Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Problems with Lumia 710

Professor
caitlin1759

The Plex app on UK marketplace says it is for streaming media from home computers running Plex Media Server which needs to be installed on home pc.. It says nothing about watching live TV direct from the phone. I'm not bothered about asking BBC to make a player for Windows OS as that system isn't the one on my main phone. I'd like to see Nokia as a company keep up with its rivals but for the moment this is one feature where Windows OS simply does not compare for the moment with Apple or Android.
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Part of the capabilities of Plex is that it allows for video 'channels' to be streamed to your Lumia. Amongst these is the BBC iPlayer channel amongst many others. Unfortunately it would seems the BBS has chosen not to create and release an app for Windows Phone at this time. Since there are alternative ways of receiving BBC iPlayer content it would seem there is no technical reason for this not to be possible.

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
anoninspain

I cannot believe the hesitancy about this thread, there is NO doubt the Nokia Lumia and the rest of the Windows phones made by Nokia ARE the worst phones ever made.  I have been a  Nokia fan and user since the mid 80's, so when looking at upgrades the new Nokia seemed an easy choice.  It took me 2 days to get it set up!  The transfer program left half of my contacts behind, customizing the phone with a personal ring tone meant taking on an editor role etc !!

Major problems?  Almost too many too list.  Music player has no stop button - Nokia solution Oh Dear software issue but there is an App you can download.  Great.

Call waiting does not show and no tone beep.

Print size in contacts too small unreadable and unlike normal phones cannot be enlarged.

Making a call from contacts is a 3  click operation.

Slightest touch on "call" option dials your voicemail.  I must have made 20 needless calls in a week.

Difficult to wake up up, button is tiny and recessed.

Forced to use other Windows software - Zune and Windows LIve - to copy or download almost anything.

My advice if you already own one teach it too fly by throwing out of window of a moving car or if you do not own one for God's sake do not buy it.  Interesting that this page and many others like it have no comment from Nokia.  No news for you guys then.

My solution?  I spent 8 hours yesterday trying to copy everything back to my tried and trusted Nokia N95, I think eventually it all worked.  I am a computer engineer and thought these tasks were simple - but not on a Lumia.  Would I buy Nokia again - at the moment no way unless someone from Nokia has the courtesy to apologise for such an awful product.  So now looking to upgrade again from my N95 any suggestions?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
flybywire54

Hi

I dont think using Zune or Skydrive is major problem . Its the way the Windows OS is written . Bluetooth might be a bit limited in useage that is regrettable but not using that very much . Definitely Windows phone have more limitations on the phone setting side then Symbian ones  .

To me major issues on the 710 are

a)Bit limited battery life

b)No alarm when the phone is off . If you dont keep your phone on charger  its battery might be drained when alarm supposed to ring , unless you go on flight mode (havent tried that yet)

c) No Transfert between phones on bluetooth , except contacts , as i said not using that very much

d) Nokia drive not working (but thats a free app, on a 250USD phone  ) GPS not very accurate possibly

d) Earpiece volume a bit on the low side  , if the person you talk too has a quiet voice hard to understand  .

I think d) and e) can be fixed at Nokia care center .

The rest works fine , Apps are good , Wifi good , Skydrive is great , MS Office helps me a lot  . . If I tell you about the many problems on the (much more expensive)  Samsung Galaxy S3 for example   like microphone not working , Wifi not working , Phone refusing to charge , I think  the problems on 710 are just annoying in comparison . In my view the 710 is a  very  decent phone for USD250 . Its not perfect ... for sure

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

The 'No alarm when switched off' is one of the more misunderstood 'missing features' as with other Nokia phone (Sx0 and Symbian series) you do not turn the phone off ever unless you actually remove and insert the battery but you put the phone in a sleep mode. When the alarm time comes it will come out and ring, asking you if you want to bring the phone out of this mode permanently.

The same can be achieved by switching the Lumia to flightmode which will virtually put it in a sleep mode, and switch this mode back off when you wake up. Several apps in marketplace will allow you to put a tile on the start screen to quickly access this function.

