Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Proximity sensor doesn't switch off - Lumia 92...

Registered Member
boooom22332

Re: Proximity sensor doesn't switch off - Lumia 920

There are 2 seperate issues people are talking about in forums that seem to be connected.

1. Dust collecting in the front facing camera.

2. Proximity sensor locked.

Lots of people who have the Lumia 920 have begun to suspect that the dust getting into the front facing camera is getting in through the ear piece/vent. This dust doesnt jus sit in the camera, but accumulates over time to obscure the proximity sensor....

This is such **bleep** for a phone I paid full price for, and now cant return for a new one!

Please use plain text.
Intrepolicious

Having same problem occasionally on my 920... I can't believe nobody at Nokia has responded to this thread yet.

Has anyone tried emailing Mr. Elop yet? If we all have faulty devices (those of us with dust/proximity issues), then we all need brand new replacements! There needs to be a recall!

Please use plain text.
idez

Yes.. I have the exact same issue. Phone is not accessible when picking up a call, when put away it still shows black screen. Pressing power button does not help. Have to wait for the other party to end the call, then it will resume.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

How come Nokia is still silent about this? Everyday I hear more people complaining about the same issue. Dust particles and black screen during calls, which seem to be related..

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
trobins4

Same problem here.  2 things contribute to the problem 1) dust and 2) smudges on the sensor.  Although the dust may be a contributer the smudges are the main issue.  Test it out.  Clean the sensor with an actual screen wipe Then make a call.  It will work.  Then rub some oil from your face...yes everyone has oil on their face.  Then make a call.  It wont work.   Until they fix the sensitivity or replace the sensors we will have to carry around a screen wipe.

Thanks Nokia.  Maybe try testing your product in the real world...outside of your sanitized R&D facility filled with lab coat people patting each other on the back.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
kline

just want to chime in on this. in my case it was simply my mirror screen protector (and whatever the stuff under the protector) that is interferning with the sensor. i took the screen protector out and wiped the sensor area really clean and it works afterwards. i'll cut off the upper portion of my screen protector that blocked the sensor.

i own a LG Quantum (WP7) with also a mirror screen protector, though it never had that problem. i suppose the Lumia 920 has a sensitive sensor.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jorupp

I've been having the issues too - I'd tried blowing on it from several angles, with no luck.  I was on my way to the AT&T store to see if I could talk them into a swap when I stopped to pick up some compressed air and just give that a shot.  Fired several short bursts at the top of the phone from all angles, and now it's working just like you'd expect.    Even after bouncing around in my pocket all afternoon, it's working like a charm.

Seems odd that I needed to do that to get it working, but sure enough, it worked.  Mentioned it to the rep @ the AT&T store when I got there later (had some other issue to deal with), and she said that was what they're suggesting if people have issues with the proximity sensor (though she didn't say if that was specific to the Lumia 920, or just a general thing they suggest for this kind of issue).

Anyway, just figured I'd throw in my experience with it as well.  I'm just hoping this isn't something I have to do every day to keep it working...

Please use plain text.
perkri

Seems like the "whole Nokia 920" world gets this problem. USA , UK, Russia, Norway, Germany, France, Dubai, Argentina etc etc.

My phone ended up with this after using it 4-5 days. Some times it still take some blowing to get it running again. But only for a short time.... Really hope that some Nokia representatives will get out here soon to announce what they will do about this....

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
PhoneUser321

This started happening to me, too. I bought my 920 unlocked from eBay, so I'm pretty much stuck with it. It's a dust problem. Instead of blowing on the phone I use a vacuum cleaner. First shut the phone down, them remove the SIM card receptacle. Attach the accessories to the vacuum so it has the smallest suction surface possible, then vacuum the top area between the case and the glass. It works.

I figure that vacuuming would be more effective than blowing... at least you're removing the dust, not just moving it around.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
customer999

I'm jumping in to say that vacuuming worked when blowing hard did not. Thank you for the suggestion. I have access to the call screen now, though there is a peculiar 1 second black out at the beginning of the call. I think I can live with that. Keeping my fingers crossed that this holds.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
PhoneUser321

Further info... the problem came back later today. I'm pretty sure it's because I always carry the phone in the front pocket of my jeans, top facing down. I'm pretty sure it's the lint that's getting into that space between the top of the case and the glass. After I vacuumed it was back to normal.

