibilities like Nokia's sleeping screen or the N9's idle screen. I know the flashing windows logo is something that could be made standard across brands and is being discussed.

For now just stop arguing, lets wait and see what happens, it's all we can do. For those that really can't wait you have but one realistic choice: sell the phone, buy one with a notification light.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Savo83

[ Edited ]

Thanks for stating the obvious.

Is the lack of vibration strength also industry standard within windows phone? I don't think it is. The fact is that there's no LED notification (when it's something that's extremely simple to integrate) and the vibration is absolutely dismal.

Android and Apple only suffer from the LED issue, not the vibration so they have at least got something right.

Hopefully nokia will surprise us and patch this or maybe Microsoft will allow an application to address this in the Marketplace as at the moment, I don't see any notification and I can't even hear/feel the vibration when it's on my desk.

It's a major disappointment for me.  I still love the phone though! :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Feel free to start another thread about vibration strength, i'm sure they'll be differences of opinions about that too :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Savo83

There's already a thread going with the issue. It has the softest vibration I've ever witnessed on a handset, I can't see where there's any debate on it being too low? Can you feel it in your pocket? Can you hear it in the office? The majority say no. Also, the diagnostic application has it set to a much higher strength than the standard vibration for sms etc. I hope they patch it! :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Not seen that thread, not really thought about it. Not going to give my opinions on it here as it's not relevant to this thread. and don't want to send it off topic.
Please use plain text.