Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Reponse to customers' questions about battery ...

Technical Expert
michaels

Response to customers' questions about battery life

[ Edited ]

Nokia has issued the following statement in response to some customers’ questions about the power consumption of their Nokia Lumia devices:

“ We understand that some people have expressed concerns about battery life on the Nokia Lumia 800.  Early investigations show that the majority of people are enjoying the full Nokia Lumia experience without any problems.  A software update in early December will include improvements to power efficiency, while a second update in early January introduces further enhancements to battery life and battery charging.  Both are planned updates and will be made available via Zune.  We recommend that anyone who still has concerns contact local Nokia care representatives at their earliest convenience.”

Nokia also has some support information already available regarding the optimisation of battery life in general:

For general advice on power consumption, please see:
http://www.nokia.co.uk/gb-en/support/faq/?action=singleFAQ&caseid=FA136400_en_US

If the battery of your Lumia device is completely discharged, please see:
http://www.nokia.co.uk/gb-en/support/faq/?action=singleFAQ&caseid=FA136671_en_US

If you are using a Nokia charger that you already have for a previous device, this might not be as effective as the one provided with you Lumia device. Nokia recommends that the correct charger be used:
http://www.nokia.co.uk/gb-en/support/faq/?action=singleFAQ&caseid=FA136508_en_US

For users of Nokia Drive:
http://www.nokia.co.uk/gb-en/support/faq/?action=singleFAQ&caseid=FA136586_en_US

If you have specific concerns about your Nokia phone, please consult your local Nokia Care point. To find a Nokia Care point in your area, visit http://www.nokia.com/global/support

Edit: New statement from Nokia included which gives additional information concerning Nokia's investigation into these concerns and about forthcoming improvements to Windows Phone in the Nokia Lumia 800.

Nokia Lumia - the fastest growing smartphone

If this or any post answers your question, please remember to help others by pressing the 'Accept as solution' button.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
zeduffman

Re: Reponse to customers' questions about battery life

they should expect to recharge their Nokia Lumia device daily based on average usage.”

That's very open to interpretation though, isn't it? I would class my day as 7am to 11pm, and my Lumia has no chance of making that unless I switch all the radios off and don't use it for anything.

Please use plain text.
Professor

Nice to get some acknowledgement from them but

• Switch Bluetooth off when you don’t need it.

Ok fair enough

• Use network connections selectively. For example, if the signal strength of the mobile network varies much in your area, your phone must scan for the available network repeatedly. This increases the demand on battery power. If the 3G connection is on in the mobile network settings, your phone searches for the 3G network. To switch off the 3G connection, select Settings >mobile network, and deactivate the 3G connection.

No. I'm sorry but we shouldn't have to go into settings and change network modes to get a full day out of the phone

• The backlight of the display increases the demand on battery power. In the brightness settings, you can lower the display brightness level.

why have such a nice screen if we are going to have to turn the brightness down

• Leaving applications running in the background increases the demand on battery power. Close applications you do not use.

All that palava about WP7 not having multitasking for it to come then we get told not to do it

• Switch off the vibrate function of your phone and use the ringtone only.

Maybe, we are out and about and won't always hear the phone ringing?

• Switch off your phone whenever you don’t plan to answer any calls, for example, while you are sleeping.

Yes because all phone calls are pre planned and there's no way we would ever need to be gotten hold of in an emergency

If the battery loses the power fast even though there are no features consuming the power, the battery may be wearing out and you need to replace it with a new one.

Brand spanking new phone guys.

Thanks to nokia for putting this out but ......try again please....try harder

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
DarthNaga

I can only echo mkr's post in that this isn't acceptable, the cases of the lumia battery life are being reported by more than one person, surely this is a case of hardware or software issue and thus they need to pull their finger out and get it sorted to make their customers happy!! I for one and happy with the phone except for the issues i have listed, please listen to your customers Nokia, before you lose them (again)
Please use plain text.
Professor

Then there's the whole Wifi thing...clearly something wrong there.

Plus the hidden diagnostic menu says the battery is charged 65535%....That's weird.....
Please use plain text.
Advisor
BrentNewbury

The poor battery life many people are reporting is clearly a problem. At a bare minimum, I want to know that Nokia are thoroughly investigating the issue and what Nokia plans to do to rectify the problem. I was not expecting a meager 11 hours of usage after watching Nokia's own video touting the battery life, as seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTr6Sk-3z6A.

