Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Response to customers' questions about battery lif...

Counsellor
RussU

Re: Response to customers' questions about battery life

Yep that's something I'll be trying as well, if removing the tiles has no effect.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
hairychad

93tid wrote:

Try switching to Airplane mode instead of battery saver and see how it goes.

can't we just leave the phone turned off to preserve battery life?!?  :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

[ Edited ]

hairychad wrote:

93tid wrote:

can't we just leave the phone turned off to preserve battery life?!?  :smileytongue:

"On many phones it uses less battery than switching it off then back on again in the morning."

psychomania

Please use plain text.
Advisor
hairychad

93tid wrote:

hairychad wrote:

93tid wrote:

"On many phones it uses less battery than switching it off then back on again in the morning."

psychomania

I appreciate the options, but I've never had a phone where I've had to do these actions and need to be contactable 24/7 in case of emergencies.

until Nokia catagorically mention there is an issue, with a potential fix then it looks like I'll be ditching my shiny new phone, and potential future Nokia's. I do miss my N8, and now that they've finally given a date for Belle, I'm happy to go back.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hubrad

Guide to Diagnostics as in something that tells us what all those numbers (State Of Health??) mean.

I have Diag. up and running fine; some bits are self-explanatory (Accelerometer is a game unto itself!) but much is quite mystifying..  :smileyfrustrated:

jayrs wrote:

could be right there, my phone showed 12 hours the other day, 2 texts came in to which i didnt even look at them, then a hour later when i had a chance to look the phone was as a dead as a door **bleep** lol.

guide to the diagnostics? do you mean how to bring the diagnostics screen up?

if so, go into the dialer, type in ##634# and accept it and its there mate

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
RussU

RussU wrote:
It's been fine for 2 months, it's just suddenly happened.

Have added a couple of new live tiles recently, will bin them off and see what happens (although I thought battery saver would stop them updating) tonight, be interesting.

Well the changes I made got me back to normal, hooray.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
anban

Hi,

So I had a lot of issues after the 11500 update i had from connecting to my zune. The battery levels dropped to 13-14 hours of regular use. I was pretty annoyed so I took my phone to nokia care. They suggested a full firmware flash using the 11501 version that they seem to be having. Got back my phone a couple of days back.

For a couple of hours the drain seemed to be minimal but as soon as i started reconfiguring my mails and facebook accounts etc, there seemed to be a spike in drainage. Very quickly my battery dropped below 20%.

So I went a bit drastic on my phone. Removed the downloaded facebook app, put backlit to medium, switched off any persistent connections (XBox Live, Facebook Chat, Any other i could find). Also, I removed any live tiles from my home screen. I still have my 3 gmail accounts, one twitter account and the facebook account active using default apps on my phone. There are no other 3rd party apps installed.

Happy to report that now I am getting almost 2 days of consistent battery life. I think removing live tiles coupled with the full software flash did the trick.

Some observations though - the full charge capacity is vacillating between 1372 to 1183mAh. The voltage is consistent at 4V. Before the changes, the full charge capacity was fixed at 1380 and thereabouts. The voltage was consistent ly below 4V. Not sure if these numbers mean anything.

As I mentioned earlier, this is a beautiful phone. I just wish Nokia had bundled a better battery to allow us mere mortals enjoy the phone better.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
markust

Few days after the update I decided to do the hard reset just in case --> 3 hours to reinstall apps and restore settings.

Unfortunately I have to confirm that this update did not fixt the battery issue. My battery lasts max 15 hours with light use: 30 mins phone calls, outlook mails checking every 15 mins, BT off, WLAN on, no background apps, etc.

Nokia tells ins specs "Maximum 3G standby time 335 h". So my phone is reaching max 10% of that (if I would not use the phone and turn off all the services.

Nokia must know this and that means that they are telling lies to their customers. I will definetely take my phone back to Nokia Service and they have to show me that the phone meets the specs they have promised.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

I have to agree...my battery perfromance on my brand new Lumia 800, which came with the firmware update, is unbelievably poor. I can barely make it a day and I have Wifi off, BT off, no background tasks, only 3g and maybe 1 call a day. I cannot believe the battery performance is so poor....really dissapointed!!! 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
hairychad

markust wrote:

Nokia must know this and that means that they are telling lies to their customers. I will definetely take my phone back to Nokia Service and they have to show me that the phone meets the specs they have promised.

