Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: POP Email on WP8 (Lumia 920) - Error Code 8000...

Counsellor
rick_faulkner

POP Email on WP8 (Lumia 920) - Error Code 80004005

Hello Astra 2025,

Sorry to contact you on a differnet issue.

I have had problems with my POP e-mail on my Lumia since i got it so cant receive my woork e-mails.

Can you please point me towards a discussion that references this or do you have some background knowledge as I have hit a dead end with Nokia....

please read the following thread:-

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp8-wpemail/pop-email-on-wp8-lumia-920-error-code-...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

Re: POP Email on WP8 (Lumia 920) - Error Code 80004005

I have no issues using POP whatsoever. It is more likely this is a setup issue or some sort of issue with the mailserver. How to setup mail and all required settings are explained here.

Are you sure your work mail is POP based and not Exchange? Do you have a system admin at work and if so have you talked to him/her?

---

Click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rick_faulkner

Thanks for your reply.

I been escallated by Nokia three times to the point where my ISP has created a specific e-mail address for Nokia to work with, so we have been through all the settings extensively and am getting to the end of my teather as i persuaded my boss to let me have the 920 whereas all other staff have the iphone 5 - so i am in trouble!

I am just wondering how else i can get assistance and or advice and so looked on this forum board.

Yes, its a POP and not exchange. just a bog-standard POP...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Malamute67

I had a similar problem with my Nokia 822.  Could not get my e-mail accounts set up using the 'Outlook' option in Add an account.  Went to my local Verizon store and the rep there set it up using the  'Other' option. Seems the 'Outlook' option is only for Exchange Servers - not generic POP accounts (such as mine with CenturyLink).  Everything works fine now and was able to link my "Live/Hotmail' account and my CenturyLink e-mail account.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rick_faulkner

Nokia took me through two ways of setting up an account:-

1) "Other account" then selecting POP

2)"Advanced setup" then selecting POP

both come back with the 80004005 error...

Nokia have gone quiet on me since i had my ISP create a specific e-mail address to play with. I have heard nothing from Microsoft.

I wish i could find realise a simple answer, but if Nokia have failed so far i doubt it, but if anyone can give any suggestions i would appreciate it!

Please use plain text.
Professor
KennyKB

It looks like a problem with WP8. As a workaround use GMail to retrieve your POP3 account. You can set GMail to use the same return address that the email was sent to.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rick_faulkner

Thanks KennyKB,

I was trying to avoid the work around hoping that Microsoft will sort the problem quickly. I read another workaround using hotmail, but i understand that the receiver of e-mails will have no idea who it came from - not good for work mails.

does this mean that the Gmail workaround is a better solution?

is there a thread ona forum that shows me how to set it up as you suggested?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Professor
KennyKB

[ Edited ]

If your main concern is the return address then Gmail is a better solution to fetching your pop mail as it allows you to set the return address. More info here: http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=21289&from=21288&rd=1

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rick_faulkner

I had Nokia call me back yesterday.

They have officially flagged that they understand my problem and that they are working on it. They said that they will release a major software update which will fix the problem, but that it will not be available until February or March. I accepted this on the phone...

lets wait and see...

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Many thanks for following up so diligently, I am having the same problem with my pop3 work account, so good to know it is not something I'm doing wrong.

Still, one would have thought Microsoft would have picked this up before rolling out WP8!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rick_faulkner

True...

its caused me some embarrasment as all my other collueages are with the iphone and i stuck my neck out to get the 920 and my boss is less than pleased with me!

all well and good that non work e-mails like microsoft and gmail work, but business uses POP3 so its more important!

I just want it resolved... :-) fingers crossed... downlading via gmail for the moment... :-(

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
JLA442

I have the issue with not being able to send anything on that pop3 account on my Nokia920...I have an account that I check pop3 through a work server and receive and send works great.  I have another account that I check that is from my ISP (Suddenlink)  that I have configured using their incoming and outgoing servers.  This has been working well since the end of November and today that pop3 account that I check email on the suddenlink.net account stopped allowing me to send and gives me a 80048802 error.  

I have spoken at great length to ATT who spoke to Suddenlink and Nokia even patching me through to Nokia for an hour and still no solution.  Nokia finally said it has to be ATT because  it sends fine when on a wifi connection but not using their dataconnection.  ATT then has followed up and said that they don't want to point fingers but it's probably not them and to use a specific att outgoing server to send and hopefully it will get fixed soon wherever the problem may be with isp, att, nokia or maybe even Microsoft.  It sure is strange it has worked flawlessly for 3 months and wham it stops and everyone is confused and clueless...I sure hope this gets fixed and soon!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Figgro

Its such a surprise that Nokia reverted back. I am stuck with Lumia 920. Bought it yesterday and realised I cant use it for work email. Why cant they do it right the first time. I m feeling bad I gave off the iphone 5 for Lumia 920. :smileysad:

Thanks Rick for following up on this. Atleast some relief. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
sarahla

I have a Nokia Lumia 810 (T-Mobile), which I got about last November.

Email worked fine until a couple of weeks later.  Since then, I have been to T-Mobile's store, a Microsoft store, Microsoft's community forum, Microsoft's Partner Support forum, various other avenues, and now here all in the name of solving this bug.

So far, nada.

