Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Response to customers' questions about battery...

Contributor
markust

Re: Response to customers' questions about battery life

[ Edited ]

I do not believe Nokia anymore. They are not telling the truth.

I bought a lumia 800 blue on 21/12/2011. It had a serious problem with the battery. Lasted about 6 hours in light use almost all the features turned off. That phone had full charge capacity ~970 mAh.

So I took it back and it was replaced with Lumia 800 black yesterday. Full charge capacity was ~1500 mAh. I thought that everything was ok but there is only a small change. Now the battery lasts about 9 hours in light use almost all smart phone features turned off!

This really is a shame because I already loved the user inferface and the features! But it is not possible to use this phone as a work phone because of the battery problem.

But Nokia is not giving the truth as this battery problem is NOT affecting only the phones with less than 1000 mAh full capacity! I have read about phones with 4-6 days standby times. If that would be the case I would marry this Lumia 800 but now I have to take it back.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
patriciaanne3

Sorry you are having problems. I have had my lumia for a few weeks now but only been using it fully over the holiday period. I've found it has an excellent standby time but when used generally it  needs to be charged every evening. I don't use it for work so don't use it heavily. My partner has the htc radar and a member of the family the motzart, they also need to be charged on a daily basis.

The lumia's battery definitely improves with use.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
markust

It would be fine for me to charge the phone once a day or two but my Lumia has to be charged 3 times a day and real standby time is really less than 9 hours. If I charge it at 8pm and turn the battery saving mode on it will not wake me up in the morning as battery has drained...

Comparing to the Nokia's specs the battery lasts about 15-20% what is promised!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
RussU

That's definitely not right. With battery saver on, overnight my battery level hardly drops at all.
Please use plain text.
Sage
DeathFromAbove

I am sure it has been said...but just turn off 3G (data still works), turn off connect to XBOX Live and location services.

Battery lasts at least 3 days even on WIFI.

WP is dead
Please use plain text.
Contributor
markust

Yes turn your smart phone features off - otherwise your smart phone is useless... I do not have any statistics. I am telling the facts about the 2 lumias which I have tried to use (the other one with full charge capacity problem the the other without it). 

This is not a question of whole truth. This is true with these two Nokia Lumias.

Please use plain text.
Sage
N8one

[ Edited ]

20 hours since last charge, 61% remaining.

Wifi always on, twitter, facebook, i spend an unhealthy amount of time playing shuffle party, few pictures and around half an hour on the phone. 2 email addresses and about an hour of music playback during the commute to and from work. 3G always on. 

This is about on par with my previous android handsets, although not as good as the battery on my N8 (but then my N8 didnt work as hard as the Lumia).

Edit: I should mention to start with, the battery was much worse, it seams to have gotten much better after a few charging cycles. 

Please use plain text.
huhupaw

hopefully the same with the rest...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Neelendu

We do accept that NOKIA LUMIA has got of features which is actually very useful and fine, on the second hand all these comes at a cost of battery life.
1. Whats the point when we have to charge it several times.
2. To save the battery if the mail sync has to be delayed or manual then whats the use od this being called as business phone.
3.User will not be running around wiht their chargers always right?
4.Nokia should focus on battery life and the usage before launching. Proper analysis should be done which I dont think has been done.
5. I charge my phone fully in the morning.. "No Info that Battery is charged fully" anyways have charged for 3 hrs and 1 made a call for 5 mins.. and then checked the battery.,, it reduced to 95% and more.
6. The battery gets drained slowly when coming to an end but in full charged its gets drained very quickly.

Not sure when this update will come.. Have not got the Dec Update and its Jan 6.. not sure when the update will come..
Please use plain text.
dauf

Hello, My phone is absolutely one of the affected one.. Just have to wait for the update.. but one question:

Normally, for how many hours should this phone charge from 0 - 100% capacity??..

My phone just take about 3 and a half hours to charge it to full capacity.. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
manju6424

Hi michaels

My phones remaining charge capacity is displaying as 1307mAh after charging it for three hours and its Full charge capacity is displaying as 1513mAh.

I am not able to use it even for 6 hours after fully charged with disabled Location services,Wifi, and background apps and reduced brightness.

Is there any solution for this by software update or i have to go to nokia store where they will take weeks time only to rectify the issue and another week to watch youtube on users handsets.

Please use plain text.
FiftyFifty

I can confirm, I am suffering huge battery drain while 3G is on. But why should I turn the 3G off, if it is smartphone, it should be fast and smart. My old Nokia E71 didn't care if I turn 3G on or off. It just worked. Hope it'll be fixed with incoming January update.

