Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: lumia 520 broken screen

marktolly

i bought a lumia 520 from 02 on the 11/5/13 i had a proble for the first week i couldnt text so i phoned 02 about and the girl said i need to open phone and lean sim card to see if it works i went to open the phone how it shows in the instructions and the screen shattered on me. so i told the girl from 02 what happened and she said i need to go bback to the sotre so i did  and there telling me the phone is not covered for a broken screen can you help me?

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
emilygreen

Hi marktolly,

Thank you for posting and welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! :Cool:

We're sorry that you encountered this kind of issue. You can take your phone to a Nokia Care Point for assessment. You can click Nokia Support at the bottom of this page for further assistance.

If my post helped you, please don't forget to click on the "White Star" and if it resolved your issue click on "Accept as Solution" :smileywink:

Nokia Lumia 920 Nokia Asha 308 Nokia 808 PureView 
Please use plain text.
Advisor
oldun60

I had the same problem. Got a lumia 520 with vodafone yesterday and was given 2 sims because there was some delay in getting a sim with my old number from my old phone to register properly, so was given a temporary one and told to try the new one with my old number later. I took the back off as told and the screen broke in the process- had it less than a day! Of course vodafone shop manager refused to change it. How can something be designed so it breaks so easily?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
oldun60

By the way- did you pay with a dredit card? I am going to call my credit card and hopefully get it covered on insurance or try to stop payment on grounds of defective goods. Let them challenge me for their money then.
Please use plain text.
N73MEuser

I bought a Lumia 520 on 22.06.2013. The salesman opened it and inserted my simcard. In the evening I wanted to insert a different sim. I tried to remove the back cover with my nail while pressing on the back cover to bend it as per the directions in the user guide. It did not open. So I used a small flat metal strip and tried to prise it open but the screen developed several fine cracks. Later I got to know from the web that it broke because I had tried to prise it open by inserting the metal strip into the earpiece and tried to lift it. The touch screen became unresponsive and I could not even shut off the phone, except by removing the battery. Now I have got the hang of opening the back cover and it seems so easy. Maybe for a frequent user of different models of phones, opening the back cover of Lumia 520 is easy. But for a new user  this seems to be a common problem because the guy at Nokia Care center (one of 4 such centers in my city) informed me that 3  phones are lying at the center with the same problem - cracked touch screen digitizer by first time users. The part costs nearly 50 US dollars and the total replacement charges nearly 60 US dollars. As someone used to sturdy build quality of Nokia phones (my first 3310 lasted for years, N73 I have been carrying for nearly 5 years), I would suggest that Nokia should ship new phones with a label sealing the back cover and mentioning the instructions in a cautionary manner. It is the least they can do for a phone costing 200 dollars.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
pljaniszewski

Nokia Lumia 820 cracked screen(touch screen no longer works)

I received 2 Nokia Lumia 820 developers devices for developing apps for Microsoft. I lightly dropped one in a protective case and the screen completely shattered. I am no longer able to use the touch screen. Few weeks later I dropped another from a short distance. It partially hit carpet and barely hit hardwood. The crack is tiny but I cannot use the touch screen at all. I have seen many cracked phones that function like new. Is there some type of manufacturers warranty that covers it? I am disappointed with this device and hope that it can be replaced. Who do I need to contact?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
yasfer21

Re: Nokia Lumia 820 cracked screen(touch screen no longer works)

The warranty covers manufacturing defects only. You broke the phone, it is not a manufacturing defect. These should be covered by accidental damage warranty which unfortunately Nokia devices do not have. On Apple products, you have to purchase this warranty separately.

Seriously, why do you blame the company for something that you did on your own? The phone was not advertised as shatter/shock proof. Unless it has that certification, it will break regardless of hard or how high you drop it.

For the Lumia 520, use common sense. I have removed the back cover plenty of times, it never breaks unless you bend it like bending a chocolate bar.
Please use plain text.
sylviechen

Nokia won't admit that this is a design flaw for their lowest price phone. No wonder they lost market share. Shame on them. This cracked screen issue is the biggest problem for the 520. They should do a recall.
Please use plain text.
sylviechen

Re: Nokia Lumia 820 cracked screen(touch screen no longer works)

520 has a design flaw based on the back covering.

You can find many examples on the Web discussing this issue.

Removing the 520's back causes the screen glass to flex. 

Too many buyers have cracked screens by removing the cover.

If that happens so often  then it is a bad design.