I placed a narrow strip of clear scotch tape over the that seam. Let's see if that will keep the lint out.

Please use plain text.
atisho

i have had my 920 for about 3 weeks and luckily the issue has not happened.  as a precaution, i cut a long strip from a large screen protector and cover the gap surrounding the screen.  hopefully this will prevent this from happening.  i always put my phone in a laptop bag and that may help a bit.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

I had the same issue, again the proximity sensor was the problem, but caused by my screen protector. The protector was provided by my phone provider, for the Lumia 920, and was cut to fit around the front camera and speaker, but obviously sat over the proximity sensor. I cut off the top right-hand corner of the screen protector and, voila! Fixed!
Other forums have talked about blowing dust off the camera/sensor, even using compressed air into the audio port, which also seemed to work for people who had the issue without using screen protectors.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
pradeepgraj

Yes, this fixed it for me as well! Thanks for the suggestion.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
pbowles3

[ Edited ]

OK.  I think I have finally figured this thing out!!  NOT a permanent solution, but this at least addresses the problem

regarding the proximity sensor issue, as well as the issue with dust accumulating in the front facing camera.  Please read

on!  And NOKIA, if you are reading this and would like to reach me, please email me at XXXXXXXX@gmail.com.

Got my phone on 12/2/2012.  To date (12/31/2012), my two complaints with this phone (which is of the black variety) have

been A) the proximity sensor issue (holy **bleep** is this frustrating), and B) the front facing camera (FFC) lens getting a

bunch of dust in/on it (my FFC image was absolutely atrocious when dust was in there).  I do NOT have a cover, or any sort

of protective shielding... just the phone.

THE PROBLEM:  Without rehashing the whole thing (if you are reading this, surely you have read some previous posts!?), the

symptoms of the proximity sensor issue are:  you dial a number using the keypad, or the little "circled phone" icon, and

once the call is initiated, and BEFORE YOU PUT THE PHONE TO YOUR EAR, the screen/dial pad goes black (it sometimes

flickers, or will go out, come back on, go out, etc).  This (the dial pad going black) is not supposed to happen

unless/until the proximity sensor detects that the phone gets close to your ear/head.  However, when the problem is

occuring, it would happen even if the phone is sitting on a table.  The actual call works just fine (i.e. you can put the

phone to your ear, and converse w/ the other party).  The problem is that A) there is no (easy) way to hang up, because the

screen doesn't come back until the call ends (only after the OTHER party has hung up).  The other (B) problem is that if

you want to use the number pad during a call (to enter a bank account number for example), you can't.  Also, your call-

waiting feature is useless, because there is no way to switch between callers when the screen is black.  Sidenote:  I did

have a little success pressing the power button twice during a call, which would bring up the screen for a fraction of a

second, and, if timed just right, could manage to hang up or put a call on speakerphone - which, incidentally, will bring

up the keypad (and probably disables the proximity sensor in the process).

THE CAUSE:  Folks, this is all due to SOMETHING "blocking the view" of the proximity sensor.  In MY case, it was dust.  If

you have a screen protector/shield, it may be that causing it, or perhaps a combination of dust AND the shield.  FYI, the

proximity sensor is a little difficult to locate, but you can find it by tilting the phone at the correct angle under a

lamp.  You'll see it located just above the "N" in the NOKIA logo at the top left of the face of the phone.  It shows up as

a black(er) oval beneath the glass.  Note that the FFC is just to the left of it.

THE ATTEMPTS AT FIXING:  Seeing the dust in the FFC, I figured dust HAD to be playing a role in the MUCH more aggravating

proximity sensor issue.  So, just to get it out of the way, I tried first power cycling the phone.  No go.  Then I read

where you could try to blow out the dust by puckering your lips and forming a jet stream of air. Seemed to work a little,

but really a no go.  Then I thought geeez, it's gotta be getting IN there some place... ah!  the audio port hole.  So I

went and bought a can of compressed air, and put the straw down in the hole a bit, blew from all different angles.  No go..

NOTHING... NA DA.  Getting frustrated (after about 10 days of frustration), I then checked for firmware/software updates

from Nokia (thinking it was a sensitivity issue).  None (by the way, all of the above were done BEFORE AND AFTER the

"Portico" update released on/about Dec 20, and the update itself had no effect on this issue).

