Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Possible to copy music etc stuff to phone with...

JobuRaisk

Possible to copy music etc stuff to phone without useing Zune?

My mother bought Lumia and she is quite happy with it. Runs well and smoothly, battery kinda sucks but meh... And then she decided to copy some music to her new phone so she could listen music while going to work... ah... is there a way to copy music from windows to phone just like with memory stick?

I have been useing computer for 13 years and have used many professional 3D and other software that has given me a slight headache at first but still managed to use them later without any problems but now this Zune thingy is just stupid. I have over 30gb of music in my computer and when I tried to add music with this stupid software it took me over few hour to find every single music she wanted. **bleep**? why should you take something that is so simple and make it into so stupid and frustrating? And if this gives me headache then imagine what she must feel when useing it.. she doesn't even understand how to download a video from youtube when I give her a webpage she could use for downloading youtube videos. (copy address link.. paste address link)

I even tought about buying a Nokia myself but after this... no!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

Re: Possible to copy music etc stuff to phone without useing Zune?

[ Edited ]

Thanks for providing us with our daily 'I am just here to rant so son't bother'post.

All you are really saying I have no clue how to use a fairly straightforward and easy program but need to mask it with a lot of blahblah

How's this;

1. Open Zune and go to COLLECTION
  2. Find tracks you like and right click > Add to playlist
  3. For the first one you do click New Playlist and give it a name
  4. When done select PLAYLIST 
  5. rightclick playlist and 'Sync with your [phone name]'

See that was not so hard now was it?

Oh and by the way, something like this:

Hi, I am new to Windows phone and could use some help with this program Zune.. Any pointers to how to get music to the phone in an easy way?

Makes you sound so much more like a friendly guy people would want to help out instead of an insecure person who need to pretend to know what he is doing but really doesn't.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Professor
KennyKB

He's not the first to ask how to copy stuff to the phone and he won't be the last. Isn't it a reflection of WP that users have to ask how to do simple things like transferring files? The steps you described are not intuitive for a new user who has not read the manual.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
garym114

[ Edited ]

How you move items to and from the phone depends on the phone, 7 or 8, and the operating system of the PC

The page below helps to choose and has links to all the correct software. Make sure you read the footnotes. I have used all of the sync software except for the Win 8 version and I have been using the Zune software for years.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp8/start/move-music-photos-and-videos-between-my-computer-...

You don't have to use software to move music or pictures but it is much easier. With Zune software just put all the music or pictures you want on the phone or Zune in a folder of it's own and select that folder in settings, software, collection. Then go to settings, device, sync options and select 'All'. You don't have to drage each item to the device icon.

Did this help ??

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

[ Edited ]

KennyKB wrote:

The steps you described are not intuitive for a new user who has not read the manual.

How is right clicking an item to see the options for that item not intuitive for Windows? It has been a basic Windows feature forever.

Besides the option mentioned above also is available, simply add a folder of your choice to the sync list and anything you drag to that folder will sync automatically (or manually depending on the settings).

This is a simple case of not willing to use basic OS and application functionality. IMO Zune is way more intuitive then say iTunes in this.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
JobuRaisk

Why not give people option if they want to use Zune or they want to use their phone like a usb mass storage device.  Why "fix" something that is not broken. If I want to transfer music to my HTC I stick the USB cable to it, stick it to PC open the folder, copy my music from PC and paste it in that folder. All done. With this Zune you have to find the albums and stuff from 30gb of music from what 4gb is the one you listen. While you only could have copied that 4gb of music with one go.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
garym114

You do have that option.

Did you go to the link in my post above?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

JobuRaisk wrote:

Why not give people option if they want to use Zune or they want to use their phone like a usb mass storage device.  Why "fix" something that is not broken. 

1. Create a folder on your PC where you store all the music/video/picture files you want on the phone.

2. In Zune set this folder to sync automatically.

3. Everytime you connect the phone it will sync whatever is in this folder as long as it is a supported format.

How easy do you want it

---

Please use plain text.
Sage
SvenJ

You do have the option of USB in WP8, but you don't have the option of Zune.

You don't get the USB option in WP7, but do have to (get to) use Zune.

If you haven't done any reseaerch, having to use Zune for WP7 media transfer, is as intuitive as having to use iTunes for iOS. Seems natural for a lot of folks, strange to others. Especially those who may have an investment in Windows Media Player, and just bought a 'Windows' phone. Once you realize you need to use Zune, it can take a little effort to get it set up. You can point it at your current media storage location, assuming that is all in one place, and let it catalog and organize all your media in it's interface. Unfortunately playlists from Media Player don't transfer, so you may want to re-do some. That makes transfer to a Zune, or a WP7 much easier. As was said once all that is done, you just need to right click and select, or drag the track/playlist to the device displayed on the Zune interface. Using a playlist, changes are automatically sync'd to the phone, if the playlist changes. The transfer is pretty easy, but getting Zune set up, the first time, can take a bit of time, and can be a bit confusing.

The benefit of Zune, and it's progeny XBox Music, is the ability to listen to music you don't own along with those you do.  Once you have used Zune for your media experience on the desktop for a while, it becomes natural. It is interesting to note all the threads about making it the interface for WP8. People seem to like it. I do.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
tosha74

IV had Nokia 4 months and still ain't figured out how to save my music to it . What about the blue tooth option . It s time consuming and more complicated them it should be .
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
tosha74

Oh and not every one has access to a pc . I can download music my phone but I have to put it in my favourite folder and I get a link . How do I get it to a playlist ?
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
cwish

How can I set up a song as my ringtone?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Xavo4all

It's really easy, just cut a song (has to be less than 1mb and/or 40 seconds) and BEFORE SINC IT you have to remember to change the genre of the song to RINGTONE, next thing you do, you add it to your phone by zune, and voila! you got a new ringtone!!

cwish wrote:
How can I set up a song as my ringtone?

When they said you can't, it's greater your victory
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Tiek

Yes the PC folder tirck is a good way to solve a problem that should be easier to solve.

Why having to use Memory and create a Folder with copies of muzic/photes and anything we want to sync with the phone when we do not need to.

Much easier to be able to tranfer music via normal copy past right?

Please use plain text.