Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Reponse to customers' questions about battery ...

Professor
babis3g

Re: Reponse to customers' questions about battery life

sorry hijacking guys and sorry some facing battery troubles
but i am intresting getting a windows phone
now reading this battery issue i am not sure

how ever question to DREAMERB
after running 5 apps in windows, the rest will keep in beckground and will need to restart each app if wil come back for them via multitask option??? like in the iphone?

thanks
Please use plain text.
Contributor
PieterB

For multitasking you just press and hold the back button, and it will show the last apps you used, with a screenshot of the app. You then just click the screenshot and the app will resume. The OS automatically stops apps if it needs the memory for something else, but you can remove them from the multitask list yourself easily if you want to. Works great, sort of like what ios does, but with a different user interface.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

@babis3g Nokia have already said that they are going to release an update to fix the issue. Personally speaking, I do NOT have any issues with mine. It is atleast comparable to my other windows phone. Apart from a bad batch, maybe people switching over from a Symbian device have a higher expectation. I am not discounting the fact that a lot of people are facing really bad battery though..

To answer your question, as PieterB said, if the OS thinks it needs resources, it will pull out the particular app from the 'instant resume' bucket. The same goes to apps that are older than 5 apps in the navigation stack. Its not particularly restarting.. its just that it takes a bit longer than the 'instant resume'. You'd get a second or two of the 'Loading..' or 'Resuming..' text before the app becomes active.

Saying that, I am yet to see a scenario where I need more than 5 apps open at the same time.. Your usage might differ obviously..
Please use plain text.
Advisor
RockEviltwin

Re: Response to customers' questions about battery life

My Lumia 800 can hardly survive my daily work time (8-10 hours) and I'm only using it for some communications (calls, email...) and for some 40-80 minutes of surfing during breaks. My old iPhone 4 lasted much much longer, and I was a bit disappointed with its duration, too. Normally I would say this is a fantastic piece of hardware with a fantastic mobile Windows (!) OS, but the duration is catastrophic and I am used to modern smartphones' battery life.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
teh0wner

RockEviltwin wrote:

My Lumia 800 can hardly survive my daily work time (8-10 hours) and I'm only using it for some communications (calls, email...) and for some 40-80 minutes of surfing during breaks. My old iPhone 4 lasted much much longer, and I was a bit disappointed with its duration, too. Normally I would say this is a fantastic piece of hardware with a fantastic mobile Windows (!) OS, but the duration is catastrophic and I am used to modern smartphones' battery life.

Can you please let us know

1) what apps are you using

2) when did you buy the phone/how many charge cycles you've done

3) wifi on/off, bluetooth on/off,

4) any other information that may cause this

Quite a few of us are facing battery life problem and we're trying to pinpoint what the problem could be. Firmware problem, a software that may be draining the battery, bad battery batch, etc.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Bh222

According to multiple sites on the Internet. Nokia have announced two software updates to tackle poor battery life on the lumia (early December and January) Would have been nice to have someone from Nokia comment this on here instead of me having to google it..... http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2011/11/24/nokia-lumia-800-battery-issue-updates-confirmed/ http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/43211/nokia-lumia-800-battery-complaints-iphone-4s
Please use plain text.
neembeam

I've had my Lumia for a 24 hours and I feel moved to agree with the consensus within this forum. Because I'm busy at work all day I have not been using it very much during the daytime but the battery is still running down very fast compared to the expectation I had developed from the promotional material surrounding this phone.

If I have not received a solution or an assurance that this longevity issue will be improved by approx 50% or more within 12 days then I can only exercise my right to exchange within 14 days with Orange - and replace the phone with another one with better battery performance.

It's pretty sad because I've waited a long time for a phone to come along, which is not an apple device, that delivers on user experience, I think that the Lumia is an excellent foundation to build on but without the fundamental support of a comparitively reliable power supply it's reach is being cut short.

Please use plain text.
Professor
babis3g

got the message thanks
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei

dreamerB wrote:

Nope, I dont think you have understood the way MS manages memory correctly. The OS WILL kill an app if you back out of it by pressing the back button. On the other hand, when you press the Windows button to come to the main screen the app is tombstoned and stored in memory. Now, with mango, you have fast app switching.. which means, a maximum of 5 apps can do an instant resume.. pick off where the user left.. The remaining ones, if you get to it by keep pressing the back key, will have to be reloaded i.e., not instant.. So, the answer is... Yes, you can close apps by backing out.

For the tech inclined, here's a Microsoft blog article on the topic:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ptorr/archive/2010/08/01/exiting-a-windows-phone-application.aspx

Please use plain text.
Advisor
RockEviltwin

[ Edited ]

teh0wner wrote

Can you please let us know

1) what apps are you using

2) when did you buy the phone/how many charge cycles you've done

3) wifi on/off, bluetooth on/off,

4) any other information that may cause this

Quite a few of us are facing battery life problem and we're trying to pinpoint what the problem could be. Firmware problem, a software that may be draining the battery, bad battery batch, etc.

