Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Proximity sensor doesn't switch off - Lumia 92...

Pickle6

Re: Proximity sensor doesn't switch off - Lumia 920

Had the same issue as all on this thread.

If you look at the area where the speaker is for listening with your ear, it appears to allow dust to collect there and also migrate over to what I believe is the camera but might also be the proximity sensor.  I blew the dust by injecting some pressureized air in the speaker area and it cleared the insdie surface of the clear glass over the camera/sensor.  Seemed to work fine now.  In my case it took about 3-4 months to have this issue.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
MikeZA

This worked for me too. I found cleaning out the space between the glass and banding before blowing helped (I ran the corner of a sheet of paper along the groove).

Pretty disappointing from Nokia though...
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Grayfox1574

Hi guys,

I noticed this problem happening at the beginning when i first bought the phone sometimes, but it became consistant with my last update of the phone, plus i noticed that there is some moist gathering inside the front camera housing so i'm guessing that the housing of the proximity sensor is not sealed off well and within time (seals are usually wear & tear) this problem stays unless you go ahead and replace the seal again.

an update is not going to fix this problem as this is a hardware flaw, i hope nokia can at least provide an option in the phone's settings where you can turn off the proximity sensor.

regards,

Please use plain text.
Athloni2

[ Edited ]

The new software update seems to solve the problem. Proximity sensor is less sensetive now.

Moderator's Note: This post was edited to remove the latter part of the message. The advice given by the OP is not advisable as this may damage the device. It's best to wait until you receive the update notification on your device.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
recycle

Please recycle this ... Not a normal phone call.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ViktorLund

I've got the same problem during calls and I can see the dust under the glass at the front camera. Blowing doesn't work for me.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ViktorLund

I ran the corner of a sheet of paper along the groove. It worked for two seconds and then the screen got black again...
Please use plain text.
Professor
greycounciller

As noted above, I got the new firmware update installed at a care centre and can confirm it does cure the proximity and light sensor issue's.
So it was definitely software related.
Jurassic Park, Sam Neill to Dickie Attenborough " Mr. Hammond, the phones are working !"
N8-00 Tesco UK 059C951, Lumia 920
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Tonyman262

Re: Proximity sensor for - Lumia 920 Bad News --But there's Good news

Like many of the Nokia-Microsoft customers here with the Black Screen during Calls problem; I had the same exact problem.

While the bad news is there is really no USER FIX AT ALL.

But the good news is if your phone is less than 1 year old take or send it to an ATT Device Support Center

assuming you bought the phone from ATT.

Within 15 minutes I was logging into my Microsoft account with a brand new phone (not a refurb).

Evidently this is not an unheard of problem at ATT. The lady at the counter looked at my driver's license to confirm the name on the account, did about 2 minutes worth of tests including making sure my phone had not been immersed in any fluids and that was it.

It took longer to set up the new phone then it did for ATT to decide the old phone was toast.

Great job! Nokia & ATT. I really like the Lumia 920, I just hope the new phone doesn't have the same problem.

Bottom Line: just go into any ATT store and they can tell you where the nearest Device Support Center is located.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
IntensityTX

Same issue as everyone else. Strangely it just started happening with the most recent software update.  I was not able to see any dust or anything.  I disabled the Touch / Display settings specific to the Lumia, did a soft reset, and a hard reset.  Nothing worked.  I just spoke with AT&T and processed a warranty / replacement.  I've had my Cyan Lumia 920 for about four months.  My worry is that even with the replacement device, I till happen again in four months. 

Please use plain text.

Hello everyone,

Iv'e had the same problem for the past week.

Only just got around and found time to read this discussion.

So, all Iv'e done is to blow into the ear piece and hey presto it works!

Irritating problem for such an easy solution.

Please use plain text.
HSMjkk

Hi,

I've had this annoying problem for a some time now, until I found the solution - canned air.

I just bought a can of compressed air, and cleaned the upper side of the phone with it. I cleaned the earpiece,  headphone jack, and the area around the Nokia logo with some strong bursts of air. I also wiped the screen with a microfiber cloth. These things helped, and the phone is working properly again. Also the front-facing camera lens got clean again :smileyhappy:

Hopefully this will help you too!

There also seems to be an update coming that may solve this issue:

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_announce_software_updates_for_nokia_lumia_920_820_and_620-news-5711.ph...

"The update also enhances the display stability during a call along with the improved automatic display brightness adjustment."

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
quakeguts

Confirmed! The 1308 firmware fixes this problem. Don't take apart your phone, or blow the dust even further into your phone!

Skip
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
erntsnst

had the same problem. ran a piece of paper along the seam. turned out there was a little flake of something lodged in there. once i got that out, the proximity sensor seems to be working fine again. still waiting for my update though.
Please use plain text.
mjensen888

Just updated my phone with the new 1308 firmware update. The proximity sensor is DEFINITELY changed by this update. It's not nearly as sensitive as it was before. In fact I can hold my hand in front of the sensor while in a call and the screen won't black out until I'm within less than an inch of it! This is good news for all of us who were suffering from the overly sensitive proximity sensor!! Hopefully the "black screen of death" during a call is a thing of the past.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
bryantw

Firmware update fixed the proximity sensor. VERY RELIEVED! Hope they keep it up!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
angel050911

Try to remove the screen protector. It worked on my husbands phone. Before that we had tried all the good suggestions on this forum with no luck.
The screen protector must not cover the little round lens at the top of the phone at all.
Hope it works for others.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
VenkatB

I had same issue earlier to my German Vodafone unlocked Nokia Lumia 920.I update firmware via "Nokia Software Update for Retail". Latest version 1232.5957.1308.0007  and it works fine now....

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mrventura87

I got my Lumia 920 back from Nokia care for 4 weeks ago. I now got a LOT of dust in my front facing camera, but the phone works perfect! Can't believe it. I'm on Portico btw
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
durgy

I'm in Toronto, Canada.

I still haven't received the update everyone's talking about. Anyway to force the update? I've tried through 'phone update' in settings but it says its already up to date but it's not the version everyone here is upgraded to.

Please use plain text.