I have all background services, locate my phone, and WiFi turned off, and minimal other use, except for moderate music playback. Less than 11 hours is not acceptable.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
neile35c

Re: Response to customers' questions about battery life

this is bad news for nokia i was considering a lumia as my next phone not now .not until they issue a better response. Nokia you need to listen to your customers more so with a new product.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
patriciaanne3

I'm sure they are listening and the next update will sort things out.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
BrentNewbury

I'm sure they are listening patriciaanne3. It would just be nice to see a more understanding response like "Nokia are aware of the problem and are currently investigating the issue. We apologise for the inconvenience", rather than (and this is paraphrased) "You're using the phone wrong, you need to turn off every feature that makes your £400+ device, a smart phone."
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
helaker

[ Edited ]

Jeez, this sounds bad. I thought my N9's battery life was bad. I was going to sell it and get a Lumia 800, but after reading through this thread I'm glad I went with the N9.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
PieterB

What a completely inadequate response.

We're not complaining about having to recharge our phones daily at all. We're complaining about barely using the phone and having to recharge our phones twice daily. I have not yet seen more than 12 hours of battery life, and as little as 7. And as far as i know, i'm awake for more than 12 hours a day.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

PieterB wrote:

And as far as i know, i'm awake for more than 12 hours a day.

The Amazing (short) Everyday:smileywink:

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Ex-Administrator (Retired)
vandelay

Hi all,

and thank you for sharing your experiences and feelings here. Nokia is aware that some customers have been reporting shorter battery lives than expected, and these concerns are being investigated.

If you have any specific concerns, we advise you to visit a Nokia Care point in your country so they can inspect your phone and battery. You can find local addresses by visiting your local Nokia website >> Support.

I wrote all my posts from 2005-2011 as an "Admin" for this community. I still work for Nokia as an external consultant, so my rank in all posts is now "Employee".
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Bh222

God I thought my iPhone 3GS had a bad battery but the 'Amazing Half-a-Day' phone really takes the Micky with battery life.... I had to use a phone box today as my battery went flat over 3 hours use and about 6 hours stand by...Add to that Nokia don't seem to be really admitting much apart from turning off the features I've paid good money to be included..... IT'S AN INSULT ! When I ring Nokia Care (joke of name cause they don't) I get some person in India reading from a script and giving me conflicting information...... There's a good reason why apple have increased market share in smartphones..... They offer fantastic hardware (and admit quickly and fix when they don't) and they offer a much much better after sales package..... That settles the battery problem in lumia........ Take it back and get an iPhone 4S
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
patriciaanne3

I have the 4s and the lumia and they use up power at the same rate when used for the same amount of time.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Bh222

Well your obviously not having the same problems as I am with the lumias battery... My 3GS lasts about a day even with the iOS 5 update ( non 5.01) but its the fact my lumias battery is being depleted when it's in standby! With wifi and Bluetooth turned off.... And I shouldnt have to turn it off when it's not in use
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
aikon171

Symbian users (including me) didn't experience it before.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

im watching all this closely as im due an upgrade soon.Im not a windows fan (HTC for a week) but i love the look of the Lumia and am tempted to give windows another go but as im self employed i cant buy a phone that needs constant charging.
I thought i read about Nolia bragging how long its battery will last compared to other phones in the same market.
And for those reasons (for now) IM OUT.

P.S. my nearest NCC is 50 miles away and closed on Saturdays

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei

mkr10001 wrote:

• Leaving applications running in the background increases the demand on battery power. Close applications you do not use.

All that palava about WP7 not having multitasking for it to come then we get told not to do it

Windows Phone doesn't even allow the phone user to close applications. You can switch to another app, but if there is free run-time memory, Windows Phone will keep the app in the background (even if it can't do much there due to how Windows Phone is designed). Windows Phone will on its own decide when it fully closes an app, or not with no control given to the user, and where little to the app developer, too (just state information of the app no longer being in the foreground/active, and if the operating system decides to remove it from memory alltogether).

The only way for a Windows Phone user to really close a Windows Phone app is to reboot the phone (then only those apps that Microsoft or the device manufcturer has decided to start at boot will be started).

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Nope, I dont think you have understood the way MS manages memory correctly. The OS WILL kill an app if you back out of it by pressing the back button. On the other hand, when you press the Windows button to come to the main screen the app is tombstoned and stored in memory. Now, with mango, you have fast app switching.. which means, a maximum of 5 apps can do an instant resume.. pick off where the user left.. The remaining ones, if you get to it by keep pressing the back key, will have to be reloaded i.e., not instant.. So, the answer is... Yes, you can close apps by backing out.

Please use plain text.