Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Possible explanation for L920 issues

Counsellor
Flexi_BTS

Possible explanation for L920 issues

Hello,

I will be sending an official Email to Nokia about my experience with the L920 and my observation but would like to share with you what my device is struggling with. I will have to confirm that my device, including the battery is fault free.

** GPS

Somtimes the GPS will not lock. It will work for minutes, hours but out of the blue just refuses to respond anymore. 

I can confirm this issue after several tests. It's obviously software related.

Tried it with many GPS softwares; sometimes GPSinfo can't use the GPS, instead it displays using A-GPS ( Assisted GPS ) from GSM data. Accuracy is somehow 100-200 meters that's why you will see your position jumping all around the map.

The only solution is to reset the device. Once done, if you open GPSinfo for example, it will connect to the sattelite and lock in seconds. If you retry after half an hour, it still locks. If you use the device for hours moderately and try again, it fails. Hence I have to reboot it.

If it's a hardware issue, GPS will lock sporadically regardless of reboots which is not the case.

** Speakers

Another thing I noticed... When you play a notification, if you put your ears next to the speakers in the button when it's over, there will be a light buzzing sound barely noticeable ( if you are in a quiet room ) for 2-3 seconds and then will go away. It basically means that the speakers were on and went into standby. Another explanation to why sometimes when I get a notification I hear a crackling distored sound then it continues normally. Should be because the audio device is waking up.

I have repeated the scenario for 15 minutes playing notifications on and off and stimulating the speakers; I observed a fast battery drain along with overheat ( Battery Sense displayed -41% / hour with brightness medium ) and my battery went from 72% to 58% which is odd. I've always had mediocre battery performance with moderate usage and excellent standby time so my battery is not defective nor my device is.

Also if you play an MP3 whatsoever and you keep pressing Vol Up or Vol Down, the sound will distort until you stop pressing.

It could be a reason why sometimes battery drains way faster than it should as I sometimes receive 90-100 notifications per hour ( Mail exchange + whatsapp + facebook chat etc.. )

**Brightness

You don't want to count on your AutoBrightness settings in WP8 do you ? Usually in a sunny day, if you go outside, your phone should increase the brightness and reduce it back when you go indoor.

With WP8 it's not the case. It's only working one way. When you are already indoor and go out while using your phone, it will indeed increase the brightness. However, If you are in using your phone with full brightness and move to a dark place, it will not reduce the brightness unless you lock the screen and unlock it.

Now what happens here is a disaster to the battery in my opinion. If you are moving around at night and your proximity sensor gets exposed directly to a light from a random source ( lamp above you whatsoever ) it will increase the brightness while you're using your phone but wont decrease it back once you move.

You will probably not notice that the screen brightness has increased if the background is black but it will drain your battery much faster.

Remember, although it might look like Autobrightness is ON but in reality the system will consider what has been set in the manual settings to adjust the brightness accordingly. That being said, those values probably will be the threshold. If set to medium, in a sunny day outside, WP8 will increase the brightness to medium as a maximum or so.

** Battery

Now this one is quite strange but it looks like WP8 battery meter isn't accurate at all. I did many recharging-discharing cycles from 2% to 100% leaving it for hours on power but it looks like WP8 doesn't give you accurate numbers. After unplugging the device from full charge, I left the screen on for 10 minutes to lock : the percentage remaining  was still at 100%.then started decreasing slowing to 96% after 30 minutes. I left my phone idle on standby for another 30 minutes and found the battery still at 95%. Played with the device for around 10 minutes and it dropped to 87% ( browsing app store no intensive tasks involved )

Now the suprising thing is that when I hit 17% after hours, I had to reboot the device to find that the battery remaining jumped back to 39%. This is quite odd.

One possible explanation in my opinion is that WP8 uses an algorithm to estimate the percentage of battery remaining based on your usage history ( could be last 30 minutes or hour ) and displays the remaining percentage which doesn't look accurate if anything. A potential reason to why some people excluding those with overheat issue, are reporting mixed battery life observation. One day the battery seem to drain faster than the other one.

Note that this is my own observation based on several experiments and tests of two Lumia 920 devices.

Specifications

Phone:           Nokia Lumia RM-821

OS Version:   8.0.9903.10

Firmware:      1232.2109.1242.1003

Radio:            1.0.202041.3

Background Apps:

Battery Sense

extra+info

Facebook

LinkedIn

Metrotube

Nokia Drive+ Beta ( Blocked)

Whatsapp

Battery Performance with Wifi and 3G enabled

Maximum standby time                               3 days 9 hours

Heavy Usage with high brightness              7 hours 18 minutes

Moderate usage with medium brightness   19 hours 14 minutes

Source : Battery sense.

I will keep playing with the device and update you with my findings. My aim is to bring myself and all Lumia x20 users the best experience out of an outstading piece of hardware.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Flexi_BTS

Re: Possible explanation for L920 issues

Hello,

Please also find below a summary of what the battery is going through.

http://i45.tinypic.com/rlkqv4.jpg

If you notice, I have started discharging at 11:06 AM, batter was still 100% after 1 hour although I was using the device during that time.

