Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Problem With Ford Sync and Lumia 920

UB003

Problem With Ford Sync and Lumia 920

I have a Ford Flex with Sync by Microsoft and the Nav screen. I was able to have Sync read incoming text messages and reply with short ones with my Samsung Focus. After pairing my Lumia 920 I no longer can do this. The message I get is that "Texting is not supported by this phone via Bluetooth". It seems like Nokia either forgot to add this feature or there is a bug in the phone.

Please use plain text.
ctlizard

Re: Problem With Ford Sync and Lumia 920

I am also having problems with Ford Sync in a 2012 F150 (NOT ford touch).  I am notified of incoming texts, and Sync will read them and ask me if I want to reply.  I can successfully reply to the text message.  However, if I try to use the voice command "text message" with sync, I am told that a phone with text messaging capabilities is not attached" (or some such thing).  I tried turning on the setting to use voice control in sleep (on the Lumia 920) but it had no effect.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

Hey dudes,

As this is a user to user forum only, you would get better support over at the Ford Sync website. Check this link here: http://www.ford.com/technology/sync/

and click on the SYNC support and Phone compatibility boxes down the bottom left side of the page.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

By the way, the Samsung Focus is stated on their phone compatibiliy list. Maybe extra features have to be added to Windows Phones to be compatible with the Ford Sync.
Please use plain text.
UB003

Today, much to my surprise, I received a text message through my Sync from my Lumina 920. Although the car still says that buletooth messages are not available from this device. Seems like it works.

Please use plain text.
UB003

Sorry, adrianhughes, if you feel that way. This according to Sync is a Nokia problem, and this is the place to let Nokia 920 uses who also have Sync to get informed.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
gumbydammit

I've had my phone for a week now and it seems to be very flaky with Sync in my 2011 F-150.  Last night I tried to answer a call through the Sync system and it locked up the phone and the Sync system. Prior to that it just had a tendency to go into privacy mode and sometimes I could talk on the phone and other times I couldn't.  I have only been able to successfully use the bluetooth audio once.

Incidentally, after the phone locked up I called AT&T and they could not figure out how to get it working and said I would have to return to the store to get a replacement.  After playing with the phone on my own I figured out how to do a hard reboot of the phone.  Press and hold all of the buttons (volume up, volume down, power & camera) for about 20 seconds.  That finally got the phone to reboot. 

Another useful sequence that they had me try was the factory reset which is volume down, volume up, volume down and power.  It did not work for me because the phone was locked up and I don't want to try it now because I don't want to have to redo all of my settings.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

If SYNC has a compatibility list of phones that are compatible with it system, then due to the specificity of the document, obviously the SYNC functions are not completely compatible with all Bluetooth-enabled phones - hence the need for the compatibility document. There is no issue with you spreading the awareness of such problems, since they will help out other users here. But really the responsibility in this case appears to be with Ford.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
BIGReub

r those Re: Problem With Ford Sync and Lumia 920

For those of you commenting about the text messages you hear through sync, its a feature of the phone not sync reading your texts. By default its set to read your messages to you when connected to Bluetooth.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jam3

I have a 2010 Ford Fusion.  My wife and I both have Lumina 920's.  We have no trouble pairing the phones to and incoming calls work fine.   When we try to make outgoing calls, SYNC puts us in Privacy mode automatically -- so we can't hear the phone ring or the party we are calling answer.  We can take the phone out of privacy mode by touching the Privacy mode on the SYNC screen -- but we shouldn't have to.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how we fix this problem.  We try a master reset on the SYNC system and a soft reset on the phone.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
blazes22

I have exact same problem.  When initiating a call it puts me into privacy mode.  If i receive a call its fine, and then I can make a call and not be in privacy mode, but when I first make a call I am in privacy mode.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Xterminator

The reading and viewing of text messages and Phone book download trough my 2012 FOrd F-150 Use to work great with my Nokia Lumia 900.  None of these features work on my Nokia Lumia 920.  This is a major set back.  I hope this is a place that Nokia looks at and tries to make these changes ASAP.  Most of my day is spent in my truck these are essential features for me and one of the reasons I drive a Ford. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

As stated earlier, this is most likely an issue with Ford themselves. There was even a thread here about a week ago where a Hyundai owner had problems with their stereo in their 2011/2012 car, and the problem lay with Hyundai who admitted it.

Would take it up with Ford themselves, as it is not up to Nokia / Microsoft to make it compatible with every car system in the world etc.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
JR_GA

I have the exact same problem in my 2012 F150.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
JR_GA

I would never have purchased the Lumia 920 if I knew before hand that it does not work with Ford SYNC. I have since found that the iPhone 5 works great with SYNC.

My biggest issue is that Microsoft wrote the software for both the W8 phones and Ford SYNC, and they are silent on the issue. I can only assume that it will never work? Next time I will do my homework or just buy and iOS device.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

[ Edited ]

There is an update already released for you lucky US owners which should address this issue and several others as well. The rest of the world will apparently have to wait another two months to get it, so stop complaining.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
dholling

[ Edited ]

jam3 wrote:

I have a 2010 Ford Fusion.  My wife and I both have Lumina 920's.  We have no trouble pairing the phones to and incoming calls work fine.   When we try to make outgoing calls, SYNC puts us in Privacy mode automatically -- so we can't hear the phone ring or the party we are calling answer.  We can take the phone out of privacy mode by touching the Privacy mode on the SYNC screen -- but we shouldn't have to.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how we fix this problem.  We try a master reset on the SYNC system and a soft reset on the phone.

Same issue here (and same vehicle, except 2012), it is very annoying.  My 900 I had before and One X+ do not have this issue.  My first 920 had the camera die, so I replaced it.  This issue was present on both phones.  This has just been tested and is still and issue after all of the latest updates from MS and Nokia. 

So, 93tid, why don't you STFU with your all-knowing air about what is and is NOT fixed!

Moderator's Notes: This post was edited as some parts were offensive to other users of the forum. We do not allow offensive posts here in our forum.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
weskenator

Same issue - 2009 F150 - when i make a call it puts the call into privacy mode.  Not all the time, but more of the time - so it's intermittent - which is even more frustrating.  This is not a Ford issue, it's an issue with the Nokia 920.  I had the Nokia 900 and Samsung Focus and never had any issues.  The HTC 8X is looking better and better.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Alpine917

[ Edited ]

Would take it up with Ford themselves, as it is not up to Nokia / Microsoft to make it compatible with every car system in the world etc.

The thing is Ford Sync is a Microsoft product.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
GTTK

I just got a Lumia 920 and it won't pair at all with my 2013 Mustang GT. Sync is up-to-date. My Samsung Focus works fine with it but since I upgraded I can only use it to stream music and can't make calls with it. This is extremely disappointing to put it mildly.
Please use plain text.