Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Recording Audio with Lumia 920.

Contributor
jminor

Recording Audio with Lumia 920.

Hello,  I will be upgrading to a Lumia 920 (currently use an iPhone4s) and have a question about audio recording.  I know you get great sound when recording a video, but can you record audio only with the 920? 

Thanks,

John

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

[ Edited ]

Voice and audio recording
Audio recording file formats: 3GP, 3G2
Audio recording codecs: AMR-NB
Speech codecs: AMR-WB, GSM FR, AMR-NB, GSM HR, EFR
Audio recording features: Mono with high dynamics

Full specs can be found here

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Contributor
jminor

Thanks Jimmyireland, I guess the 920 has a dedicated recording function similar to using the camera for still pictures and video. I'm pretty excited about getting the 920.
Thanks again.
John
Please use plain text.
Loumia820

As far as I know, the 920 does not have a seperate audio recorder! I own a 820, and i can't find a seperate recording function.

If somebody knows where to find it, please tell me.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jminor

That sounds like a problem. And from what I've researched the audio recording apps available aren't very good. It would be a shame for the 920 to be capable of recording quality audio without a way to access it.....
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

The quality is excellent i own two 920s and can confirm it.

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Contributor
jminor

Is there a dedicated button, or built in feature from Nokia to record audio, or do you need to get a app?  And if it's an app, which provides the audio quality?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jminor

So, how do you access the audio recording feature??? 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
xxag

Don't let them fool you. There is no dicaphone in lumia 920, there is no good voice recording application. The best you can find is Ultimate Recorder, but it is not possible to send files directly to computer.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jminor

Well, when I just want to record quality audio i"ll shoot video, then run the video through an editing program to pull the audio.  Seems like a lot of monkey business but whatever works.  I would like to think at some point in time Nokia will enable their phones to record the same quality audio alone as you can record with video.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
chanchukwan

[ Edited ]

You can make a recording by means of OneNotes

Office - notes - "new" button at the bottom - "audio" button at the bottom

unfortunately my Nokia Lumia 800 only supports 16bit 16kHz audio recording which is definitely not enough to record music

not sure if Lumia WP8 support 16bit 44.1kHz audio recording

Please use plain text.
Advisor
chanchukwan

Even with Ultimate Recorder, the bitrate is just 16bit 16kHz, theoretically only sound below frequency of 8000Hz can be captured, while the human hearing range is 20Hz - 20000Hz.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
rumpelst

You are finally able to create high quality audio recording with Audio Recorder Pro... You can choose wave or compressed type of file. It's recording in stereo with 44.1 Khz or 48 Khz ( in case of  Lumia 920 ) sample rate... You need to have a amber update installed on your phone. The phones which have high quality haac microphones are Lumias: 

620, 720, 820, 920, 925, 928 and 1020...  

Please use plain text.
Deralis

Please use plain text.