Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Random Shutdowns Lumia 820

TheCount

Random Shutdowns Lumia 820

For NO apparent reason the phone switches off.  Annoying and potentially income reducing.  The alarm doesn't sound, calls are missed (I run my businees from the phone).  The only way to restart is to remove the battery and wait an inordinate amount of time for it to reboot.

I notice quite a lot of these postings on different forums but NOTHING from Nokia to offer a solution.

The retailer I took it back to does not offer a "loner" and as the unit is more than 14 days old the only option is return to Nokia Care (some posts state a 3 week turnaround - too long if you are running a business).

I have tried turning everything off (except the phone) and it still happens.

It is completely random - no rhyme nor reason (that I can see).

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

[ Edited ]

Though it may or may not be the cause, it will be worth checking with another SIM.

Is your SIM cut from a standard SIM or ready Micro SIM ? If its was cut then improper cutting causes such issues.

Please use plain text.
TheCount

The SIM was used in my previous phone with no problems.  The data was transferred from my full sized SIM to the midget version when I changed phones (Lumia 710 first then Lumia 820).

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

What data was transferred from the full-size SIM to the micro-SIM ? You're not clear whether your micro-SIM was cropped from the old one or is a new one. Whether it worked in your other phone is not really relevant, cut-down SIMs are pretty temperamental.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mjmartin01

I have a Lumia 822. I sent my phone to Nokia last week. The turn around was 10 days.   I just got the phone back today around 2pm and just now at 7:48pm it randomly shut itself off. Obviously Nokia did not fix the problem. I will be contacting them on Monday demanding a replacement phone. This is unacceptable!!!

Please use plain text.
boris42

Aaargh.  My two-week old Lumia 820 has the same problem.  I go to it and it won't wake up.  Only solutions are battery pull or Volume down + Power for 15s.  And then it reboots with the time set to 05:47 in the morning on 1 Sep 2012 and won't pick up the right time from the network, so I also need to manually correct the date and time whenever this happens!  I have the latest firmware (1232.5951.1249.1003), the phone says no updates are available, and yet the phone doesn't work until you hard-reset it and correct the date.

Video of the problem here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqztNVnrSGA

Is this a hardware problem or a software issue?  Would someone from Nokia please respond?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
VampireLestat

[ Edited ]

I bought a Nokia Lumia 820 for myslef in the middle of February, and an HTC 8S for my girl. The 820 has had the random rebooting issues since day two. And two days ago, it rebooted on it's own, and then kept freezing as soon as it started up. Totally frustrated with this. Given the handset to Nokia Care here in Bangalore, and they have no clue what to do.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Avij

Also been experiencing this random shut down then restart.  phone defaults to airplane mode until I re-enter the SIM Pin.  It's happened too many times to count in the last 2 days.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
PankajH

I am facing the same damn issue.....**bleep** ? Why havn't nokia taken a look at it ?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
paulig

boris42 wrote:

Aaargh.  My two-week old Lumia 820 has the same problem.  I go to it and it won't wake up.  Only solutions are battery pull or Volume down + Power for 15s.  And then it reboots with the time set to 05:47 in the morning on 1 Sep 2012 and won't pick up the right time from the network, so I also need to manually correct the date and time whenever this happens!  I have the latest firmware (1232.5951.1249.1003), the phone says no updates are available, and yet the phone doesn't work until you hard-reset it and correct the date.

Video of the problem here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqztNVnrSGA

Is this a hardware problem or a software issue?  Would someone from Nokia please respond?

I have L820 with 1232.5951.1249.1002 for three months now and not a single reboot. Have you dropped your phone or stuck some clipped SIM card instead of a real micro-SIM inside? One option is to ask Nokia care to reflash your phone.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
neerajkaushik

I also facing same issue. I got my sim cut from micro sim cutter.
Please use plain text.
Community Manager
musica

Hi All,

As what  Mobile Overlord said, trying out another SIM card to isolate the issue is what you can do for those who had their SIM cards cut from a Standard one.

Kindly check if there's an update available for your device, too. Latest update is what's in here: http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Software-Updates/Update-released-for-Nokia-Lumia-920-820-and-620/m-p...

If the update is not yet available for your phone, wait patiently as the delivery is gradual.

If the phone got the latest update and the issue persists, it's best to have it assessed at a Nokia Care Point: http://www.nokia.com/global/support/locations/

Nokia Lumia 1020 - nothing comes close Nokia Asha 501 - super smart pocket power 

Follow us on Twitter Watch Nokia Support Videos

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
DannyMelbourne

, what is the reasoning behind your suggestion?

My phone shuts down only overnight, and not every night.  This happens on 2 different Lumia 820's I own.  I'm not sure how the SIM would play a role in this.

Has there been official acknowledgement from nokia/microsoft of this issue??

Please use plain text.