THE ONE FIX THAT IS WORKING:  So today, after reading more in a different discussion about the dust on the FFC, I aimed my

can of compressed air at a DIFFERENT SPOT.  That spot is at the seam where the glass meets the case just above the FFC and

the NOKIA logo.  I will tell you that MY seam looks very tight, very clean and without flaw.  But, it obviously isn't. 

Anyway, I aimed the air can's straw right at the seam, and sprayed the air (be careful not to spray the liquid of the

compressed air in there (test spray it first, holding the can upright)).  What do you know - the FFC was cleared of dust! 

I then adjusted my aim to above the proximity sensor, and sprayed more air.  Then, tried to make a call.  WHAMMO!!!  It

worked!!!

So, after struggling for about two weeks with this, and reading every single one of the previous 114 entries here (often

more than once), my conclusion is that this is either a design or manufacturing flaw.  I do NOT believe it is an issue with

the "sensitivity" of the proximity sensor (as suggested by some), but is all due to dust getting into the seam that

probably has not been sealed incorrectly. 

Thanks to all of the previous posts for the insight.  I know much of this is repetitive info, but felt like many of the

previous posts didn't address it fully.  Hope this has, and hope it helps.  For those having random phone power cycling,

and power/battery issues, I have not (yet) experienced this.  I did have one day where my battery drained faster than

normal, but a power cycle seems to have cleared that up, and I had been monkeying with things on the phone that day as

well.

Two questions remain:  1) Is this a problem with EVERY phone, or a certain batch?  2)  How should/will Nokia go about

fixing this permanently?  Carrying this phone in one pocket, and a can of air in the other is NOT a solution!

Lastly, I'll say this.  The issues/frustration with the dust issue would, hands down, normally be a deal breaker for me. 

But I am ABSOLUTELY LOVING this phone!!  Yes, it is a little big, compared to the original Samsung Focus that I had (and

loved) as my first WP phone.  But, bigger also means better in a lot of ways on this phone.  Also LOVE Windows Phone 8!! 

Kudos to Nokia and Microsoft!!  Now, NOKIA!  Let's fix this dust issue PLEASE!

Moderator's Notes: This post was edited and the email address was removed. Please do not provide any personal information as such in a public forum.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
incidor

[ Edited ]

My freind just bought the 920 and came over and complained the screen goes dark when answering and making phone calls. this was due in his case to his screen protector covering the proximity sensor above and around the n in the nokia logo on the top right or the phone. he snipped the overlap off and it works fine. this whole thing about dust, etc, is **bleep**. do yourself a favor and take my advice.

pbowles3 wrote:

OK.  I think I have finally figured this thing out!!  NOT a permanent solution, but this at least addresses the problem

regarding the proximity sensor issue, as well as the issue with dust accumulating in the front facing camera.  Please read

on!  And NOKIA, if you are reading this and would like to reach me, please email me at XXXXXXXX@gmail.com.

Got my phone on 12/2/2012.  To date (12/31/2012), my two complaints with this phone (which is of the black variety) have

been A) the proximity sensor issue (holy **bleep** is this frustrating), and B) the front facing camera (FFC) lens getting a

bunch of dust in/on it (my FFC image was absolutely atrocious when dust was in there).  I do NOT have a cover, or any sort

of protective shielding... just the phone.

THE PROBLEM:  Without rehashing the whole thing (if you are reading this, surely you have read some previous posts!?), the

symptoms of the proximity sensor issue are:  you dial a number using the keypad, or the little "circled phone" icon, and

once the call is initiated, and BEFORE YOU PUT THE PHONE TO YOUR EAR, the screen/dial pad goes black (it sometimes

flickers, or will go out, come back on, go out, etc).  This (the dial pad going black) is not supposed to happen

unless/until the proximity sensor detects that the phone gets close to your ear/head.  However, when the problem is

occuring, it would happen even if the phone is sitting on a table.  The actual call works just fine (i.e. you can put the

phone to your ear, and converse w/ the other party).  The problem is that A) there is no (easy) way to hang up, because the

screen doesn't come back until the call ends (only after the OTHER party has hung up).  The other (B) problem is that if

you want to use the number pad during a call (to enter a bank account number for example), you can't.  Also, your call-

waiting feature is useless, because there is no way to switch between callers when the screen is black.  Sidenote:  I did

have a little success pressing the power button twice during a call, which would bring up the screen for a fraction of a

second, and, if timed just right, could manage to hang up or put a call on speakerphone - which, incidentally, will bring

up the keypad (and probably disables the proximity sensor in the process).

