Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Proximity sensor doesn't switch off - Lumia 92...

Contributor
m0213

Re: Proximity sensor doesn't switch off - Lumia 920

I should add: this is with automatic brightness turned on.

Please use plain text.
keppn

After having the same problem as all the other users populating this thread, I went to a Nokia Care Point. The repair took around 10 days (to my great annoyance, no temporary replacement was provided). After that, I got my L920 back, with a fresh portico-update installed.

The original proximity-blackout returned after a week, and with the portico-update came a free brightness-flickering mode, always-on and really annoying.

Really lame. >:\

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
whrover

already tried to blow mic and swip the promity sensor, still doesn';t work.

this issue is really annoying

as this phone is not purchased locally, so local Nokia Care charged almost half of the price of the phone.

Really disappointed with Nokia quality and poor support services...

seems only option is trade in with half price and get another cheaper model 620... 

If there is another solution without open the cover, pls let me know.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
5thduke

just pulled the trigger and bought a 920.the phone is not even 12 hours old and its doing this grrr taking it back tomorrow pitty i love the phone when its working.ps do nokia staff post in here?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Weslington

I received my phone back from Nokia care last week after experiencing exactly the same issues outlined by others on this thread and it was clean and completely free of dust with the proximity sensor working again. I restored my phone from backup, set everything up again and within 2 days had more dust under the front camera!

I have now sent it off again for a proper fix but am not very hopeful after hearing about other people experiences with Nokia Care. I'll report back when it is 'fixed'.

Personally, I think the dust issue is caused by the thin slits above the camera and proximity sensors where the glass meets the plastic body of the phone and until this is sealed we will continue to get dust build up. Does anyone know if there are any Lumia 920s out there WITHOUT these slits and that do not get dust under the sensors?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
5thduke

just found out my screen protector was covering the sensor. face palm.
fone had a faulty lock button though and they gave me a replacement see how it goes.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
CReamflourish

This was an issue for me after I fitted a screen protector.

I fixed by cutting off the small portion of screen protector which ran over the NOKIA logo.

Please use plain text.
Tonyc1

I have the same problem too. Dust in front facing camera and proximity sensor issues. Took it to Telstra AU and they have sent to Nokia repair center. It's been a week now which has been most inconvenient having to use an old phone with no data connection. Losing clients and business. Unreal! I hope it returns soon and fixed or replaced. I will advise on the report once I get it. Not Happy!!

Please use plain text.
anilgawas

The same problem can any buddy solve this problem
Please use plain text.
anilgawas

Hi all
I solve my proximity switch problem.
remove my screen guard which is slightly cover my proximity switch.
Please use plain text.
Jim1926

Hi,

Same problems here... Just a huge joke about this "hardware failure". Never had problems with my Lumia 800 and my girlfriends just bought a Lumia 820 and no problems...

Nokia how can you do an error like this with your FLAGSHIP ????

Please use plain text.
Contributor
StanIp

Hi, just want to report back... This new firmware 1023 seems to be working for me... at least for the last 10 days keeping my fingers crossed. I have been using my 920 in Singapore and travelling overeseas and hardly blowed/wiped the 920 (sensor area) unlike before the fix.

Will drop a note in 10 more days to let everybody know whether this fix stays. I do not understand why Nokia does not make this new firmware downloadable to allow all 920 users to refresh and use the phone as a phone.

I (from Singapore) had exactly the same problem with my 920 like everybody here...

I sent my phone back to Nokia service center today. The guy there told me they had received a new firmware and they installed it for me within 4 hours. The phone is working...at least for now. Will monitor and see if this is really the solution.

What I have now on my phone:

OS version: 8.0.10211.204

Firmware revision number: 1232.5951.1249.1023

Radio software version: 1.0.202075.3"

Please use plain text.
htcjirka

It is a enaugh to have Portico update.The last figures(xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.1023) are just the region/operator.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
LittleB69

Are you sure about the region/operator? Think I have seen people reffering to this update from different regions? Anyways i have the Portico update and my problem is getting worse and worse.. now I can only make my screen blink if i put it underneath a lamp.. I really love the phone and OS.. guess I have to send it off for repairs :-(

Please use plain text.
htcjirka

Yes,I´m 100% sure.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
czdebel

The issue is twofold: a proximity sensor tuned to be too sensitive and plastics that are not completely sealed. The former can (maybe has already been) be fixed with a software patch. The latter is a hardware engineering issue introduced either in the original design, or via the ODM/contract manufacturer.

This model explains both the 'I had to cut my screen protector and it works' issue, as well as the 'i put my phone in my pocket and lint/dust intrude via the 1/8th in. jack or speaker holes and I can use compressed air to fix the issue for a while' issue. This part of the problem will hopefully be improved in newer hardware versions, and certainly by the time the next hero phone is released to manufacturing.

I suspect that a recent software update tuned the over-ambitious proximity sensor down a little; I notice the phone frequently does not timeout the display when the proximity sensor is covered. It appears that the proximity sensor differentiates between incoming and outgoing calls, since the behavior changes depending on which is the case.

That's about all that can be done at this point. I'm still a fan. iOS is tired and old. Android feels like perpetual beta. BlackBerry...we'll see. Windows Phone is out in front, IMO.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
StanIp

Mine is Singapore/Singtel just in case if the firmware number is trully just region/operator reference.. but am not so sure as I saw other Singapore/Singtel users complaining about exactly the same problem with their 920 on some
Singapore forums. And by the way, before I sent for repair, it was 0002... :confused:

Please use plain text.
htcjirka

The last four figures mean all the time the region/operator.I work in a service center(Nokia CellNet,Czech Republic)

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mkippen

After weeks of dealing with this issue and trying everything suggested as follows... I have no case, no screen protector, and i keep my phone clean. Its now basically unusable... i cant hang up on calls, i cant use the screen while in calls or voicemails, its so frustrating.

1. Blowing on area above FF camera / proximity sensor (above nokia logo)

2. Blowing compressed air into cracks in same locations

3. Cleaning / polishing screen by sensor

I decided today that i'm going to send the phone in for repair, it just really sucks that i'm going to be out of the phone for several weeks and Nokia is not seeing this as a flaw in the hardware that needs to be fixed. It would be so much better if Nokia would send a new phone before requiring the old one to be sent back, like ATT does for insurance. This problem seems widespread as hundreds have replied here... I'm not happy that i need to send my phone in for repair and i will be without it for weeks....

Based on other replies, i'm also not confident that i'm going to get the phone back repaired at all, or even better than it was before - others have sent their phones in only to have it still having the same problem after a few weeks of getting it back. Whats the deal with this?  As a early adopter, i hope i dont have to regret buying this phone over the HTC or something else.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mkippen

Also I should mention that I already have all updates applied. Its clear to me that the Portico update did not fix this issue.
Please use plain text.