Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Problem with deleting temporary files on Lumia 820

Contributor
Ondřej

Problem with deleting temporary files on Lumia 820

Hi,
I've got problem with deleting temporary files on my Lumia 820.
In the Storage Check it indicates 1GB of temporary files. When I tap on the "clear" button, three dots symbol appears and after while it indicates 1GB again. What should I do to erase these files? Thank anyone for help.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Re: Problem with deleting temporary files on Lumia 820

Not all temporary files can be deleted. Some of them are system swap files. The clear button should remove any temp files that can be removed. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Ondřej

Thanks, but I have to ask you: Do you think that it's possible to have 1GB of system swap files? Isn't it "just" bug?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

On my 920, it ranges from around 500mb to 900mb. Goes up and down. Not sure why and how. I believe the system temporarily allocates unused space to speed up processes and gives it back as required.  

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

1 GB of Temporary Files or is it the 'Others' Folder ??

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Ondřej

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Not sure whether you are using the 'Storage Check' application under 'Settings' or the one available thru' the Beta Labs. If its the former, try THIS . To download you need to log-in using the same credentials that you use on this Forum. Once installed, the application will be available under the 'Applications' list (Left swipe n Home screen) ..

Also have a look HERE

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Ondřej

Thanks for your tips. I've tried beta version but with same result.. And that FAQ article seems to be created before Storage Check was implemented into Settings.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Perhaps you could monitor it for a while and if it continues to increase and never decrease then you could consider resetting which should bring you back to square one but does require a bit of work.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Ondřej

<p>What type of reset do you mean? I'm not afraid of work, it couldn't be worse than trying ROMs on X10mini pro :smileywink:</p>
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Settings>About>Reset your phone. This will work but will also wipe your phone. Easiest is to backup essential data only to the cloud before resetting for restoring afterwards. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Ondřej

<p>I think that factory reset is the last resort for me, but thanks for your advice.</p>
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

That's why I mentioned in my earlier post to monitor it first to see what happens before resorting to the reset. 

Please use plain text.