Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Proximity sensor doesn't switch off - Lumia 92...

Registered Member
Y3kC4M

Re: Proximity sensor doesn't switch off - Lumia 920

I'm having the same issue! Its extremely irritating.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Infamy79

Was hoping that the Portico update would fix this issue for me but no luck. Still the same problem.
No screen protector, blowing doesn't fix it, pressure on the top left corner doesn't fix it, there is no dust behind the screen I can see. I fixed it once by restarting in a dark room but it came back and now that fix doesn't work anymore.

I have seen a video on Youtube that has someone tapping the top edge of the screen with oily fingers then wiping it off with a cloth and that half works for me, so it just seems like its calibrated to be WAY too sensitive.

Really don't want to have to take the phone back as its not like Apple where they just hand you a replacement phone.
It really does feel like a software problem to me

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
fixurwagon

I took my 2nd Lumia back today because of this issue. ATT Device center exchanged for another. The rep fully expects that I will be returning this one also and advised that ATT customer service will work with me to return and get a different brand. My WP experience has not been good, so may become an iPhone clone.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I just got my phone back from repair. It seems that they cleaned the front camera and the proximity sensor works properly now. Hope it stays that way. I can't really tell what they've done to fix it though. The whole process took only a week.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
LittleB69

Recent update did not fix the problem. I would wish that Nokia somehow would inform if they are working on a fix or if I should return it for repair. Read some that had it repaired with no luck... Really like the phone and Windows 8.. but this is getting annoying and starting to ruin my experience with an otherwise great phone.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
kevinwehnau

I tweeted to @nokia and @windowsphone with no response.... has anyone else tried to reach out to them in any other way and has there been any response?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
durgy

Yeah I've tweeted to them @nokia too but no response.

Maybe we should all start a new hashtag #LumiaProblems and tweet @nokia until someone takes notice... ?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
colinbowern

This is getting ridiculous.  I just blogged about how broken the whole support model is with this phone.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
kevinwehnau

Great post, I retweeted your tweets and hopefully others will too!

Please use plain text.
jasmr

I have experienced this problem too. Having read through all the above comments I tried various suggested fixes and the blowing seemed to work although I did clean the screen at the same time. The problem has not recurred yet.

For those concerned about contacting Nokia there is a settings option (on the Australian version at least) that is listed as "feedback to Nokia". This gives the option to rate the phone and also to make a comment. I suspect that if enough folks do that then Nokia may take some notice.

As an electronics technician used to diagnosing difficult technical problems it seems to me that this is most likely a software problem. If anything the proximity sensor (PS) is too sensitive. From the comment that stated that the automatic brightness setting impacts on the problem it suggests that there might be an automatic gain control operating to set the sensitivity of the PS. If the problem returns for me that is the first thing I will test.

I do agree that Nokia must take responsibility for the problem and at least appear to be doing something about it.

In all other respects this IMHO is a superior product. Much better in many respects than the android phone I had previously. As I am not willing to pay the Apple tax it might be an HTC or some other Win phone next time. Having my contacts, calendar, docs and spreadsheets on all platforms that works all the time has me hooked on Winphone 8.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
PhotoAtomic

done! it is quite easy and it works great! thank you!!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
hoy5

Slaador.... I laughed when I read that you blew in it and it sorted the sensor. I done it anyway and its been working all day!

I have what looks like dust under my from camera lens. So I think that there must be a break in the seal. This is my second lumia920 and I returned the first one for the same issue.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
StanIp

I (from Singapore) had exactly the same problem with my 920 like everybody here...

I sent my phone back to Nokia service center today. The guy there told me they had received a new firmware and they installed it for me within 4 hours. The phone is working...at least for now. Will monitor and see if this is really the solution.

What I have now on my phone:

OS version: 8.0.10211.204

Firmware revision number: 1232.5951.1249.1023

Radio software version: 1.0.202075.3

Please use plain text.
icastel

Even if the issue is related to dust, I have to say the answer is not satisfactory.  I'd had my phone for only 3 days.  Usage was light, no screen protector or case, carried it in my jeans pocket, etc.  I carried my motorola atrix in the same pocket for almost two years and this issue never occurred.

I got the phone on a Saturday, got my first call and had the exact same issue!

