Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Problems with Lumia 710

Contributor
Sithick

Problems with Lumia 710

Hi,

I'm long time user of Nokia Phones.

I love Nokia.

Recently, i bought Nokia Lumia 710. (1600.3015.8107.12070)

I faced the following issues

1. I can only transfer MP4 videos thru Zune software. I cant able to transfer 3gp,avi and asf videos.

2. I use Nokia Drive 2.0.0.2148. GPS is not calculating my exact location. When i use offline maps, it is showing message like 'Looking for GPS...' after a long time it connects.  It shows accuracy of about 3000 metres (data from GPS Info app). Only Online maps works. Also, it is not finding exact location. I think it uses A-GPS in open spaces also.

3. There is No Bluetooth File Transfer options. Even the normal feature phone support this.

4. No USB Modem or Bluetooth Modem to connect inetnet with PC. (No USB tethering) (even the S40 OS support this)

5. No WiFi tethering (No Hotspot) (even the low cost android support this.)

6. Facebook app is hanging sometimes.

7. No backup option for cantacts, messages, notes,etc as in Nokia Suite.

8. No File Manager. We cant able to transfer document files from PC. Instead we need to upload it to SkyDrive and download that via Phone. What a new technology??? having PC nearby.

9. Still discovering bugs.......

With all these bugs, how would i recommend this phone to my colleagues or others.????

is there anyway to fix these bugs????

Awaiting your positive response.

Regards,

Sithick

Please use plain text.
itelethozo

Re: Problems with Lumia 710

Hello

I can answer some of your questions, or atleast try to answer them.

3. There is 2 main reason for this. First of all, the windows phones file system is not accessible for nirmal user. I guess,they don't want us to mess with it. Second, this way they prevented the sharing of non-free mp3s. i'm not sure about this, but sounds a good reason. (It's not my duty to judge about this:-))
4&5. Wifi tethering is on its way. Wp has this feature,but the lumia series will have it later.
6. The fb app is pretty messed up,i suggest you to use a browser,and the fb mobile page. I use the fb app for the notifications only.
7. Wp stores all your contacts on your live account, and maybe on your gmail too. I don't know anything about nites and messages,but when your phone is updating,zune makes a backup,so you should check zune for this feature.
8. Check my first answer.
9. In my opinion wp7 is a little beta like. A lots of important features are missing now,but patches are coming almost every month, so we have to be a little patient. I'm focusing on the good things (extreme fast os,and such).
I hope,i helped you.

itelethozo
Ps: sorry for my english.
Please use plain text.
burriritu

i also agree with sithick, nokia lumia 710 is the worst phone ever i had. i m big supporter of nokia i used lot of phones like htc wildfire, nokia n8, samsung galaxy.. etc, but lumia 710 is horrible.dont purchase lumia now. just check all those problems is solved in the latest updated software or not and then purchase. as of now it is worst than a local phone.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Sithick

yes i agree with you.

But we need all these features which a normal symbian phone had.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

Sithick wrote:

yes i agree with you.

But we need all these features which a normal symbian phone had.

Unfortunately you will not get them from WP.

Please use plain text.
jege41

Problems with Lumia 710

[ Edited ]

I'm like what an OS this phone has. All I can say is that if you own MS stock dump it fast as the OS on this phone is so bad its not even funny.

I think what they are trying to do here is a last ditch attempt to capture the online services market but it isn't going to work, because they have made this OS to weird.

I'm a pretty seasoned user and I generally am able to get gadgets to work but dudes this puppy is something else. I have 14 days to exchange it so Im going to give it my best shot for another couple of days and see where it goes.

The phone itself is pretty decent otherwise I would have returned on the 2nd day. Its pretty fast and the screen is nice and bright and if not some major concerns I wouldn't be a complaining.

1st} There is no way to import your bookmarks into the phone without using a online service.

2nd} I haven't been able to successfully export my old contact list from my LG P500 Android.

The 710 seems to only use contacts that are stored on online services even though I have imported my contacts using the Contact transfer function on the phone.

3rd)The phone won't shut off while charging even if you shut the phone down , plug it in and it turns on no matter what you do.

The Zune software is all glitter and no meat too unfortunately.

I really wanted an alternative and the phone is such good value and a local new Provider has a 27 $ a month unlimited everything, but luckily they have a 14 day phone exchange policy.

I'm going to keep for a few more days and see if I can get it to work the way i want it to.

Moderator's notes: Profanity removed, such language is not tolerated on the forums, please read the forum guidelines

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
imrsk

Got nokia jus bcoz it used to be user friendly... but regretting after buying lumia 710.... lots of drawbacks .. above all a major one for a medical professional like me.. The calls that i miss while busy with some other people is not displayed in the missed call list...but people think that i ll call them back once im free.. how can i solve this issue....??  Do someone else face same problem??  had sent mail to nokia crae already but no response...?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
roshanzune

Regarding your Q.2
I got my Lumia 710 a month back, and regret the decision now. I too face the same problem with Nokia drive app not able to access GPS, as most other people who got the Lumia 710 in the recent months.
I tried doing everything possible on the software side from updating the app and the OS version to re-installing the app. Nothing works. I called the Nokia helpline and they were of not much use, except for the advice of going to Nokia care centre.
After going through many forum discussions, I see this issue is pretty common and is related to hardware. The only solution that worked is replacement of the motherboard.
I wonder why Nokia is not addressing this issue, since its quite clear that the problem is quite widespread.
I used to be a big supporter of Nokia earlier. But lately, Nokia really sucks.
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

If you believe your Lumia 710 may not be functioning correctly you should visit a Nokia Care Point to have it examined. As this appears to be a hardware related case there is not much the Nokia Care line or your fellow forum members can do to help you with this. 

