Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Please Add Bing Maps Back Into Menus on 820/92...

Advisor
TheAndyMac

Please Add Bing Maps Back Into Menus on 820/920 - customers want to be able to choose or even to use both!

Considering upgrade from Windows 7.5 device (not Nokia) and looking at 820 or 920, but really like speed, integration and features of Bing Maps - looking at reviews/comments, removing the menu item for Bing Maps is putting me off the Nokia and pushing me towards the HTC!

Why not have both available on the phone? You have the codee there so it does not affect the underlying platform. User choice is and should be king on these devices, so why remove the Bing Maps option? This must be a simple fix for you to do.... so make yourself another customer, and a load of people out there happier by adding the menu item back in ---- you don't have to have it pinned to the start menu by default, just available for those of us who want to use it instead of -- or as well as -- Nokia Maps.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ncharlt

Re: Please Add Bing Maps Back Into Menus on 820/920 - customers want to be able to choose or even to use both!

I recently had to switch to an HTC 8x due to this problem (once I'm happy it's OK the 920 can go on ebay).

I find Nokia Maps horrible, poorly integrated, with poor search results, hopeless traffic info and no voice search. Utter rubbish where I live (you may have more luck). The real point is that whilst I can uninstall this, it doesn't return the proper Windows Phone 8 map application. I feel so strongly, I contacted Nokia direct. The response I received amounted to 'tough sh*t, you can't have Bing maps back, try downloading a google maps app or use a browser'. That about did it for me. Nokia first 'does an Apple' and ruins my maps experience from WP7 and it does this by removing operating system functionality which I though MS assured would not be the case (consistent OS experience across all devices).

If that's the way Nokia are going I do not want to share in their fragmentation. By all means offer your map product as a bonus but do not remove standard Windows Phone functionality. There will be many who offer useless comments like "Nokia Maps works great for me". To them I would say I'm happy you have the option to use Nokia Maps. Shame I don't have the option to use the standard operating system maps.

My short answer to your question is: unless you are certain that Nokia Maps gives you the functionality you need in your area, do not purchase a Lumia.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

Re: Please Add Bing Maps Back Into Menus on 820/920 - customers want to be able to choose or even to use both!

Considering Bing maps is powered by Nokia maps there can be very little difference, and I am in luck as search and maps are excellent in the UK (and many areas throughout the world) however it is a free world and people can use whatever product they wish. I do though, somehow fail to see the relevance of this thread to the forum ? It is neither posing a question or helping anyone ?

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

do a search in the store for bing maps.

there are many options there.

if you install "maps" after you search for bing maps, that will get you the to launch the standard maps....really quick!

its a blue icon, and it is free.

hope that helps.
Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Advisor
ecosky

The "Maps" app by Mohammed Adenwala useful for people who want Bing Maps by iteself, but what I really want back is the standard Bing turn by turn navigation. I don't believe any of the apps in the store are able to provide that functionality. I find the Nokia Drive+ BETA to be inferior for many reasons to the Bing map turn by turn navigation and I am extremely disappointed I am being forced to use this and that I am prevented from using Bing.

Over the past couple years I have come to rely on the navigation features of Bing in WP. The current state of Drive+ quite simply does not provide the feature set and navigation accuracy of the old WP7 navigation app. It is a huge step backward and being prevented from choosing which navigation app I want to use is tremendously annoying. 

I have 4 days left before I can no longer return the 920. If I don't hear something about plans for making it possible to use Bing maps for navigation if that is my preference then I may very well wind up doing that. Eliminating user choice on this was a very, very bad decision. Easily corrected though, so I will be hoping to hear about improvements here.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
donkervoet

I wrote a free app that just opens Bing Maps. You can find it in the store under the name FastMaps or you can go to the site http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/fastmaps/910fc757-bd0b-41af-b389-7bcddd54194e

It was just published to the store today but I already submitted a bug fix; there was a problem with the location detection. It still opens Bing Maps but the option to open to your current location is broken without the update, which should go through quickly.

It's basically the same as "Maps" by Mohammed Adenwala and I probably wouldn't have bothered writing my app if his were available at the time. He beat me by a couple days. They both open Bing Maps immediately but mine gives you the option of either opening centered on a fixed location (e.g. your home address) or your current location using the GPS.

Thanks and enjoy!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

Hi Donkervoet,

Thanks for letting us know! Still gives the user more options, so it's all good on that front :smileyhappy:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
buddler

[ Edited ]

I wrote a oost concerning this topic here: http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Maps-Navigation-and-GPS/Nokia-maps-on-Windows-phone-8-detail-and-res...

There is a HARSH difference between bing and nokia maps, on the web and on the phone, although bing maps should be based on nokia material.

The mentioned app from Mohammed A. simply causes a slightly different menu, but delivers the same bad map material. In my region, I had high definition and up to date satellite images (from may this year) on bing maps, but all is lost on nokia maps or here.com. Only pixel mud due to low res landsat material.

Please use plain text.
Tomaras

YES. Please allow me to chose which maps I want to use. The Nokia maps for Seattle are outdated. The satellite views are very old. I just upgraded from an HTC Trophy on Verizon to a Lumia 822 and I'm completely surprised and disappointed that BING maps are not available. Could be a deal breaker that makes me return the phone. I bought the phone for the hardware, not for a bunch of non-standard Nokia apps. I appreciate the effort to differentiate but I want the CHOICE. I've never rooted a phone before but I'm gonna start looking for a way to convert my phone into a standard Windows Phone.
Please use plain text.
Tomaras

Same exact map experience in Seattle. OLD OUT OF DATE MAPS
Please use plain text.
Tomaras

Sorry but your app does not take me to BING maps. I search for my neighborhood and it's the same old aerial view from many years ago, not the current sat view I was seeing on my HTC Trophy Windows Phone. I've still got it operating side by side with the 822 and it's an old map....definitely NOT the images BING is currently providing.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

[ Edited ]

ANyone ever tried a look in the store? Guess not then eh..

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/maps/9e8f8fc5-da17-4b7f-80f3-2dc334de8dac

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.