Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Replacement or Swap?

Contributor
PRBHT

Replacement or Swap?

First of all, I apologize if a similar topic has been covered elsewhere. I searched, but didn't come across any, hence this new post

In brief: My Lumia 920 had overheating issues, so sent it to the local Nokia Care, to no avail. Asked them to forward it to the head office. It was returned to me after about 1.5 weeks, with the device still overheating, but now with two glaring scratches on my screen. I'd used my phone for almost 2 months without a single dot on the screen, and these Nokia "CARE" people managed to ruin it in just a matter of almost a fortnight. I asked them to take it back, fix the issue and the screen. They said they cannot fix the issue, and so they'll be sending me a "SWAP" device. I asked them if it is an unused or used device, and they assured me it's the former. But when I went to collect the device, the screen had lots of faint scratches. The executives at the local Nokia Care facility were either acting deliberately ignorant or they don't really know what a scratch looks like. Some guy even said that what appears to be a scratch is actually an outline of some part underneath the screen....WOW. They even insisted that I should just accept it, regardless of the scratches, because even if they were to replace it with another device, that device, too, might be in same condition. And that these things are bound to happen during handling and transportation. They wanted me to compromise and accept it just the way the device was. I obviously declined the offer and asked them to get me a proper device, with no scratches whatsoever. I've spoken to the repair team head at the head office who was responsible for fixing my device. She said she'll make sure the next device they send is a proper one, but only after they take it up with the higher authority. 

So here's my question. If these guys send me another device, isn't it supposed to be a new one, especially since my device is only 3 months old (inclusive of almost 1 month being with the repair team)? I've never heard of people getting a swapped device. Isn't replacement almost always a new device? And if these guys send me a device that has unacceptable quality, even if it's cosemtic in nature, should I accept it? And if not, then what else can I do to ensure I get the proper, almost flawless device?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
yasfer21

Re: Replacement or Swap?

It is never a new device. You may review the Manufacturer's Limited Warranty in the Nokia website for your country. It varies per country.

It may not be new but the replacement should be in the same condition as your original phone. If your phone does not have scratches, the replacement should also not have scratches.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
manutyagi

should be a new one..if the mobile is under warranty..and they can't fix the issue they will replace mobile..
just don't accept anything in the name of replacement..put the issue to higher authorities through mail if the same thing happens again..
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
yasfer21

[ Edited ]

You mean if the phone has already been used used for 3 months the replacement should be brand new? How about when used after 6 months?

This si from Nokia AU.

"When repairing or replacing your Product, Nokia may use new or re‐conditioned parts or products."

http://download.fds-ncom.nokia.com/supportFiles/phones/files/pdf_guides/other/Nokia_WP_MLW_ANZ_28Mar...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
PRBHT

Firstly, thank you for your responses.

From whatever I could gather from the web, most people claim they recieved a new device as a replacement. I would presume they thought they were new because to them the device may not have felt like "used", which certainly wasn't in my case. In fact, the repair team head also mentioned, albeit just in passing,  that the device I was sent have been used by the testing team, and no one else. 

I agree that the replacement should be in the same condition as my original device. Despite using it for, technically, 2 months, it looked brand new and without a single spot on the body. I would've accepted couple of very faint scratches, because, frankly, I don't trust these guys to do their job properly any more. I'm tired of their empty assurances, ridiculous excuses, "expert" take on my device's issue and insistence on compromising. I just want this frustrating experience to be over. 

Like I said, I agree with yasfer21, that the replacement should be in the same condition as my device when I'd submitted it to them. I just hope taht the Nokia Care people have the sense to think along the same lines, and do a proper job this time. 

Thanks again for the inputs. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
PRBHT

" When repairing or replacing the Product, Nokia may use products or parts that are new, equivalent to new or re-conditioned"

This is on the Indian Nokia site. The device I was given, at least the screen, didn't seem new, equivalent to new or re-conditioned.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
manutyagi

exact same doesn't need that..if you have put 2 scratches they will mark the two same scrathches and return to you..even if you use it for 11 months..if its warranty then it has to be reworked or replaced as commited in warranty..

agreed that new or old parts will be used but still SAME CONDITION doesn't mean scratches on the screen even if you had one on your old phone which you have submitted for repair or replacing..

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
manutyagi

i too had got replacement from nokia for my old 5230, tried repairing it twice but failed, i got the replacement..and it was new phone..its not a condition that if you have used a handset for 6 months then they will send you one of the handsets used exactly the same amount of time..it has to have good condition..
Please use plain text.
Contributor
PRBHT

Also the funny and ridiculous things is that the scratches were never there when I submitted the phone the first time. But that's the condition in which I got the device back when these guys failed to fix the heating issue, but were assuring me me that it was resolved. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
manutyagi

that's what i am saying..is the same thing happens again..raise the issue to higher authority..if its done there then ok otherwise put the complaint through consumer forum..can be done online sitting at your home.. :smileyhappy:
I wish you don't need to go through all this..
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
yasfer21

Don't settle for anything less than the phone you originally submitted. If they are unable to provide you with a refurb phone of the same condition, that isthe time that you can demand a brand new replacement.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
PRBHT

Thanks for all the advice and insights. I just hope Indian Nokia Care people are sensible enough to right the wrongs they've done so far and provide me with an almost flawless, if not flawless, replacement. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
PRBHT

Just got a ridiculous update. The replacement device I had sent back, because of many scratches on the screen, was actually again approved by the Nokia Care's "High Authority". And they'd said that the device is ok to be sent back to the customer. But before they could do that, I'd contacted the repair team and reiterated that I will not be accepting any cell that doesn't match the condition my original phone was in, i.e. scratchless. As a result, my complaint has been escalated again, and the "High Authority" will be looking into the matter, AGAIN. 

Is my case really beyond hope (like so many others')? I mean, if the head of the Nokia Care thinks that the scratched device (or perhaps can't see the scratches on the device) is okay to be sent to the customer, then what other options does that leave me with? Who else can I approach, and how many times? I doubt if Mr. Stephen Elop would entertain my request :smileytongue:

Any help, suggestions, insights??

Please use plain text.
Contributor
PRBHT

Come on, guys. Please help me out. The head at the Nokia Care is adamant on sending me the same scratched device. They say they cannot see any scratches on the screen. 

Is there are any other way I could get them to see sense and not victimize me for no fault of my own? As a last resort, I've even asked them to return my original device (which by the way they'd put two scratches on, and suffers from overheating) as I am tired of waiting.

Please, any advice would do.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
manutyagi

Now when they are not listening just put a complaint to consumer forum, the cost of,phone is,not a small amount in India since we don't,have operators subsidized phoens they cost much more....my friend don't hesitate its ur right to,get the,good condition phone. Even online you can lodge complaint.
i saw this post today only..any update plz provide.
Please use plain text.
Sage
songoku777

the computer company i used to work for sends out a brand new system exchange if the problem was reported within 30 days of purchase, if it was outside of that but within warranty, a system exchange will may also be done.. but with a refurbished unit. however the cosmetic condition of the refurb unit should be reasonably acceptable.

Please use plain text.