Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Proximity sensor doesn't switch off - Lumia 920

Counsellor
holzlondon
Accepted Solution

Proximity sensor doesn't switch off - Lumia 920

Hi, I hope someone can help me here.  I've got a huge problem with my brand new Lumia 920. 

When I make a phone call, or accept a phone call, it seems my phone locks the screen completely, as if I had it next to my ear (i.e. the proximity sensor), even when I don't have it anywhere near my head.

I cannot end a phone call, or switch to loudspeaker etc. - nothing.  It is highly annoying, and I have no idea how to fix it.

I have done a soft reset, but to no avail.

I had a bluetooth headset connected earlier in the day, and then disconnected it.  This phenomenon did not occur prior to using the bluetooth headset.  No idea if this can have anything to do with it, but it seems a strange coincidence.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Re: Proximity sensor doesn't switch off - Lumia 920

@holzlondon

Do you notice any change in beaviour if you tap the Power/Lock key as this sometimes brings screen back momentarily upon mine?

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Is there anything covering the proximity sensor like a screen protector or a case? If so remove it and the problem should be solved.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
holzlondon

[ Edited ]

aspergerguy wrote:

@holzlondon

Do you notice any change in beaviour if you tap the Power/Lock key as this sometimes brings screen back momentarily upon mine?

@aspergerguy.  good point.  I thought I had posted that here, but forgot.  When I press the power/lock button twice, I get a very very short glimpse of the on-call screen.  If I'm really quick I can hit the end call or speaker button.

If I hit the speaker button, and the call is on loudspeaker, I have full control again.

Interestingly enough, I tried it with bluetooth again, and the screen locks as if I'm using the phone noramlly

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
holzlondon

psychomania wrote:
Is there anything covering the proximity sensor like a screen protector or a case? If so remove it and the problem should be solved.

@psychomania

I am using the phone completely without any case, cover, protector or similar. 

I've also tried to see if there is anything in the ear-speaker space, but can't get anything more than a few specs of dust.  The phone is "naked", if you will

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
holzlondon

Just an update.  I've just made 2 phone calls where the screen stayed on momentarily, only to flicker away again after maybe 4 or 5 seconds. 

So to me, it really seems to be a glitch somewhere, maybe in the connections?

Please use plain text.
thelovro

I have exactly the same problem! I am kind of happy, I am not the only one with this problem!

First thing I did was factory resetting the phone. Of course this wasn't the issue.

Then I thought that my proximity sensor isn't working at all - but then I started testing it. I went into a room without a light and then went back to a room with a light and display automatically adjusted the brightness. So the sensor works.

Then I stared a phone call (screen become black) and then I put the phone just few centimeters from a light bulb and the display adjusted brightness and I could see all normally (like it should work if you don't put it near you head). Can you try this and tell me if you get same result?

I would conclude that sensor should be somehow trimmed, but I sure don't know how to do that.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Max__Power

Having the exact same problem with one of the two 920's we bought.  I hope there is a firmware fix ASAP or we will have to try to get a replacement!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
holzlondon

This may seem strange now, but i think the problem has either solved itself or i was just being overly paranoid. I did another 3-button soft reset, tried again. It seems now as though the sensor is just very, very sensitive. When i come within 20 cm of the top half of the phone, the screen goes black. Even if it's lying on a table and there's a book lying above it, the screen goes black. I think it's just really sensitive, and you need to be aware of it. Hope this helps!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Max__Power

Well, since we have two of these in our household I can tell they behave very differently.  If it were just a sensitivy problem it should wake up when you move everything away from it but that does not happen.

I have not tried any resets yet though, what did you mean by three button soft reset?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
marrat

I have the same problem with mine. A few days ago it wasn't there, but now my screen also stays black as soon as I enter a call.

Three button soft-reset didn't help anything for me, but it's good to know that it's a widespread problem. Hopefully Nokia will deliver an updte quickly on that issue.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

thelovro wrote:

Then I thought that my proximity sensor isn't working at all - but then I started testing it. I went into a room without a light and then went back to a room with a light and display automatically adjusted the brightness. So the sensor works.

The proximity sensor doesn't control the screens brightness. That job is given to the ambient light sensor. The proximity sensors job is to lock the screen during a call when the phone is placed to the ear, which prevents accidental screen touch.

Ray.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Max__Power wrote:

I have not tried any resets yet though, what did you mean by three button soft reset?

To carry out the three button reset first switch off the phone. Now press and hold the volume down + power key + camera button simultaneously. Keep all three pressed until the phone vibrates then release the power button only. Keep the other two pressed for approximately five seconds then release.

To be honest though, this reset method is mainly used to wake up a phone that refuses to power on so I doubt it will have an effect on the proximity sensor issue, but your welcome to give it a try.

Ray.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
marrat

Tried several things now, including a hard reset, nothing helped as suspected. Very strange, as I have the phone for a week now and the issue only started today.

But since nothing seems to help against it, I'm going to the store where I bought it today and ask for a replacement...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Max__Power

Wow, all I did was reboot the phone with the power button and that appears to have fixed it for now!

And thanks for clarifying the 3 button reset, I actually had to do that this morning on my other 920 as it locked up in the middle of the night and wouldn't shut down.  All I did was hold down the vol down+power+camera until it rebooted, not clear what holding down the other two longer does differently.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
marrat

You lucky guy :smileysad: With this behaviour, the phone is unusable for me. In a Skype call it's even worse, as you don't see the Skype call controls flashing when pressing the power button, only the lock screen...
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Slaador

[ Edited ]

Chiming in to report this same problem with my 920, started about 3 days in.

Update: seems like the proximity sensor is permanently stuck as I can't even activate my camera by pushing on the camera button with 'prevent accidental camera launch' on. 

Update 2: OK, seems like turning off the 'prevent accidental camera launch', cleaning the screen and turning 'prevent accidental camera launch' on again (and maybe a reboot, I'm not sure) solves the problem of waking camera up, BUT not the darkness on phone calls. So the good news is, proximity sensor is not broken. Bad news is, the software is broken...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Slaador

[ Edited ]

Another update:
Hard reset doesn't fix the dark screen during calls.

Inability to access camera from lockscreen with 'prevent accidental camera launch' is fixed by turning this feature off, going to lockscreen, then turning it on again. And MAYBE also wiping your screen, esp. near the sensor (top right, near the front camera).

So after all this experimentation, it looks like the proximity sensor is, indeed, far too sensitive. But functional, nonetheless. I hope the update will resolve this issue.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Quethrosar

ditto on the whole thread

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Slaador

[ Edited ]

FIXED!!!

Ok guys, if you're experiencing this problem, try just blowing some dust away from along the top edge of the screen. Yep, just pucker your lips and blow some air along the top edge. Fixed my Lumia 920 a treat.

Still, while hilarious, this is awfully bad performance for such a (supposedly) solidly-built phone. Hopefully there really is a patch soon...

Please use plain text.