Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Outlook Sync

Registered Member
chitt

Hi, just received lumia 710 as a gift. However failed to syn to exhange mail. Hermm wondering if this is the right subject to ask to. I have no problem to connect to my office mail using Galaxy Tab and also HTC chacha using the same setting. But after changing to Windows phone quite frustrated when I cant connect to my office mail.  Error 800750D occurred when try to sync to my mail. Can anyone help me?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
dogfish54

I don't know why anyone would want to sync with outlook, except maybe for contacts. You can sync with exchange server, hotmail, gmail etc. It's not 2005 anymore people!

Please use plain text.
Sage
angler

dogfish54 wrote:

I don't know why anyone would want to sync with outlook, except maybe for contacts. You can sync with exchange server, hotmail, gmail etc. It's not 2005 anymore people!

Because not that everyone has exchange server account.  The Hotmail Connector does not sync any Outlook task with the Live account.  Fortunately gSyncit can sync all the Outlook content to the Google Calender, and the "Windows Phone" can be sync with the "Gamil" account.  Microsoft has the product Outlook and Windows Phone, but they are not communicated effectively and efficiently even with the installation of Hotmail Connector.  Microsoft spent years of developing Windows Phone from Windows Mobile, but with such product does not stay local simple synchronization for their own software.  It even far beyond what Google offerring to Android and Windows Phone user to wirelessly sync with their Gmail account.  Don't comment this as people not utilizing modern technology but the poor compatability of Microsoft product.  The sync compatability of Windows Phone is far beyond what Google and Apple offered to Android and iPhone.

angler
Please use plain text.
Contributor
mjmonks

I too thought my new Lumia 710 would sync with Outlook. My old N97 mini did. I don't want to have to connect to the internet when I want to update my calendar. I regularly go to rural Ireland where I have limited internet access but still want to update my entries. The only solution I can think of is to enter everything twice; once in Outlook and again on phone. They should have called an Internet phone not Windows phone as there seems to be very little you can do without been connected to the internet!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
aint2young

Now I have Android phone which is great, except for compatibility with MS Outlook. Still happily tied to Windows desktop software and want phone that meshes well with it.  So am hoping Windows Phone 8 does this.  From this discussion it seems MS is not there yet.  Hopefully they will pull it together by October 2012.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Houchy

[ Edited ]

I had been using Nokia PC Suite to synchronize my Nokia phone over bluetooth and it was amazing. I would sync 2-ways my calendar, contacts, notes, and tasks so easily. My old Nokia phone is now dead, and bought 2 days ago a Lumia to replace it. But now I'm thinking of selling it cause I need this full Outlook sync. This is so basic I don't understand why it's not working!

Actually, I think it is not random, all Google and Windows phone now push everybody to sync with a cloud. I guess getting access to everybody's calendar etc. is worth a lot to them.

Does anybody know a good phone to do a full local Outlook sync?

Please use plain text.
Sage
Shoey5

Houchy wrote:

I guess getting access to everybody's calendar etc. is worth a lot to them.

Does anybody know a good phone to do a full local Outlook sync?

There are millions if not billions of cloud accounts, what makes you're account or mine for that matter so special that they would want to view someones calander :smileyhappy: They don't sit there looking at peoples accounts. Unfortunately it's the way of the future. Outlook itself is just an Exchange client intended to connect to an Exchange server which in some ways could be called a Cloud way before it's time.

Honestly, why not just install the Outlook Connector for Hotmail. Then when you can sync both your computer and phone to Hotmail. There are advantages to doing this, if your computer dies, you still have all your contacts/calanders etc. If you switch to a new computer or phone, you can access everything as easy as just syncing your account.

If you don't like hotmail, go with an Exchange Account solution.

Please use plain text.
Mike_P_B

It could have been handled much better, like an install when you plug the phone in to the and it detects Outlook the first time. Would be useful for it to install the connector automatically. It wasn't obvious how to do it without reading the manual.