Could somebody tell me the exact date of system update, if there is any?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
RussU

3G saps battery life on all phones.

Also, if you're in an area with weak 3G signal, this will have a drastic impact on battery life, as the phone will continually search for a better one.
Please use plain text.
jonathanb9

Firstly, I have to say what a great Phone the Lumia is. So much better than the iphone and HTCs. Apart from the battery issues.

The first day I got it the Battery ran down quite fast but I put that down to me playing with it to find out what it can do and to go through all the setting up etc.

The next day I noticed it ran down really quickly and Installed the updates in the hope there was a fix that would solve the issue.

Now I have the ? over the Battery icon so I don't know what amou8nt is left, until I go into the Battery Save function which tell me. However, each time I go in there, it shows me a different amount left even if exit and go straight back in. This maybe a battery issue and it maybe a Battery Meter issue, probably both.

But after saying that, mine now says 8 hours since last charge, which is correct, 83% remaining life and 9 hours remaining life. I have turned off Xbox Live and made my email address sync less often but it seems to be getting better.

Anyway, I hope it improves as I would love to keep this phone, it's great!!!

Please use plain text.
FiftyFifty

[ Edited ]

RussU, yes, active 3G consumes slightly more battery than 2G. But not as much as on my phone.

Fully charged phone lost more than 40% for a single night (full signal strength), it is NOT normal, and it is NOT as on the other phones.

My Nokia E71 can last online for days with 3G enabled. I don't notice any remarkable difference between 3G and 2G on E71. Even my Acer Liquid (Android) lived much longer than Nokia Lumia 710 on 3G.

So it is definitely a flaw. But the question is: is it software or hardware? I hope that it is software flaw, so I hope that Nokia publish an update soon.

Please use plain text.

I agree with that. The biggest problem is the 3g draining. I already updated to 11501 and indeed fixes the charging issue. Now my battery charges to 1442 (before was 1260 mah) this is good and is almost the 1450 mah that there should be. Another fix is for the automatic display brightness. Before in low light or even dark condition it was too intense. Now is way more appropriate to the light condition and with full light it goes very bright as should be. This calibration may save some energy when indoor and it's good for eye comfort. Both these fixes can give us probably a 15-20% more battery juice. But in my opinion there's a big 3G battery draining problem. I can say this because if I switch to 2g the standby draining is about 6-8 mah while on 3G is about 14-16 mah. This is according to the detailed battery info found on the update fw. We know that the standby time (I mean standby, NOT talk time) on 3G is higher than 2g (see specs from Nokia) so this draining is not normal. This is a common issue on today's smartphones from different platforms and has to be fixed with fw refinement. This fix could improve battery life about 20-30% so in my opinion is the highest priority fix to be done regarding battery. Sadly in the 11501 I haven't found any fix for music player sound (lack of dinamics and lack of bass) or camera performance not as good as should be. Obiuvsly IMHO.
Please use plain text.
noel26

Today I submitted my mobile to Nokia Care with battery issue. They told its software problem and they will instal or update the OS. I am waiting to get it back on Monday and see the result that whether my 19k went to waste or I can be proud of my mobile. 

Please use plain text.
noel26

Now the Nokia care guys are telling it may take 10 days to repair as they may have to send it to " HEAD OFFICE".... So will I have to suffer this was with my new mobile or Nokia will replace it?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jayrs

IM on my second lumia 800, I sent the first one back to orange after 3 days, and the replacement so far has been better, and ive had it about 6 weeks now, but the battery life is still poor really, my old N8 would last for days even with normal use, this one, normal use will see the battery half drained, or 3/4 drained in a day, and I have data off, wifi off etc, I do connect to wifi several times a day, however, I do leave the 3g connection switched on at all times.

ive had a couple of updates via zune, but so far I haven't seen anything about a battery update.

Also, how is it you know what power is in your batteries? Mine doesn't show what mah it is??

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Amithsiji

The same here...My battery life increaed very much compared to what I had when I replaced it. I am in India and the problem is 3G and Docomo connection. if you are enabling 3G in settings but you dont have a 3G conenction it will eat down your battery. second Tata Docomo itself eats good amount of your power comparing to other service providers(reason for fast internet comparing to other companies). But as I said i dont want to change the service provider because of the cheap mobile bills and fast Internet service. Still i have to charge only once in a day.I charge it at 5 am evryday with a battery remaining 30-35%....However te call ending issue exist....and the solution till the software update is to ask the person at other end to hang the phone.
Please use plain text.