Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Proximity sensor doesn't switch off - Lumia 92...

Contributor
atisho

Re: Proximity sensor doesn't switch off - Lumia 920

[ Edited ]

anyone that has installed a SCREEN PROTECTOR has to read this:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp8-wpgroups/lumia-920-screen-goes-off-while-in-ca...

I cut out the portion between the front camera and the NOKIA logo and now I am a happy lumia 920 user. :thumbsup:

Please use plain text.
usrx

chiming in because mine is doing the screen shutoff as well.  under bright light, i see that dust particles have accumulated under the screen where the front facing camera lies.  my sensor issues seem to come and go, which leads me to believe that the dust-under-screen problem is also affecting the proximity sensor.  perhaps as dust particles move around, they sometimes block the sensor.  mine is only a couple weeks old.  not too happy.

Please use plain text.
java24

My 920 has the same issue, very annoying. Blowing it sometimes works, sometimes not. It seems like this is just a sensor issue that could be fixed with an update, turn down the sensitivity or something.

Is NOKIA aware of this situation, are they going to fix it??? Has Nokia said anything about it?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
grumpyone

I had a screen protector but removed it before the proximity sensor failed due to a reluctance on the screen protector to stay on.  Removed about 3 days after obtaining the phone.  Proximity problems started about 11 days into ownership.  Got run around from ATT call support and the company store, a franchise store and a service center.  I have tried cleaning the screen, soft, hard resets.  Failed.    ATT second tier support says that this is a problem with the sensor.  Nokia apparently knows about it because they are delaying shipments - that may explain the shortages, but no one wants to publicly acknowledge the problem.

NOKIA,  you out there?

Grumpyone

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
grumpyone

I have been having the same problem. I started playing with the settings in the brightness feature unter settings. I set it to HIGH and set the feature to auto and the phone stayed on during test calls. Clearly there is some hardware or software issue here, but this may be a workaround. Now what to do with the replacement 820 that ATT is sending out do to my 1.5 hours on the phone with them.
Please use plain text.
avk0

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem...after having for about 10 days, problem started.  I have tried every one of the work arounds...some work for me, some don't...when they do work, they work temporarily.  The recalibrating of the sensor method by putting on/off under light or by covering up sensor did not seem to work at all.  But one thing I did notice is that even when I have the problem, during a call if I put phone under the bright light of a lamp, the screen comes right back on, and when I remove from under the lamp, screen goes black again.  This to me certainly confirms a sensor problem.

I am curious...those who are getting a run around from AT&T, what is their basis...are you not able to confirm problem in front of them?   Once I have the problem, it never goes away unless I do one of the short term fixes (and even then it might not go away), so I dont think I should have any problem reproducing it in front of customer service...so what have they been saying to people?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
TobyGadd

After blowing on my phone every few days for the past month, I finally called AT&T. They offered me a refurb replacement--which I turned down. I'm not really excited about trading my new phone for a refurb. If I'd wanted a refurb, I would have bought one to start with. So they told me to call Nokia.

Nokia says that I can send it in for a warrenty repair, but that it'll take 7-10 days. Which isn't great, since I need to use my phone for business. Nokia wouldn't exchange it at all.

I really like my phone, and three of my employees have bought 920's after I showed them mine. But at this point, I feel pretty let down by AT&T and Nokia. I wish that one of them would simply exchange my new phone for another new phone, and call it good.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
fixurwagon

I purchased my 920 on the first day of availability and just started having this problem today. This is an extremely annoying problem. Basically, there is no way to hang up from a phone call or do some other activity when i am on a call.

This is a Nokia forum, right? It would be nice for someone from Nokia to step up and tell us how they are going to resolve this issue. I suspect this problem is quite widespread and the solution is not close at hand, or they would have provided some information by now.

I love the phone, but can't use it in this condition and blowing out the earpiece periodically really isn't something I expect to have to do in this day and age.  Nokia, please address ASAP, or HTC here I come.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

I have the exact same problem !!

This is really annoying, it keeps hanging the calls on people I call or put a call on hold and call another person, even if I lock the screen it keeps typing the password for several time till it says try it a mintute.