That said, when I followed the instructions, installed the outlook connector add-on then the sync was pretty easy.

Actually, updating the address book is easier from outlook (Send/receive all) than having to plug in a cable or open another program. Also, sending a private mail is easy as you write it in outlook and just select which account you want to use without having to open another program.

I don't pay for MS Live ID, I think it is free. The concept works, software is easy, sync is two clicks then it updates over the air direct to the phone.

After using it for 5 minutes I like the way it sync's, I prefer it to using a plug in cable and a PC suite.  Its just different at first.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi Mike_P_B,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum!

In Outlook 2010 when you enter your LiveID as new account it will in fact prompt you to install the Outlook Hotmail Connector and it will be setup automatically. It is only in older Outlook versions where you have to first manually install the connector and then setup the account from the connector.

Alternatively and for those who do not own/use Outlook there is Windows Live Mail which is a perfect and free mailclient to use with your Lumia family Windows Phone. You simply log in with your LiveID and from there on out your contacts and calendars are in sync all the time.

Windows Live Mail is part of the Windows Live Essentials.

Hope this helps,

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Mike_P_B

Terve Kosh,

Unfortunately the company is on Outlook 2007 and I got my hotmail ID way back in 1999 so there was no prompt (or if there was I missed it). As it was MS meeting MS I expected it to be bundled in the phone but at the end of the day it took less than 10 minutes to search, install and implement the solution. I was thinking the old way where you plug a cable in to join the phone and PC and go from there.

The solution of using the connector and doing it online is a much better way to sync. After changing my mindset the solution made more sense.

Only had my Lumia two days but it is impressive. Everybody I know who has one or gets to play with one really likes it (including our IT support who see all types of phones).

The feel, the look, the speed, the quality and the software makes it a good phone but I do miss a front camera for skype, the 800 is as large as I want a phone to be so decided against the 900 which I know has one :-(.

But even without the front camera I prefer it to the (all the sheep have one) I-phone or the house brick galaxy.

I'd recommend it to anyone.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Ztuka

Houchy

Well, if you want to be able to sync Outlook fully, go for Nokia 701 Belle.
You can sync calender, contacts, to do, notes with Nokia Suite using bluetooth or by usb.
You also can sync over the air using 3G and by installing Funambol on your pc and on your phone. Using it myself zero cost..I have Nokia E7 regged on my funambol account for my Nokia 701 and Nokia E6.
I also have microsoft mobile office, including OneNote and syncing over the air with pc and phones.

The only good full option for windows phone is office 365, at least I think so compared to my options I have with Nokia 701 and Nokia E6 as ,I mentioned above.
Nokia 808 again (delight Belle), Nokia E7 and X7 ( again, all on Delight Belle...after some time on Nokia Lumia 925 (retired), 1020 (not that great)and Lumia 820 (Replaced my router at home, great for internet sharing).., N9 The best device ever (use it as much as Lumia 1020), Nokia 700 (Sport Phone/My Love :-) ) Nokia 701, Nokia E6 (Should have a follow-up from Nokia among with larger screen, NFC, Autofocus), Lumia 800 (Retired After 6 weeks), -Sports Tracker-Nokia Internet Radio-Handy Safe-Skype-Bambuser-Screenshot app pro-fMobi-ComingNext-Manual TaskSwitcher-jagiTimer-Easy StopWatch-Boldbeast-Equalizer-Financial Calculator-WiMP Music-YTasks-Davi-Thumbnail Folders-BizCalendar-Tiny7-Situations-nn reeder-Sport Timer-CameraLover-CameraPro-GrabRadio-LiveScore-Poddi-Gravity-SkyFilesPro
Please use plain text.
Sage
Shoey5

Mike_P_B: I had the same "enlightenment" in regards to changing my mindset to sync with Hotmail. One of the biggest things I like is when I purchased a Lumia 900 to replace my aging Samsung Focus, everything, contacts, calander events etc where on my phone new phone instantly. I've also started using OneNote to sync to SkyDrive and my phone. Totally awesome, I can enter notes on multiple devices and they just show up on my phone when I need them. Same for photo albums on my SkyDrive......