THE CAUSE:  Folks, this is all due to SOMETHING "blocking the view" of the proximity sensor.  In MY case, it was dust.  If

you have a screen protector/shield, it may be that causing it, or perhaps a combination of dust AND the shield.  FYI, the

proximity sensor is a little difficult to locate, but you can find it by tilting the phone at the correct angle under a

lamp.  You'll see it located just above the "N" in the NOKIA logo at the top left of the face of the phone.  It shows up as

a black(er) oval beneath the glass.  Note that the FFC is just to the left of it.

THE ATTEMPTS AT FIXING:  Seeing the dust in the FFC, I figured dust HAD to be playing a role in the MUCH more aggravating

proximity sensor issue.  So, just to get it out of the way, I tried first power cycling the phone.  No go.  Then I read

where you could try to blow out the dust by puckering your lips and forming a jet stream of air. Seemed to work a little,

but really a no go.  Then I thought geeez, it's gotta be getting IN there some place... ah!  the audio port hole.  So I

went and bought a can of compressed air, and put the straw down in the hole a bit, blew from all different angles.  No go..

NOTHING... NA DA.  Getting frustrated (after about 10 days of frustration), I then checked for firmware/software updates

from Nokia (thinking it was a sensitivity issue).  None (by the way, all of the above were done BEFORE AND AFTER the

"Portico" update released on/about Dec 20, and the update itself had no effect on this issue).

THE ONE FIX THAT IS WORKING:  So today, after reading more in a different discussion about the dust on the FFC, I aimed my

can of compressed air at a DIFFERENT SPOT.  That spot is at the seam where the glass meets the case just above the FFC and

the NOKIA logo.  I will tell you that MY seam looks very tight, very clean and without flaw.  But, it obviously isn't. 

Anyway, I aimed the air can's straw right at the seam, and sprayed the air (be careful not to spray the liquid of the

compressed air in there (test spray it first, holding the can upright)).  What do you know - the FFC was cleared of dust! 

I then adjusted my aim to above the proximity sensor, and sprayed more air.  Then, tried to make a call.  WHAMMO!!!  It

worked!!!

So, after struggling for about two weeks with this, and reading every single one of the previous 114 entries here (often

more than once), my conclusion is that this is either a design or manufacturing flaw.  I do NOT believe it is an issue with

the "sensitivity" of the proximity sensor (as suggested by some), but is all due to dust getting into the seam that

probably has not been sealed incorrectly. 

Thanks to all of the previous posts for the insight.  I know much of this is repetitive info, but felt like many of the

previous posts didn't address it fully.  Hope this has, and hope it helps.  For those having random phone power cycling,

and power/battery issues, I have not (yet) experienced this.  I did have one day where my battery drained faster than

normal, but a power cycle seems to have cleared that up, and I had been monkeying with things on the phone that day as

well.

Two questions remain:  1) Is this a problem with EVERY phone, or a certain batch?  2)  How should/will Nokia go about

fixing this permanently?  Carrying this phone in one pocket, and a can of air in the other is NOT a solution!

Lastly, I'll say this.  The issues/frustration with the dust issue would, hands down, normally be a deal breaker for me. 

But I am ABSOLUTELY LOVING this phone!!  Yes, it is a little big, compared to the original Samsung Focus that I had (and

loved) as my first WP phone.  But, bigger also means better in a lot of ways on this phone.  Also LOVE Windows Phone 8!! 

Kudos to Nokia and Microsoft!!  Now, NOKIA!  Let's fix this dust issue PLEASE!

Moderator's Notes: This post was edited as the email address has to be removed.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
incidor

remove screen protector that covers proximity detector and no problem.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
sjrogalinski

OmyGosh!!! Same problem... and your fix worked!! I'm thrilled it's working right again, but the problem and why it happens really stinks.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
pbowles3

incidor - I dont have a screen protector.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
sscoutman

I have had the same problem with the screen going black when making calls, NL 920, black, bought in Sweden. The different behavior descriptions in the thread I agree with. And just a small of blowing, with my lips tight to the top of the glass directly solved the problem.

Please use plain text.