Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Recommended Free Apps for Lumia

Counsellor
Parbeck
Accepted Solution

Recommended Free Apps for Lumia

Hi All.

I continue to be DELIGHTED with my Lumia 800!

I uninstalled most of the Apps from my phone when I bought it because most of those installed were of no interest to me but now that the battery issue seems to be nearing an end for the vast majority of users I'm looking to install some more apps.

In several threads apps have been recommended as useful either because they fill in a gap in the Nokia/Windows offering or are otherwise helpful. In this way I've benefitted from the GPSinfo and Network setup apps.

It strikes me that others are looking to find really useful free apps as well and I thought it would be helpful to pull all the recommendations together in one thread.

So please suggest what you've found, why it's useful and where (and how) to find it. I 'd appreciate free apps only so that the thread doesn't become a marketing platform and no game type apps.

And could someone PLEASE explain to me what you all mean by The Nokia Collection and where to find it !!

Colin 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@Parbeck

Being rolled accross all the regions so will appear before long:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Sage
kevgallacher

An app that I find fantastic is "Artist Info".
It gives you info and photos of the music you are playing like last.fm does but the best feature is the screensaver function.
It looks just like the Zune visualization on PC/Xbox
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Parbeck wrote:

So please suggest what you've found, why it's useful and where (and how) to find it. I 'd appreciate free apps only so that the thread doesn't become a marketing platform and no game type apps.

And could someone PLEASE explain to me what you all mean by The Nokia Collection and where to find it !!

Colin 

Hi Parbeck,

It's good to hear you're happy with your Lumia 800. The Nokia Collection is a group within Marketplace where all apps by Nokia are located. This allow you to quickly find them.

When you open Marketplace on the Lumia you will see the Nokia Collection there.

On the apps I would suggest you have a look at dedicated Windows Phone sites where you will often find announcements of new apps, reviews and the occasional 'special offer' on paid apps. Also many paid apps are available in a free version, usually feature limited or with adds. You would, in the app info, use the TRY button instead of the BUY button to get those.

A good source for popular apps is actually in the Nokia Collection, it's called 'App Highlights'

Let us know how you get on.

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Sage
kevgallacher

Other good sources for apps are "wp7 applist" and "appflow" both are apps themselves with links to marketplace, they sort the apps into categories.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Parbeck

Thanks for your input guys.

Aspergerguy - I'm in the UK (and I'm guessing you are too) but don't see the screen you have so kindly added to the thread. Do you mean it's being progressively rolled out in individual countries or by carrier within countries or something else? I'm confident that this route into the apps would help me to home in on apps that might interest me.

I'll also look at the suggestions others contributed.

Don't forget to add suggestions people!!

Colin

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hubrad

Parbeck, just click Marketplace and Nokia Collection is an option on the first page that opens.

A couple of handy free apps I found are Contact Sender - saves copy-and-pasting to send a number to someone in SMS; Pocket Recorder - handy for vocal/sound/music note making, also has a function for importing ringtones from t'web.

I'm also UK based.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Superzar

An extremely app I use daily is POYNT. Much like Bing Scout onlt MUCH better (Scout only available in US anyways).

Soundhound and Nokia Drive are also nice...
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
fawaz_ayad

Refer to the following link. you will find a very good explanation

Hope it will be useful.

http://conversations.nokia.com/2012/01/24/30-top-apps-for-nokia-lumia-smartphones/

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Parbeck

Hi All and thanks for your inputs.

Aspergerguy - Thanks for the screen shot but I don't get the same screen. My 'marketplace' screen doesn't have the 'Nokia Collection' option! I only have 'Applications/Games/Music'. I assume that the system is not recognising my phone as being from Nokia!

This isn't exactly life-threatening since I can search for applications but it would be satisfying to have some of them nicely organised. Any ideas? As I mentioned before I have a Nokia Lumia 800 bought sim-free from Phones 4 U in the UK. Otherwise I continue to be delighted with my Lumia 800.

Thanks for your inut everyone.

Colin

Please use plain text.