So don't blame the customer -- blame the mechanical design team at Nokia assuming they still have jobs there.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
GROGANGIRL

I got a Nokia Lumia 520 via Vodafone 6 weeks ago.  The other night the screen froze completely and I couldn't do anything, even turn the phone off.  I looked online at suggestions and tried to reset the phone, but nothing happened.  So I then decided to take out the battery.  I followed the online instructions for removing the back, and the screen just shattered.  When I went into the Vodafone shop they didn't believe that the phone had crashed before the screen cracked and won't do a free repair.  On top of that, I have lost all my contact numbers because they couldn't retrieve them via bluetooth because the phone wasn't working. Apparently with these windows phones the contacts are saved to the phone, not the Sim, so I am now completely stressed out, have lost numbers that have been transferred from phone to phone for over 10 years and have a huge bill to pay.  I am not at all happy. The only reason I bought a Nokia was because I have had several others over the years which have been brilliant -this one is definitely not and I think Nokia should be compensating people if this is a common problem.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
ugura

GROGANGIRL wrote:

I got a Nokia Lumia 520 via Vodafone 6 weeks ago.  The other night the screen froze completely and I couldn't do anything, even turn the phone off.  I looked online at suggestions and tried to reset the phone, but nothing happened.  So I then decided to take out the battery.  I followed the online instructions for removing the back, and the screen just shattered.  When I went into the Vodafone shop they didn't believe that the phone had crashed before the screen cracked and won't do a free repair.  On top of that, I have lost all my contact numbers because they couldn't retrieve them via bluetooth because the phone wasn't working. Apparently with these windows phones the contacts are saved to the phone, not the Sim, so I am now completely stressed out, have lost numbers that have been transferred from phone to phone for over 10 years and have a huge bill to pay.  I am not at all happy. The only reason I bought a Nokia was because I have had several others over the years which have been brilliant -this one is definitely not and I think Nokia should be compensating people if this is a common problem.

Your phone contacts are saved to your windows live account, you can go to www.live.com, login with the account that u used on your phone, and export contacts to a file.

Also if you use the same live account on a windows phone, contacts will be restored to the phone

The silence will fall
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
lumiacrasher

i dropped my lumia 520, knee high the screen shattered and now geuss what i cant use it. it does switch on and only the touch screen doesnt work. how much and where can i buy a touch screen. i am from jhb south africa

Please use plain text.
Community Manager
tiny_chef

Hi lumiacrasher,

Welcome to the Nokia Support Discussions!

Please be advised that Nokia parts are not sold separately. Furthermore, the repair cost will depend on the result of the evaluation done by our authorized technicians. You can refer to this link to locate the nearest Nokia Care Point in your area:

http://www.nokia.com/global/support/locations/

Final Banner
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Benony_Classic

Your customers are laying a general complain about lumia520 all what u Nokia could say is the customers fault. I had the same problem this morning with the lumina 520 I just bought yesterday. I wonder why your so called engineers and designers could not just put that into consideration when designing this phone. Well as me, I will make I discourage any body buying this phone or any other Nokia product. Nokia! U've just disappointed your customers.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
davedew

5 days and broken screen,can safely say last nokia i will buy,not impressed at all,may contact local newspapers as this issue has to be made more public

Please use plain text.
fivetwenty

My partner had her 520 for a couple of weeks and dropped it 75cm onto hard tiles. Some phones would survive this, but not the nokia - the screen cracked. While dropping like this may arguably be abuse, I did almost exactly the same with my 520 as pljaniszewski, dropped it about 30cm onto carpet but it hit a wooden stool on the way. Cracked screen! I fitted SIMs to both phones without problem, but I'm an engineer used to working with similar products, whereas the average person is risking breaking the screen getting the back cover off because the design is so flimsy. I phoned the Australian Nokia service department (a frustrating procedure where the hard-to-understand operator repeatedly says "hold the line", comes back a minute or two later saying "we appreciate your patience", to which I eventually replied "look, I'm not patient, I have no choice but to hold the line!") and they took details and advised it would be a warranty repair subject to "a small charge". That was a pleasant surprise. So I sent both phones to them only to be told the repair would cost about $10 less than the cost of a new phone!
This phone design is not fit for service. It should at least be sold with a compulsory protective case. Maybe there's a lawyer out there who could help with a class action.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
nirupamasingh

I have the same problem..I bought my phone in November,2013 and today the screen got a crack and display stopped working..Can anyone please tell if Nokia people can fix this since the phone is in warranty period???

Please reply ASAP!!

marktolly wrote:

i bought a lumia 520 from 02 on the 11/5/13 i had a proble for the first week i couldnt text so i phoned 02 about and the girl said i need to open phone and lean sim card to see if it works i went to open the phone how it shows in the instructions and the screen shattered on me. so i told the girl from 02 what happened and she said i need to go bback to the sotre so i did  and there telling me the phone is not covered for a broken screen can you help me?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Sqabobo

The same thing just happened to me did you find anyone who can fix your phone? I'm in Pretoria so if there is anyone in Jhb who can fix it I can take it there.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Multikulti

Same thing in Auckland NZ. Phone freezes, try to open it, then screen cracks, pride and joy gone. These expensive gizmos should be made stronger. That's it, had it. Nice as it was while it lasted, I'm back to the good old $40 dumbphone.
Please use plain text.