Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Response to customers' questions about battery...

Advisor
RockEviltwin

Re: Response to customers' questions about battery life

[ Edited ]

I can say about the same. WIth 3G turned off my battery now lasts noticeable longer (much longer) even when the phone isn't used at all. I also did some data speed tests (with app 'BandWidth). I got some satisfying results ( see attachment || 3G on, Wifi off) although I always get a 3G logo shown and never an H. I was wondering if this is a bug.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
frolix

Anyway, did anyone experience a stragely long battery charging time?

Mine take 2:40" from being completely drain to a full charge (using the usb charger provided with the phone).

It seems a little bit long time for a charge, what do you think?

Please use plain text.
MAG243

[ Edited ]

Sorry this post may be a bit off topic, but this discussion gave me an idea for a location based battery saver which I hope somebody from Nokia or Microsoft will pick up.

Let me elaborate: I carry my phone with me all the time, but most of the time I am either at home or at the office and at both sites my phone is connected to a WiFi network; since the WiFi gives me access to a high speed internet connection the 3G functionality of my phone could be switched off as I do not need it in these locations. Similarly when I am driving on the highway I do not need my phone to search for WiFi networks as I will not connect to any of them anyway and I have my 3G connection.

Off course I can manually turn on/off 3G and WiFi based on where I am, but it would be very nice if the phone would automatically turn off/on 3G and WiFi connection based on my location (i.e. if I am connected to my home or office WiFi disable 3G and if I am out of reach of any of my WiFi networks disable WiFi and enable 3G).

The above is just an crazy idea I had on a rainy Sunday afternoon, it may be worthless but if not I hope it will inspire windows phone developers out there to improve battery life of my Lumia.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
stueyboy

Not such a bad suggestion. I'd settle for just not using the 3g when connected to wifi. The phone will automatically connect to wifi networks it remembers so might it not be so difficult to switch off 3g at the same time?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
PaulSlide

There is exactly such a facility on Android, although it's a third-party app.  All the hardware is present and correct to make such an app also possible on WP7 so let's hope someone decides it's worthwhile.  

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Thanks for the update guys, it will be interesting to see just how much of a difference this makes.

Is there also any official word on whether there will be tweaks to the sensitivity issues some people are having? See some of the other threads in the forum.

Please use plain text.
r4ndom4is

The updates to come in Dec and Jan were already planned before these battery issues surfaced -  Nokia does not know the root of the problem for now.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
twenty7twelve

My lumia 800 lasted just 5 hours this morning after a full overnight charge. All I did was listen to the fm radio for 30 mins, receive 2 emails, and that was it. I made sure everything was off, even put it in flight mode but it didn't help at all. 

So upset, phone is only 10 days old! 

Called orange earlier, am getting a replacement handset delivered tomorrow. Hope the new handset will be better. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
stueyboy

That's harsh. Hope your replacement is better for you
Please use plain text.
Advisor
twenty7twelve

Thanks, so upset! My previous nokia 5530 lasted at least a whole day and more with data browsing and 2 hours of music playing!

Please use plain text.
Sage
DeathFromAbove

MY 2 CENTS  :smileyvery-happy:

Fully charged this morning at 8am.  3 email accounts on the go (only one constant update), no calls or text, 2 hours on offline nokia music, 3 website perusals and now battery at 15%..ooh 14%.  Okay I have location services on, but no auto time,bluetooth or wifi.

Issue patch ASAP or list of phones batches that are affected and replace.

WP is dead
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
iceytoa1

" MY 2 CENTS :smileyvery-happy: Fully charged this morning at 8am. 3 email accounts on the go (only one constant update), no calls or text, 2 hours on offline nokia music, 3 website perusals and now battery at 15%..ooh 14%. Okay I have location services on, but no auto time,bluetooth or wifi. Issue patch ASAP or list of phones batches that are affected and replace. "
This.

I am pretty sure it's a huge chunk of the first EU batches as the guy from My Nokia blog claims that his second Lumia 800 a EU one has a noticeably worse Battery life.

That and it only seems to be Europeans who brought it around launch who are having problems.

Please use plain text.
Sage
DeathFromAbove

Got a replacement.   Has a similar serial number etc so same batch, but battery life excepionally good so far.:smileyhappy:  

So just dodgey manufacturing to blame imo.

WP is dead
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

iceytoa1 wrote:

" MY 2 CENTS :smileyvery-happy: Fully charged this morning at 8am. 3 email accounts on the go (only one constant update), no calls or text, 2 hours on offline nokia music, 3 website perusals and now battery at 15%..ooh 14%. Okay I have location services on, but no auto time,bluetooth or wifi. Issue patch ASAP or list of phones batches that are affected and replace. "
This.

I am pretty sure it's a huge chunk of the first EU batches as the guy from My Nokia blog claims that his second Lumia 800 a EU one has a noticeably worse Battery life.

That and it only seems to be Europeans who brought it around launch who are having problems.

It is only released in 6 European countires so far, so it's hardly a big surprise that all reported problems are with EU batches.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
lukejade

Was lead to believe there would be an update today (5th Dec) been quite looking forward to SOMETHING being done about the poor battery life does any have any idea when the update will be released??
Please use plain text.
Advisor
xcvtop

Just thought I would say update is live in the UK for all those interested phones is updating as we speak, I will let you know if all goes well

Please use plain text.
Advisor
xcvtop

If anyone cares the update went fine

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Mugetsu

[ Edited ]

Update went fine, but change nothing to the battery drop...
My phone hold the w-e with no 3G, Data, WiFi, Bluetooth...

Doesn't hold a day went data is on...

Please use plain text.
aminulhoque24

Nokia Lumia eating all my data even when using my home WIFI connection.

sorry about if this isnt relating to the current post as i couldnt find the place to start a new thread.. sorry

i just bought my nokia lumia 800 and ive been using it for 4 days now i have been using it frequently but mostly on wifi, however i now find out that its eaten half of my data usage.. in just 4 days which is pretty scary.. can anyone helpe me please. thanks

Please use plain text.
Sage
N8one

Re: Nokia Lumia eating all my data even when using my home WIFI connection.

Hi there aminulhoque24

This may be better to open a new thread, but thought i would try and help you out. 

First, how much is you data allowance. I would reccomend at least 500mb, but closer to 1gb is advisable if you use facebook, emails etc alot. 

Second, is this an upgrade or new connection?

If it is a new connection, you may just be in your pro rata time. This is when you only get a certain amount of data/ mins/ texts untill your first bill date. 

EG: I f i signed a new contract today with 300 mins, 750mg data and 300 text and my billing date is 23rd of each month- untill the 23rd of december (10 days) my allowance would be: 100 mins, 250mb and 100 text, afetr the 23rd i would get my full months worth of data. (hope this makes sense).

It should also be noted it is easy to eat up data if you want to. Streaming something like sky news or youtube videos for 4 hours solid could easily eat up around 1gb of data. 

There are ways of avoiding large bills if you do use up all of your data, but i would need to know which network and country you are using. 

Hope this helps. 

Please use plain text.