Please use plain text.
apprenticeguru

I agree with most of the posts here. The Nokia Microsoft interface should be much better than this.

Houchy also has a point that Shoey5 is naive to dismiss.  Information is valuable and you don't need a bunch of people sitting around trawling calendars. A targetted search of contacts could gather all sorts of information that for example a salesman might have recorded as notes attached to the contact.  I tried writing to Nokia's security team in Helsinki because I didn't want to synchronise with Nokia's cloud just with Outlook via a cable, but have never had even an acknowlegement - they just don't care or are seriously incompetent. 

The Data protection in the agreement says nothing about use of other people's information e.g. from contacts, it only says it will protect the personal information of the Nokia customer.  If you use a cloud solution for storing contact information about your friends you are compromising their privacy and if you use it for storing customer details you are almost certainly in brreach of the Data Protection Act and privacy laws in Europe.

We may sound like dinosaurs, but the law has yet to catch up with the cloud concept and I would like to retain a cable based solution - surely not beyong the capabilities of Microsoft programmers!!

Best regards

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

The whole discussion here is basically moot and pointless. First of all the Sync mechanism is not something Nokia has any say over or influence on. This is by design and at the core of Windows Phone. If this is something you do not want or can't accept then in all honesty you are using the wrong phone.

Secondly the question of security is IMO not relevant here. The security of your Microsoft account is one of the strongest and best you will find anywhere. You can rest assured that there is a lot of people trying to crack it every day if not 24/7. The mere fact that it has not happened by now should be a strong indication of how strong it is.

Anyone complaining should not use a credit card, not have any sort of loyalty card, stay indoors, not use a bank card or internet banking, and certainly not use a computer. Most of these would be more insecure than the Microsoft account. You certainly should be browsing websites or reading your mail.

Also anyone thinking MSFT has access to your data is seriously misinformed and should educate themselves in a big way.

I would be willing to state that in a few years nothing we use will be syncing through a cable and it will all be wireless.

This whole discussion is a good case of barking up the wrong tree, go talk to MSFT if you must but I very much doubt you will get anywhere. And rightly so.

The way sync works now is beautiful, it will allow you access to your information anywhere anytime without the need for any physical connection. In early days you HAD to be next to your PC or Laptop to sync and also could not use any other device to sync with.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
garym114

And you don't have to have an exchange account. You can sync a POP account from Outlook.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
marcberghmans99

Hello,

I just bought a lumia 800 as this is a windows phone to easy sync with my outlook as I did before. As this is apparantly not working this is a shame for both microsoft and nokia. As a user of nokia for many years (had already 3 communicators) I cannot understand why you need to put everything on the cloud.

I hope that Nokia solves the problem quickly,

Greets,

Marc

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Erika808

Please add your votes to the windows user voices if you want offline sync:

http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions/suggestions/1549639-sync-directl... Maybe if enough of us demand it they will realize that they're missing out on business without it. Personally I won't buy a windows phone until this is resolved.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

Like MSFT is going to hack their own software to appease a handful (relatively) of users stuck in the last decade.

There is no argument to be made against using your Microsoft account to sync your  personal data. It's safer and more versatile then being tied to a cable on a PC at home.

It's time to lay down your tinfoil hats people and come into the current day and age. Wireless ans cloud syncing are here and here to stay.

You all should also stop flying or using the internet all together by the way. You average Internet browser will pose a bigger risk to having personal information taken from you then using your MSFT account to sync your data. Oh and yes, the chance your house gets broken in to and your PC with your personal data on it getting stolen is more likely then your MSFT account being hacked. Provided you do take care you do not keep your log in details laying around in the open obviously..

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.