An updated should be released or if it's hardware issue, we should get replacement !!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

iRe: Proximity sensor doesn't switch off - Lumia 920

The issue persists. Blowing, cleaning the screen doesn't work and neither does restarting in extremely bright light conditions or setting the brightness to the highest level and switching off auto brightness. This is extremely annoying and makes me believe this is a hardware issue indeed, especially since my girl friend has the same phone except hers works fine. Could anybody from Nokia please clarify? Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
PeterFares

[ Edited ]

My AT&T Lumia 920 which I got on launch day is also having proximity sensor issues. My front camera also has a lot of dust in it, so I assume the dust is in the proximity sensor, too. Very disappointing. Hopefully turning down the sensitvity on the sensor can solve the problem, I don't want a refurbished phone, I just bought this one.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
HTown920

I used some caned air and that too fix the issue with the proximity sensor. I can now call people and have access to the screen if I need to. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
TheBrent

I have found a workaround...... if you dial by voice (hold down windows button) and say "CALL  _________ (person's name or say the number) ON SPEAKERPHONE", the screen will stay functional, but it means you have to talk on speakerphone; but at least you have full access to the screen. I don't have a bluetooth headset, but it may still work the same............. 

Please use plain text.
ekutter

Just figured I'd add on to this thread to help bring it to Nokia's attention. iPhone 4S switcher here, had an iPhone 3GS before that, and I've never noticed so much dust inside my phone as I have with the Lumia 920. There's a decent amount of dust that shows up inside the front-facing camera, and apparently now there must be dust inside my proximity sensor. I'm getting the same issue others are having - as soon as you begin a phone call, the screen goes dark and locks, as the proximity sensor must think it's pressed to my face. Makes it really difficult to enter numbers for automated systems.

Having worked with IR proximity sensors before, I can definitely understand that they're weird to work with and calibration can always be a pain. I definitely hope there is a software fix to make the sensor more reliable, and if there's no software fix - we really need a v2 of the phone that doesn't let so much dust into its innards. Those of us who shelled out $450 for a brand new unsubsidized phone deserve to have an awesome reliable phone that we can whole-heartedly recommend to friends!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
JayC12

I have been searching for this for awhile. Im very relieved to know im not the only one with this issue. I found the Nokia Lumia 920 online a few weeks before it came out. I switched from US Cellular to At&t because I wanted this phone.

Flat out I love the phone. But about a week after I got it it started to do the lock out screen with the calls. I hope they fix this soon because none of the solutions posted work for me.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jeffpro

I started running into this issue when the phone was a couple of weeks old. It has made the phone almost unsuable for me, because if I place a call and get into someone's voicemail, I often lose the phone for several minutes since I can't end the call.

I'm almost ready to ditch the 920 for an HTC 8X. A smart phone that won't let me use it as a phone is useless. Nokia's silence on this is frustrating.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Amplivate

Same problem. Reading through the thread I tried a power on/off, checked various settings, rubbed the sensor with my finger and my shirt and a cotton swab, and held the phone up to lightbulbs. Shining a flashlight into the sensor while it was blacked out during a phone call would cause the screen to light up however. I finally tried blowing off the sensor and top of the phone with some canned air and amazingly that worked. No idea why that would work over any other fix... but we'll see how long it lasts.

Please use plain text.
EricSeattle

Same problem, proximity sensor gets blocked by dust, blow on it and shine in bright light to see screen.  Since I do not see a Nokia response I am forced to return the phone and get an 8x.  Bummer

Please use plain text.
BTN99

I had the same problem yesterday. I could get to the "end call" screen. None of the tips worked.  I've had the920 since 11/9/2012.  There was  an update this morning to "extras+info". Now version: 1.6.1.62

The phone worked OK today.  I don't know if the updated was the fix or not.  

Anybody else with the "black screen" fixed after the update?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
sith1905

I had the same problem for last two weeks and nothing helped (Russia) - only very-very bright light and also pushing power button (the screen turns on for a little moment so you can manage to hit "end call").

Yesterday I gave up and carried it to Nokia care...so I don't know whether the last update would help..

Please use plain text.