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Nobleking

[ Edited ]

I very recently bought Lumia 710 beating the idea of buying Samsung Galaxy S duos. I am not going to talk about the positives of Lumia 710 as a USD 280 device (that is the amount I paid in equivalent INR), it is bound to have couple of positives. But I am surprised and disappointed with the negatives which one would not expect from a smartphone of this category.

1.  Ringtone: You cannot set your favorite song as a ringtone directly from the handset. Someone suggested inthis Forum that it is possible but did not explain how. The same person suggested that not able to do is a trivial issue but there are many less expensive phones that come with this feature and the manufacturers did not think this to be a trivial issue. Definitely with Nokia’s experience it should have been possible to set your favorite song as ringtone with a limitation of 40 seconds.

2.  While setting ringtones it does not play so you would not know what a ringtone sounds like while setting.

3.   Nokia Music: It is a great disappointment. No equalizer. Low volume. I was desparately looking for a way exit the player but could not find one. After pausing the mini toolbar appears on the home screen but I am finding it difficult to close it. There is no easy way to transfer songs from PC.

4.  Overall volume is low.

5.   Font size of numbers in contacts is very small. Overall there is no provision to customise the font size. The font size affects in many places like apps details, apps download status etc.,

6.  There is no option to select and delete multiple SMSs in one step.

7.  It appears Zune software will support only transfer of media contents. There is no provision to transfer documents. It is not simple and straightforward like Nokia PC Suite.

7.  Zune softwre does not support installation of Apps. PC Suite was great in this aspect.

8.  I am missing apps for Google maps.

When you switch on the set and start working, it is difficult to make out when you are connected to network and when you are not. An option of manual prompt whenever the device goes online would have been welcome.

Overall, threre is scope for improvement and I fervently hope Microsft and Nokia address these issues in their upgrade to 7.8. I bought this phone trusting Nokia and Microsoft and I hope they will not belie my hopes. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Nobleking

I just found out it is possible to listen to the ringtone before setting. One needs to press the small play icon on the left of each ringtone to listen to the ringtone.

But the battery is poor. Even with minimum usage, I need to recharge every 12 hours.

Please use plain text.
wahhab

My total storage space is 6.28gb but available storage is only 551mb. How can it be possible as I don't have such huge amount of data stored?? I tried with Zune by managing reserved space but it shows that much only no free memory. Please help me as to how should I manage my storage or get my memory back??

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ShardaT

There is another big broblem with Lumia 710. Whenever i try to charge my phone in train it starts functioning itself. Like calling and other stuffs and does not stop untill unplugged from power socket of train. I am frustated with this mobile. Can someone tell me solution of this issue.. And when will update 7.8 be available.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
hassanmustafa

Dear, my 710 is good enough for me.
Only one problem which I facing. When I go in different area in same city. I can't call to anyone its like call end in start without dial but I can receive I call.
My cell phone network setting is when I select automatic its connect with 3G
Please use plain text.
Shafi_Mahmud

Hi,

I have read all the posts and I want to share some of my bad experiences with Lumia 710. I was egerly waiting for this lumia series since heared about it. But I am disappointed with it. I used it just for 3 months and faced a lot of problems. Here are some issues:

1. Like every body said the phone can't be switched off while charging. (I see the nokia people asked in a post, why is it necessary?) I want to ask them that if I want to switch off my phone but charging it what is the problem of nokia to let us do that?

2. When I turn on the battery saver option, Its horrible. With half of battery charge my phone just hangs while an incoming call rings. I cant even receive the calls. The phone just goes dumb & non responsive.

3. I can't find any ways to check my data usage volume. (I hope nokia thought data usage is been made free by them) 

4. The other issues are discussed by others as well (backup, earpiece volume, syncronization, bluetooth, call option, call log)

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Kingston2013

I need to resurrect this thread. In response to the issue of whether I want to turn my phone off from time to time, well my phone is my personal phone and I need to shut it off while I'm at work. It's not a corporate policy but I find the phone (any phone) incredibly distracting while I'm at work. However sometimes I need to charge it while I'm at work, so that it will have enough power for when I leave work.