I finally found these threads on the Nokia site and we're told to just blow on the phone? Really? I tried it last night, the screen came back on for 10 seconds or so, I was trying to look up something on Google, then screen died again. I was wearing earphones and it still kept doing it.  Finally after putting it on speakerphone I was able to get it to stay turned on.  I also tried the wiping of the screen method, same results. 

This is really disappointing.  I wish Nokia would answer these posts.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Same problem. I had it sent in to Nokia care once and the report stated they did a software update to fix it. It then worked for a while until today. The only thing I can trace it back to is that in both cases I was making a phone call over my headphones. Yesterday I received my purity pros so I thought it would be a good idea to test the call quality. Well, needless to say I shouldn't have done it. Now I'm stuck with the same issue as before and I really don't want to go through that whole process again. As much as I love this phone I'm seriously considering ditching it for the new xperia z as I'm simply tired of not being able to use such a basic function as HANGING UP ON A PHONE CALL!!!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
eepyaich

[ Edited ]

StanIp wrote:

I (from Singapore) had exactly the same problem with my 920 like everybody here...

I sent my phone back to Nokia service center today. The guy there told me they had received a new firmware and they installed it for me within 4 hours. The phone is working...at least for now. Will monitor and see if this is really the solution.

That does seem to be a slightly newer version of firmware to me - I'm on 1232....1017.
Did the guy in the service centre have any evidence to suggest the firmware was supposed to fix the proximity sensor issue? Is the "fix" still working?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
kenreilly

My 920 works fine until I put a screen protector on it, then I have the same problem as everyone else. I have tried 2 different protectors and had to throw both of them away.

I am tempted to try Crystalusion liquid glass as a protector, but as it is non-removable, if it stops the PS working, I'll be really screwed.

Has anyone else tried this stuff?

I would also like to say how disappointed I am that Nokia have not commented on this thread about this issue. It's obviously extremely important and they obviously just don't care. Their customer service department (if there is one) are impossible to contact.

This will definitely be my last Nokia phone.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
StanIp

The guy mentioned that this was the latest they received quite recently. He mentioned about 3 common causes to this problem. (i) hardware failure. (ii) OS problem and (iii) firmware issue.

As I have already updated to the latest OS, the next option is to update the firmware (4 hours effort by them) as I have no backup phone. If the firmware still fails, I still can send my phone back for them to check the hardware(4-5 days down time which I want to avoid).

My 920 so far has been working fine for last 24 hours without requiring me to clean/blow the sensor area of the phone... Keeping my fingers crossed. Will update this forum in 2-3 days to let everybody know how this goes.

StanIp wrote:

That does seem to be a slightly newer version of firmware to me - I'm on 1232....1017. Did the guy in the service centre have any evidence to suggest the firmware was supposed to fix the proximity sensor issue? Is the "fix" still working?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Delbert2000

Thanks bud, you fixed it for me.

I had a screen protector on my phone and a little dust had gathered along the top edge of there as the protector did not seal properly.  Whipped it off and it works a treat again....I was about to ring my network up feeling rather peeved...but you saved some call centre operator there an earache....lol

Please use plain text.
Contributor
m0213

Same problem here.  No screen protector.

I have noticed odd behavior that may be related; perhaps this will help Nokia diagnose the issue.

When the issue occurs, some combination of blowing on it, rebooting it, cleaning the proximity sensor, swearing lustily at it, and fiddling around with brightness settings will typically fix it for a few days.

When this issue is *not* occuring and I can use the phone normally, I have seen this happen:

In low-light conditions (specifically, standing on the back patio at night with one low-wattage bulb nearby, but not directly overhead), I will unlock the phone and the display brightness will oscillate--it will dim, and brighten, dim, brighten in maybe a four-second cycle. The ambient light is constant--no intermittent shadowing from tree branches or anything.  Locking and unlocking it will get it to stay at a consistent brightness level; interacting with the touchscreen will not. Every time this has happened, the next call I make or receive will have the black-screen problem.

Has anyone else seen this, and if so does it appear to have an effect on the black-screen-during-calls problem?

Model: Nokia Lumia 920

Firmware revision number: 1232.5951.1249.0001

Hardware revision number: 1.0.0.0 (last time I buy anything with *that* revision number, I can tell you that!)

Chip SOC version: 8960

Please use plain text.