I heard about "February or March", but now that we are in May, I can say that there is still no fix.  One of the main reasons that I personally purchased a smartphone was so that I have email access.  That was my main driving reason behind the major purchase.  I have a phone, which has other features, but the primary purchase for the phone, and advertised feature, does not work and nobody at Nokia, Microsoft, or T-Mobile wants to do anything about the problem.

I am contemplating returning the phone and getting an Android, but I dislike Linux and happen to like the Windows environment, but how long should I be patient?  Heck, T-Mobile no longer sells ANY Windows phone on their website, just a refurbished 810 phone.  There is talk of selling Catwalk (Nokia 920 series), but still where other vendors sell several phones, T-Mobile sells one.  Anyways, I have the Nokia Lumia 810, which is fine by me, if it works.  Microsoft seems to not care, as does Nokia and T-Mobile.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rick_faulkner

Yes,

I had also been told Feb or March by Nokia; i think it was tied in with the Portino update (or whatever they called it), but it did not fix the problem.

Another few people have told me that setting up an an IMAP account works for them (but not for me) might be worth a try for you?

I think its just that they are all closing ranks on the issue as they know there is no solution. just like attaching PDF's to an e-mail; my other issue! :-)

really upset - stuck in a contract for 2 years, but you right - what next if not Nokia. Samsung seem to be taking over... perhaps thats the way.

COME ON NOKIA AND WINDOWS - PLEASE SOME ADVICE OR COME CLEAN SO WE AT LEAST KNOW THERE IS NO HOPE TO RESOLVE, SO CAN LEARN TO LIVE WITH IT.

Please use plain text.
sarahla

I do not know how to set up an IMAP account in my shared hosting account with Plesk, which provides POP3/SMTP access to emails.

I am a Microsoft Partner, develop Microsoft based solutions, and genuinely like the Microosft platform.  Still, after about 6 months and many hundreds of dollars later, I find myself running out of patience.  How long should I be patient for a solution, when Nokia/Microsoft/T-Mobile will not give me a solution or be part of the process.

Microsoft Partner Support, as mentioned, told me this morning in response to a follow-up from yesterday that there is nothing else that they can do and that the situation is out of their hands.  If it is out of their hands and they do not want to do anything about it, then what about me?

Should I bite the bullet, return the phone, and sadly jump onto the Samsung Galaxy S4 Android bandwagon?  If I do that, I will feel cheated, as I really would like to use Windows.  I kind of like the Windows Phone 8 interface.  How long should I be patient?

Email is a big issue.  I am sure that there are other issues too, just I am not aware of it left.

By the way, I never received an Portino update.  The last update was the one that Microsoft gave back in November, which caused the problem in the first place.

Thanks for your comment.  :-) It is nice to know that I am not alone I am not alone in suffering with this problem.

I really am thinking that this 80004005 error is a deal breaker, which is so sad.

By the way, Nokia cannot do anything.  Microsoft owns the OS and it is up to the carrier, T-Mobile USA in my case, to do something about the problem.  Microsoft posts major updates, which causes breaks and annoyances. T-Mobile is resonsible for minor updates and fixes.  T-Mobile, as you can tell by visiting t-mobile.com (as of 5/2/2013) is no longer interested in the Windows platform (okay Catwalk announced, but that has the same problem.  Catwalk is a Lumia 922 or so, as I understand things).  T-Mobile will not post an update.  They never have, so why start now?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rick_faulkner

Dear Paulheu,

Any progress on this issue from your point of view?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rick_faulkner

I just contacted my ISP providor asking for an update and received:-

There are some strange problems with Nokia phones. They don't seem to do POP very well. In some instances our customers have moved over to our IMAP service which works fine.

The last time I looked at this fault on a Nokia phone, we noticed the phone was not issuing the correct POP commands to retrieve the emails. It could send fine but it could not receive emails. We do not see this problem on Iphones or blackberry's, but Nokia's seem to have a problem with POP.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
pastfinder

Apparently Windows 8 does not do POP3, so I assume that Microsoft have done the same on WP8.

I have never been able to get POP3 on my Lumia820 from my ISP despite spending over an hour talking to Nokia support.

I have found a work around using an outlook.com account - search online for the how to.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
pastfinder

From Microsoft Community -- POP Email on WP8 (Lumia 920) - Error Code 80004005

Work around:  setup your Microsoft account to begin aggregating POP3 mail. This way you won’t need to add your POP3 account separately to the phone – you would only need to set your primary Microsoft account to sync mail. Plus you get the added benefit of using Microsoft’s new consumer mail interface with Outlook.com. To do this:

1. Log in to Outlook.com and sign in with yourMicrosoft account (formerly known as a Windows Live ID). This is the same LiveID you are using on Windows Phone. 
  2. Click settings (looks like a little gear icon), and then more mail settings.
  3. Click sending/receiving email from other accounts.
  4. Click add an email account and follow the steps to input your POP3 and SMTP server info.

Note: for additional details, see this article: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/hotmail/other-accounts-mail-ui?woldogcb=0.

1. Once that is successfully setup – that is, Outlook.com is now syncing your POP3 mail to your Microsoft account – you can enable “mail” for this Microsoft account on Windows Phone. To do this: 
    1. On Windows Phone, go to Settings > Email+Accounts, tap Microsoft account and tap “email” under content to sync. 
    2. There will now be an Outlook icon on your start screen that represents the inbox at Outlook.com. If you get mail in this way, then you should remove the broken POP3 mail account from his phone. 
Please use plain text.