Answers:

a) mainly using internet explorer, mail, youtube app, whatsapp, facebook app, office hub, adobe reader

b) use my Lumia since Monday (Nov. 21st), about 1,5-2 full cycle charges/day (sadly)

c) Wifi on, BT off, location services on, got 2 imap email-accounts (refresh every 30/60 minutes), facebook and twitter account also activated

d) phone is developer-unlocked (but not since Monday, problems already before unlock), diagnostics tool shows wrong battery status (65535%), charging with USB-port  is most of the time slower than discharging unplugged according to diagnostics tool

Would be great if that could be fixed because I love design and software of my Lumia.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
teh0wner

I wonder if it's the unlock thing thats causing the issue. I must admit mine's been much worse since then. And logically it was 'too early' for the battery to get in shape before the unlock.

I'll try remove the unlock and see if that makes any difference. (doubt it tho)
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Rallicat

I've switched to the Lumia 800 from the iPhone 4.  So far, the battery life is really letting this product down.  In every other way, it's great - but battery life for me has been shockingly bad, even with light usage.

A friend of mine also has one, and is not experiencing the same problem, which leads me to wonder whether there is a 'bad batch' here.

I'm anxious because I want to know whether swapping out my phone will help ... or will I get another problem handset?

I /want/ to like, use and advocate this handset - but right now, I can't.  It has to 'last until bedtime' - if It can't do that, then it's a serious problem for me.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
teh0wner

Did you buy it from the same location as your friend?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hary536

Bh222 wrote:
God I thought my iPhone 3GS had a bad battery but the 'Amazing Half-a-Day' phone really takes the Micky with battery life.... I had to use a phone box today as my battery went flat over 3 hours use and about 6 hours stand by...Add to that Nokia don't seem to be really admitting much apart from turning off the features I've paid good money to be included..... IT'S AN INSULT ! When I ring Nokia Care (joke of name cause they don't) I get some person in India reading from a script and giving me conflicting information...... There's a good reason why apple have increased market share in smartphones..... They offer fantastic hardware (and admit quickly and fix when they don't) and they offer a much much better after sales package..... That settles the battery problem in lumia........ Take it back and get an iPhone 4S

Your assumption of apple offering fantastic hardware(and admit quickly and fix when they don't) is totally wrong. Seems, you have been sleeping or you are like one of the Apple fans, who don't want to believe anything bad when it comes to Apple.

I just switched from Nokia to iphone4S for my work phone due to work related tasks.

Now, I can tell you that iphone4S has some issues which Apple isn't easily admitting.

There is an issue with mic picking up different frequencies causing static noise is every audio recording on the phone.There are other mic issues also, reported on Apple forums.  I went to Apple care store and they say they haven't heard at all about any mic issue. I told them about apple forums and they said we heard first time from you. So it as flat and lies as this. They swapped my phone, since it was week old only, and the new phone has same issue. My colleague's phone has same problem, he didn't notice it since he doesn't use if for audio or video recording.

Also iphone4S has battery life issue, and it took long time for Apple to admit to that problem, almost after a month. Whereas Nokia here admitted after a week.

Also do you remember how fast did Apple admit the "antenna gate" issue and what solution they provided you?

Would you be satisfied, if Nokia tells you that if you have battery problems, please carry an extra battery with you. Nokia will provide you a spare battery?

I am sure you will not, but if Apple told you same thing, you will say ya sure, I am fine.

If you like my post, hit the Kudo button on the right! :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hary536

iphone4S has same pattern of batter life problem. Some users having problem like you and some having no such issue. (I just bought iphone 4S for work), so i know.
If you like my post, hit the Kudo button on the right! :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
teh0wner

Nokia haven't admitted anything tbh. They just said they had ALREADY PLANNED two firmware updates for the battery. They never said they WILL RELEASE firmware ESPECIALLY to fix the issues.
Please use plain text.
thejollyboys

Had my device three days and the most  it has lasted between charges is 6 hours!

It was fully charged today at 11:00 when I unplugged it from the wall, it was completely flat and switched itself off by16:30!

I was not doing anything with the phone it was simply in my pocket.  Couple of text messages, that was it.

With Nokia putting so much into this phone, it is a real disappointment.

I'm going back to my Samsung Omnia which I have used for months now and goes on for about 2 days before charging.

Come on Nokia you need to do far better!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
RockEviltwin

[ Edited ]

There is something else I recognized. I am unable to establish an HSDPA-connection, even when it should (urban area, very good connection, friend's windows phone has HSDPA). My Lumia always doesn't go beyond 3G (according to info on the screen). I bought my Lumia extra, so it has not my carrier's (Telekom Germany) branding. There should be a network configuration tool from Nokia in the marketplace to help but it disappeared shortly after the release and I was unable to try it. Maybe that could cause some problems.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
iceytoa1

"Also iphone4S has battery life issue, and it took long time for Apple to admit to that problem, almost after a month. Whereas Nokia here admitted after a week.

Also do you remember how fast did Apple admit the "antenna gate" issue and what solution they provided you?

Would you be satisfied, if Nokia tells you that if you have battery problems, please carry an extra battery with you. Nokia will provide you a spare battery?

I am sure you will not, but if Apple told you same thing, you will say ya sure, I am fine."

Just goint to point out that NEITHER PHONE has a replaceable battery and the way the Lumia 800 is designed would make a Charger Case impossible...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
frolix

I ruled down the battery drain problem to 3g or the data connection. Doing stuff under wifi with 3g and data switched off don't affect the cherge level at all.

I'm sure that Nokia will resolve this problem in no time.

Please use plain text.