I went back home at 4PM with 63% battery remaining. Made a phone call and checked the battery, it jumped back to 72% ! I did not charge the phone, I used it.

This is quite unusual.

I've also read in many threads that Lumia 820 wont boot after replacing the battery if the old is drained completely. I haven't verified it but looks very logical if my assumption, that WP8 doesn't detect the level of battery remaining, it rather calculates it, is true.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

hi mate,

have you tried a soft reset (pressing the volume down and power buttons together until the phone vibrates)?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Bommi

Here's how this forum works:

1. Original poster reports a battery/stability/heating/GPS issue
  2. Someone suggests to do a soft reset
  3. Original poster reports having done that, it helped for a while, and now the issues are back
  4. Now someone suggests the OP to take backups of their data on the phone and do a hard reset.
  5. OP does this and spends a long time setting the phone back up to their liking only to find that the issues are still there
  6. OP is told to contact Nokia Care and hope for best

Has anyone had their issues permanently fixed by doing a soft or a hard reset? 

I'm doing a hard reset on my Lumia 920 as we speak so I can take it to Nokia Care and so far it has had the turning cogs going for 13 hours. I'm afraid of interrupting the process, but surely it's not supposed to take this long.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Bommi wrote:

Here's how this forum works:

Has anyone had their issues permanently fixed by doing a soft or a hard reset? 

I'm doing a hard reset on my Lumia 920 as we speak so I can take it to Nokia Care and so far it has had the turning cogs going for 13 hours. I'm afraid of interrupting the process, but surely it's not supposed to take this long.

Certainly something wrong .. It may go on till the Battery goes flat, I think..Once it shuts OFF..connect the charger and after quite a few minutes, the phone should switch ON.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

perhaps the Bommi has the charger plugged in all this while, hence the spinning cogs lasting 13 hours, it certainly shouldn't last that long, didn't with me....battery went out after about two to three hours. Would just let the battery go flat without it being plugged into charge, and see if it turns on, or if any of the soft / hard resets by button combinations work.

Failing that, unfortunately, the phone does need to be taken back to the point of purchase, or if they are being less than helpful, to the local Nokia for inspection: http://nokia.com/support
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Faragondk

RE: Has anyone had their issues permanently fixed by doing a soft or a hard reset? 

I have use soft reset a few times, I don't expect a permanent solution if there is a bug in the OS until it is fixed. Windows Phone 8 OS is not bug free. When things start acting weird I have used soft resets with success and have no big issues with my Lumia 920.

About your current issue try reading this thread:

Hard reset error

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

adrianhughes wrote:
perhaps the Bommi has the charger plugged in all this while, hence the spinning cogs lasting 13 hours, it certainly shouldn't last that long, 

True..thought so that the charger is connected all the time ..

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Bommi

Yes the phone was connected to a charger, of course. I don't want my phone shutting down in the middle of resetting or OS updating.

After the factory reset process had been going on for 16 hours I decided it had been going long enough. I tried the power button, it did nothing. So I pushed the volume-down and power (soft reset) and the phone booted. Now it only shows the Nokia logo on screen and has done so for the past 30 minutes. 

The phone now only responds to soft reset key combination, boots, and brings the Nokia logo back up again. 

Is the phone ... bricked? 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Bommi

Holding down the power and the volume down button the phone switches off briefly, and then keeping my finger on the volume down key only it displays the Nokia logo screen and then it goes black and continues to repeat this as long as I have my finger on the volume down key.

When I hold the volume up key instead while the screen goes black, I get the lightning bolt with gears icon.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Flexi_BTS

Hello Guys,

My device has been Hard reset 9-10 time since I got it and a couple of soft reset since I'm experimenting and testing different behavior. My other L920 ( I have 2 of them ) for daily use is behaving the same way.

I am starting to seriously believe that WP8 doesn't detect the battery level, it rather assumes how much juice is left based on your recent activity the reason why it holds 100% for 15 minutes or more once fully charged.

Some people may not notice it but it doesnt always happen and it's completely not related to a faulty batter ( mine was cycled fro 10-100% dozen of times )

ps: smartphone guru as part of my job.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Bommi

I've got a response to my issue from @NokiaHelps in Twitter:

"In that case, it would be best to bring the phone to the Nokia Care to have it checked. ^SL"

https://twitter.com/NokiaHelps/status/291171521165148160

Nokia Care it is then. They said it would take 1-2 weeks.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Have a look here

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Bommi

Thanks for the link farby.

I have removed the sim-card since I had to switch back to my old phone, but I cannot turn off the phone. As long as it is plugged to a charger it shows the Nokia logo. Pressing the power key alone does nothing. Pressing volume down and power makes to phone boot (or the screen go black at least) and then it's right back to Nokia logo.

Also after doing the vol down + power and then pressing volume up while the screen is black it goes to a screen with a lightning bolt and a cog. I have no idea what that's supposed to mean.

The phone seems to exhaust its battery very quickly if unplugged though, it takes less than an hour to shut down. It almost seems as the phone doesn't charge the battery in its current state.

Like I said, Nokia Care for me. Hopefully I can make it in time today before they close.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Sorry to know that Bommi . Yes, Nokia Care seems to be the solution..All the Best

Please use plain text.