Has Windows Phone come out with a fix for this issue?

Unlike some people in the younger generation, I don't need to have a phone constantly turned on. (And I'm in my 20s.) I shut my phone off when I'm at work and when I go to church.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
s4shankar

your advice sucks as Lumia phone

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
s4shankar

Why should BBC promote Lumia phone by creating app for lumia phones...If you are really customer concerned you will not be pointing your fingers at BBC.. Sure enough Nokia is heading towards its doom..
By,
Frustrated user of Lumia
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
booshame

Writing to Nokia is useless. Apparently the company could not care less. I have always loved Nokias. In fact my 10 yr old Nokia still works but the sim card for the Lumia 710 won't fit. Wish it did! This phone  is NUMBER FOUR. In  less than TWO years. FOUR! And I am VERY kind to electronics. All my old very old computers work, as does my old Nokia. The first 2 Lumias BOTH lost microphones...I could not hear a thing on incoming calls UNLESS I turned on the speaker feature. The THIRD phone suddenly cleared itself back to factory settings while I was CALLING a contact?! Then, while on the phone with tech-help, it suddenly froze to the "NOKIA" screen and nothing would reboot it. Not battery removal or techs trying to restart it. It was permanantly frozen. Now Tmobile has sent me # 4 and today is day one...shall see how long THIS one lasts. As soon as my contract is up, I am out of this phone...never again. I am tempted to buy a contract-free throwaway phone from Walmart or wherever to serve as backup for when #4 Lumia quits. A shame because I LOVED my old Nokias.

Please use plain text.
sippy

Hi

Iam experiencing  the following problems:

There is No Bluetooth File Transfer options. Even the normal feature phone support this.

No USB Modem or Bluetooth Modem to connect inetnet with PC. (No USB tethering) (even the S40 OS support this)

No WiFi tethering (No Hotspot) (even the low cost android support this.)

Facebook app is hanging sometimes.

Regards

Sippy

Please use plain text.
Sage
tzsm98

The Lumia 710 was rushed out the door. Everyone is aware of that. My son loves his, it is on WP 7.8 with a shaved pad in the back cover to allow the BP-4L to fit. He doesn't need a smartphone, he needs a low end feature phone and this is like a deluxe low end feature phone to him.

The short time I used a 710 I was also using either a Nokia N8-00 or the Nokia Pureview 808 and I felt like my hands were tied when using the Lumia 710. I am now using the Lumia 1020 on WP 8.1 Developer Release. The Pureview 808 is sitting in my safe, next to my Nokia 8-00 and Nokia N900. The Lumia 1020 is incredibly easy to use, does everything I need it to do, runs smoothly, rarely drops the network, more rarely just randomly reboots.

I loved Symbian when I was using it. A few weeks ago I got out the Pureview for a few days and I no longer see what I saw in it compared to the Lumia 1020. Everything WP used to lack is now pretty much there. I still cannot tether it to my computer using the USB cable, I'd like to have that back especially since T-Mobile is not forthcoming with a fix forwifi sharing. That is about the only feature missing. Greater file access would be nice but that isn't happening and I don't have time to poke around in the guts of this thing like I used to anyway. Try a Lumia 810, a Lumia 925 or other device that will be on WP 8.1. I think you'll see a marked improvement and you'll have the hardware for which Nokia is rightfully famous.

3390 - 6103b - 6133 - 6290 - 6301b - N78-3 - 5610d-2b XpressMusic - 5800d-1b XpressMusic, N900 RX-51, N8-00, C7 Astound, 808 Pureview, Lumia 1020.
Nicer phones and still no one calls me!
Please use plain text.
paramour13

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Scr1bbleee

I've had my nokia lumia 710 for just over 3 years now, its only now deciding that it won't go past the screen where it says nokia when you turn it on, it's important that i have my phone on as work needs to contact me and i need suggestions on how to get rid of this problem asap..

Please use plain text.