Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Proximity Sensor stuck in "Detected" state on Lumi...

Registered Member
snowblower

Proximity Sensor stuck in "Detected" state on Lumia 800

[ Edited ]

Hello, as of last week, I am unable to end calls on my Lumia 800. As soon as I hit send on a phone call, whether the phone is close to my face or not, the phone goes black, and stays black until the other end hangs up.

I went into the Diagnostics to check the Proximity Sensor and it is stuck in "Detected" mode. My phone has no screen cover and is only about a month old. There's nothing obstructing the top right side corner over the sensor. This behavior didn't begin after any update, and I have no background tasks running (though I don't believe the sensor is available via the APIs anyways).

Since there's a ton of people on xda-developers with the same issue, is there any fix to this or is my phone faulty? Is Nokia aware of this and has there been any effort to contact providers or Lumia 800 customers to let them know this is a major, wide reaching problem with this phone?

OS version 7.10.8107.79

Firmware rev: 1600.2483.8107.11501

Hardware rev: 112.1402.2.4

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Sergent

Re: Proximity Sensor stuck in "Detected" state on Lumia 800

Hi snowblower,

Thanks for your post!

Your can check if he sensor works correctly by going to diagnostic tools (if not available dial ##634#) and select the proximity test. You will see a yellow circle. When you put your hand over the sensor, which is in the left top corner of the Lumia 800, the circle will turn green until you remove your hand. If you are still stuck in "Detected" mode or it does not happen as described, please go to a Nokia Care point to have your device checked.

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on,

Sergent

If my response has helped you in any way, show it by hitting the WHITE STAR... If you don't a MONSTER will come and eat your lunch...
Also hit the Accept as solution button, so OTHERS can benefit from this helpful answer...
DON'T BE SHY...
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
snowblower

As stated in my original post, I've already done that. So my phone is broken then? Can you confirm if this is a hardware issue, because lots of people are having this same issue.

Please use plain text.
raptorfa22

Had the same problem. Proximity sensor is next to useless! I had to restore phone as the only way I could end a call was to restart it. Seems to play up in different light levels, I can sometimes face it down on a surface for a few seconds after a call then pull it back up and the screen becomes responsive. Not really ideal though is it? Software = 9 hardware = 2.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Levitator

I'm also having the same problem and by installing the diagnostics I was able to verify that it is the proximity sensor that gets stuck in the detected mode. I have a feeling as if this is due to having dirt or moisture on the touch screen where the sensor is OR sometimes the rubber cover is extending onto the screen area. I had a sort of a similar issue with basic screen operation - SW buttons were unresponsive - until I noticed that if I squeezed the phone from the side and made the rubber cover to press against the sides of the screen.

But, is there something that the Nokia Care can really do something about this, not only by exchanging the phone? Quite recently I had a new phone because the phone just went dead all of a sudden. What a hassle to set up the phone again... :smileyfrustrated: If you have to go through this, install the Reinstaller app to make it much speedier.

Levitator

Please use plain text.
suyog1101995

If screen gaurd is on the sensor then it will not work.remove this screen gaurd and use holed screen gaurd.
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi all,

If the proximity sensor is activated constantly and you are not using a screenprotector or cover which may block the sensor you should visit a Nokia Care Point to have your device checked and/or repaired.

Hope this helps,

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
naresh1687

how to activate automatic rotation of screen on lumia-710

hi fren,

i have lumia-710. the screen is not getting auto rotated wen ever i turn it. i didnt find any settings regarding that. pls let me knw about how to activate it..

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Braai

Hello.
I have the same issue with my Nokia Lumia 800. Its only a few months old.
I've spoken to Nokia Care and they will have it repaired.

On my phone there is a temporary solution though....

The corner of my screen, where the headphone jack plugs in, is slighly higher than the other 3 corners,

seemingly because it is loose or coming loose and when I press the corner down during a call (when the phone is away from my ear ie. proximity sensor deactivated) the screen comes back on and it can be used as normal.

I also find that if I press the centre of the screen, quite hard, the screen comes back on.

This is obviously not a permanent solution, but could prove handy.

Try trouble shooting it while phoning your voicemail.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
lindsve

I've had this issue as well for some time now and just ran the diagnostics tool which confirmed that the sensor was stuck on Detected.

THIS FIXED IT FOR ME:

Just blow hard in the headphone jack. Seems dust/lint can get to the sensor via the headphone jack and can be removed by blowing hard in the opening.

Please use plain text.
P3te2

[ Edited ]

I've got the same problem appear on my second Lumia 800 handset (after the first one died from failing to charge!) On ##634# i can see that i get stuck/fluctuation on 'Detected' if i leave a fingerprint or mark on the sensor. I have to wipe ACROSS the sensor to get it to work properly again. Strangely, wiping downwards doesn't eliminate the problem.

This is only a temporary fix and only works ~70% of the time. But at least I can hang up calls now until i get it fixed by 3 (my operator). Hope this helps.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ok64

Same problem here. Proximity sensor is stuck according to the Nokia ##634# diagnostics and pushing on the left corner unlocks it temporarily.

Seems like a design flaw. Wondering how many phones have this. Will Nokia replace phones without cost instantly?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mariosotolara

THANK U   , worked excelent

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
EdgeWaySoft

same problems here for both lumias I had 800 suffered all kinds of issues, the 920 is much improved but the proximity sensor is still unreliable, I only use the phones for testing Apps, they are too awkward to use as a general purpose phone, sad to say the Iphone is most reliable.

I would guess it down to NOKIA rushed efforts to get phones out and not undergoing enough testing.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Navushivalika

I also have this problem dear... What can I do .. I can't end any call .. Omg I have to put sim card out ahhahah
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Navushivalika

I try ##634# and it shows a green sign and say Detected .. What can I do now
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
kseh

Having the same problem . Had given the phone to Nokia Care and got it back a day before and now the same problem has resurfaced again.

Very dissappointed as it is very dificult to keep changing phones every day and now.

Please use plain text.
Community Manager
tiny_chef

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
wHem

Got the same problem with my Lumia 800 - proximity sensor stuck in Detected. None of the above mentioned solutions seems to help... Does anyone know such a Nokia Care Point for/in Belgium? thx!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jokephone

i am having the same on my nokia lumia 800 and it is my third one of these phones as i do like the phone but now getting fed up and getting a samung gal 2 shame as i have always had nokia phones the best one being the n95 so i will be leaving nokia for the first time shame they can not fix the problem

Please use plain text.