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
asif_67213

I think Nokia has already manufactured the worst phone ever available in the market that is Nokia Lumia 710.
Problems I discovered till now (two months use)

1. You can't switch off it while charging.
2. You can't set your favorite song as ringtone.
3. You cant send/receive any file with the help of Bluetooth.
4. You cant watch online TV.
5. You can't take backup of your data stored in your phone.
6. You can't add music/video in your phone if you don't have latest windows software installed in your pc as zune can't be installed in your pc if there is no service pack 3 with internet connection.
The list of bugs continues..........
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

[ Edited ]

Hi asif_67213,

Thanks for your feedback, I'll try and answers the points you are making in your post. Let us know if you have any further queries. 

1. While some phones will go into a sleep mode when connected to a charger while being off, Windows Phone will turn on. Could you explain why this would be such an issue for you?
  2. You actually can, although some limitations apply. Ringtones can be upto 40 seconds long, be 1MB large and can't be copy protected. In general your ringtone would not sound for more that 40 seconds so would seem to be a trivial issue.
  3. This is true, but not unique to Windows Phone.
  4. This is not correct, there is a number of apps which will allow you to watch live TV on a Windows Phone such as Plex.
  5. With the exception of the contents of the messaging hub you can backup any personal data through a choice of options. Important messages can be copy/pasted to OneNote if so desired.
  6. You are saying you find it strange that Zune requires a version of Windows released April 2008 or later to work and you also find it strange that in order to fetch information , data or updates you need an internet connection on your PC?

Hope this helps.

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
jege41

The learning curve is about two weeks on the phone and once that is over I can almost guarantee that you will be a believer.

I bought this phone because I wanted a fast inexpensive alternative to an iPhone. I paid 250.00 outright for a phone that works on virtually all the  different cell bands out in 2012, and specifically on Mobilicity a low cost carrier here in Vancouver.

If you think that for 250.00 you should get exactly the same features as an iPhone then you are dreaming, however as an owner of both the iPhone 4 and a Lumia 710 I can honestly say that I prefer the Lumia 710 as I love the VR to text that connects flawlessly to my cars BT which allows for sending and recieveing hands free text messages while driving, my iPhone 4 won't do that!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
roshanzune

The least that Nokia does is they come out with a press release on this issue for the benefit of all Lumia 710 users, since the problem seems to be quite widespread. This not some isolated case, but a basic issue of a design flaw or quality control problem.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
roshanzune

Looks like this is a common problem in lumia 710. Its a hardware related problem. The only solution seems to be replacement of the phones motherboard at Nokia Care Centre..
Please use plain text.
Sage
banlec

"1. While some phones will go into a sleep mode when connected to a charger while being off, Windows Phone will turn on. Could you explain why this would be such an issue for you?"

And even better question would be: Why do you want to turn off your phone from time to time?

"5. With the exception of the contents of the messaging hub you can backup any personal data through a choice of options. Important messages can be copy/pasted to OneNote if so desired."

You cannot backup any contacts, sms, mms, emails, contacts, calendar entries, game progress using Zune. This is a pain if your online synchronization does not work. Ovi Suite was a way better.  Is there at least an option like 'backup my phone now'? For backing up of anything?

Please use plain text.
Professor
caitlin1759

It's a bit of an understatement to say some limitations apply re television. There are a few apps in the UK marketplace none of them come within a million miles of BBC iplayer. One of them has a BBC sports channel which is recorded clip so out of date it has a feature about UK athletes hoping to be chosen for the Olympics. Maybe the apps are better on other markets.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
roshanzune

There are just too many issues with that phone. It seems its poorly designed and engineered and lax manufacturing quality controls.
Its best that Nokia does a product recall for Lumia 710. It would help salvage some of its reputation.
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

banlec wrote:

You cannot backup any contacts, sms, mms, emails, contacts, calendar entries, game progress using Zune. This is a pain if your online synchronization does not work. Ovi Suite was a way better.  Is there at least an option like 'backup my phone now'? For backing up of anything?

Why would one backup email? Your emails are stored on the mail server and synced back to your phone as soon as you add the appropriate account after a reset

The same goes for contacts and calendar entries. These are in sync 24/7 as long as you have an internet connection. Getting an archived copy of these is trivial. In the case of your liveID, just go to the contacts and select Manage>Export to download a .csv file with contacts or in case of calendars a .ics file holding all your entries for that calendar.

Whether or not game progress is saved depends partly on how an app developer stores this information.

Kosh

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

caitlin1759 wrote:
It's a bit of an understatement to say some limitations apply re television. There are a few apps in the UK marketplace none of them come within a million miles of BBC iplayer.

BBC iPlayer is available through the app Plex. Unfortunately the BBC is not able to to produce a Windows Phone iPlayer client for reason unknown. If you'd like to see such player you should address this with the BBC. Seeing how there is many aps doing similar things it would seem that there is no technical limitations why this would not be possible.

Kosh

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
celebrateoften

I just ordered my Lumia 710. Since it is my first smartphone, most of the issues listed herre are not yet w/in my needs. However, is it true that a call you get while talking to someone else wont apprear on the missed-call list?

Please use plain text.