Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Purity In-ear (WH-920) controls don't work when Lu...

Advisor
redgrenadine

Purity In-ear (WH-920) controls don't work when Lumia 900 is locked

This appears to be an issue in other Windows Phone forums.  The play/pause/skip controls on the WH-920 headphones don't work or work very sporadically when my Lumia 900 is locked and the screen off.  When locked with screen on or unlocked with screen on the controls work completely fine.

This basically makes the controls on this $100 headphone set useless if my Lumia is in my pocket

I ordered a replacement off of Amazon.  Same issue, which leads me to believe this is a phone problem.

As well, the L-shape extender makes it so that no commands can be sent at all (locked or unlocked) and also the audio is messed up (very soft) unless the middle button on the earphones is held down.  This is for both sets of L-shape extenders and both sets of headphones. 

Can we receive any comment from Nokia on this?  This is Nokia's flagship phone paired with its $100 flagship headphones

Please use plain text.
Advisor
robax

Re: Purity In-ear (WH-920) controls don't work when Lumia 900 is locked

I want to know about this too because I've been planning on buying these for my Lumia 800 and I'll be mad if they don't work properly.. because the only reason for buying the Nokia ones in the first place is so that it is guaranteed to work properly.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
shackdan

YEP...I've got the same headphones...(WH-920) with my Lumia 900 and the same issue.

NOKIE PLEASE fix this!.
My Samsung Focus doesn't have this issue.

Kind of defeats the purpose of having the controls on the headset.
THANKS!!!
D
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
pwdrskr

I have the same problem.  I am on my second pair of the headphones and to say these were made for the windows phone and the Lumia 900 is just plain mis-information.  None of the controls work.  What's weird is that the first time I used them they worked perfectly.  24 hours later completely useless.  Beyond frustrated.  this is the kind of thing that will drive me right back to iPhone!!!

Fix this Nokia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi all,

Thank you for your feedback on your experience with the Lumia 900, it is appreciated and being passed on. I will make sure to keep you informed here on any news that I can share with you on these.

Thanks for your support and patience!

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
khaus87

[ Edited ]

I have already mentioned this in another thread related to this issue, but thought I should mention it here as well...

Discovered tonight that this issue seems to be exclusive to the Zune client on my phone, is this the case for everyone else as well? I have Spotify too and found that the controls on the Purity worked perfectly while streaming music from there. Pause/play, two clicks to skip forward, and three clicks to skip back a track all worked great. With Zune, the controls work fine while the screen is active, but once it the phone is locked the controls become essentially useless.

Unfortunately I think I'm going to cancel my Zune Pass subscription as a result of this which is a shame because I'm a huge fan of how it works and the way it looks!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
redgrenadine

Very interesting.  I did not know that.  I really enjoy my Zune pass so I would hope the Nokia team can get this solved

Please use plain text.
Contributor
AndreiL

It is definitely phone problem, I tried my headphones from Samsung Focus and also another pair of 3rd party headphones.... Both worked just fine with several Samsung Focuses before, but with Nokia it's really sporadically :smileysad:

I really hope there will be a software fix for the issue and soon, because I listen to a lot of audiobooks and not having controls working just plainly kills me :smileysad:

Nokia please tell me you are looking into this.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
akirilov

Having the same problem here. Works perfectly when the screen is on, but when it is turned off the controls are ignored over half the time.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
shackdan

Nice find!
I've tested/validated that the controls work with Plex too!
Thanks for the tip.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
JWelhouse

Mine is havign the same issue.  Also, I tried 3 Lumia 900s at the AT&T store and no volume control worked with screen off using Zune.  I did not try other players but will try SatRad player and Slacker tonight.

Walked over to the demo Titan II and this worked fine the first try...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
redgrenadine

Just found this out: controls also don't work when in an app.  At least the RSS app and the game (colorflow) that I was both in.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
redgrenadine

[ Edited ]

After update, the inline controls still don't work with the phone screen off

=/  I am a sad customer holding a pair of $100 head phones with worthless inline controls

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
aaccee

I found also that the centre button when pressed using method outlined by support document for Monster/Nokia Purity WH-920, i.e one press, start/stop track in either Nokia Music/Zune Players, did not work.
But by checking functionality of wired headset again with music players. If the button is pressed down including the centre button and plus & minus volume plate, you should feel a noticable click
Mobiles sure aint what they used to be.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
aaccee

I posted last post, before completing
If you use the button presses, it, plays/stops tracks 1 press and forward/rewind tracks, 2 presses quickly, 3 presses quickly
Mobiles sure aint what they used to be.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
redgrenadine

The AT&T Tango update STILL doesn't fix this issue.

I mean, come on guys!  Nokia's own headphone's inline controls DO NOT WORK with their flagship device. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
flybywire54

Nokia Drive

I purchased a Lumia 710 , 2 weeks ago . Everything works fine , except Nokia drive .  I upgraded my Windows 7.5 on Zune and loaded maps and voice on Nokia drive . But while the gps finds my position when i enter into nokia drive quite accurately , when i enter a destination and drive my car  , the blue arrow  stays there , my position dont refresh on the map and  no voice . No speed indication either. As if i was standing always at the same place .

Heard it is a hardware problem . anyone with same experience on Nokia drive  ? any fix ?

Please share

Please use plain text.
Himusic

I have a pair of Shure headphones with the music accessory cable as well as a Samsung pair of headphones from an old Focus.  What I have noticed is that in a quiet environment, the button works fine.  In a loud environment, the efficacy of the control button is spotty.  Perhaps there is a mic issue with the firmware?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jasperoliver

Nokia,

I purchased the Nokia Purity Stereo In-Ear Headphones almost a month ago now for my Nokia Lumia 900 and have been scouring the internet looking for a reasonable response from you regarding the lack of in-line controls when the phone is locked. And there is nothing. How can you brand a pair of headphones for your flagship WP phone and not have them work ?!? There are several threads on this issue dating back to launch and still no word from you on a fix. What a disgrace.

As a former loyal iPhone user making the leap of faith to a WP phone because of its potential, I am greatly discouraged. Say what you want about Apple's ingenuity w/ their latest phone but this would not happen with the Cupertino company.

I am returning these headphones while I have a few days remaining to do so, and will be counting the days before I am eligible for a phone upgrade. I may stay with WP, but will be hard pressed to not break ties with you.

Regards,

Jasper

Please use plain text.
Advisor
AS147

Hi, I am very interested in your comment that the Nokia Purity WH-920 in ear headphones have skip and previous music track selection as the documentation clearly does not state this is available. It states pause, play, volume and accept/make calls.

Can you confirm or provide some user documentation link that proves this is the case. I have been looking for a set of headphones that has skip and previous track selection for my Lumia 800 for quite some time. If it means I use Nokia music instead of Zune due to the lack of remote control issues under Zune then so be it.

Please use plain text.