I was going to attempt the hard reset and I decided to pop to my local Nokia Care Point, and they just confirmed (unofficially) that 13 hours is what you'd expect from this phone until a fix is released. A Hard Reset shouldn't fix anything and the only thing that would affect the battery would be Twitter or unofficial live tiles for facebook. the standard ME tile should not drain it....

So I'm back on my N8, and I forgot how glorious it is.. still waiting on Belle, which at least they've said will be around Feb 8th, so I'm ready :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

hairychad wrote:

So I'm back on my N8, and I forgot how glorious it is.. still waiting on Belle, which at least they've said will be around Feb 8th, so I'm ready :smileyhappy:

No, they haven't said anything about Feb 8th, so don't be too disappointed if nothing happens.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
scully1888

[ Edited ]

I usually wake up at 7.30am. Before I downloaded the update I was able to get to bed at midnight without the battery dying, at which point I'd plug the phone (Lumia 800) in overnight so it'd be at 100% again in the morning.

I updated on Sunday and on both Monday and Tuesday my battery had died by about 9 or 10pm. So this update, which is supposed to "fix" battery issues, has made by battery weaker to the point that my phone has died two days in a row, something that hadn't happened to me at all since I got the Lumia 800 on launch day.

As it is just now, if I don't have this thing plugged into a charger every single night then it's going to die every day unless I don't use it at all. My phone's been on for two hours now and I haven't touched it and it's already down to 85%.

I have a single email account updating hourly, and two other ones that I update manually. Brightness is set to auto/medium and I have no live tiles other than the Me tile and Nokia's App Highlights one. Bluetooth is off, WiFi is off, Location is off. Basically, I have to turn off nearly every feature that Nokia was advertising as a selling point in order that this thing lasts a full day. And Nokia claims a maximum 3G standby time of 335 hours (14 days)? I'm sorry, but that's a complete lie. I've got nearly the minimum settings turned on here and I'm lucky to hit 5% of that.

Got to say guys, I'm really not happy about this. I'm starting to get the feeling the battery issue won't ever get fixed and it's simply down to Nokia putting a low-capacity battery in the phone in the first place to save on production costs.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
hairychad

93tid wrote:

hairychad wrote:

No, they haven't said anything about Feb 8th, so don't be too disappointed if nothing happens.

oh well - I'm loving my N8 again now with the clock on display, wonderful camera, and better maps etc... oh and battery life. I unplugged it at 1am and it was at 90% battery when I checked at 10am.

Shame the operating system is flakey, but fingers crossed the rumours about the vietnamese and subsequent international rollout are true....

Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]

hairychad wrote:

markust wrote:

I was going to attempt the hard reset and I decided to pop to my local Nokia Care Point, and they just confirmed (unofficially) that 13 hours is what you'd expect from this phone until a fix is released. A Hard Reset shouldn't fix anything and the only thing that would affect the battery would be Twitter or unofficial live tiles for facebook. the standard ME tile should not drain it....

There has already been 2 updates that were meant to fix this though

Please use plain text.
oskarb35

Exactly. After updating to version 11 501 phone died after 10-12h of work. So I came back to the 11 451 and the problems are over. I turned on FB, updatesmail boxes, WiFi and 3G. Phone withstand normal operation the other day.Therefore advise against all updates.

Nokia E50+Nokia N8+Lumia 800
Please use plain text.
Advisor
AdriansLumia800

Basically NOKIA has to do a hell of a job with the LUMIA 800 Firmware as in REDO the entire firmware from sctrach cause after updating to11500 and a normal reset, my phones running for nearly 2 days with my data connection (E mode) on' ..50-60 SMS..Syncing of email about 3-4 times"..facebook a couple of times and about 10-15 calls lasting about 3-5mins..Only live tiles are the peoples hub and ME tiles..

Whats noticed is the estimated battery shows a reduced time then the time goes back up..So basically the battery is performing but the Firmware is screwed along with firmware updates going over it..Also the call ending thing happens very very rarely and may be a cut sim card issue but none the less NOKIA you know what you have to do for your loyal customers..

If anyone from NOKIA is seeing this, then..

NOKIA PLEASE REDO THE LUMIA 800s FIRMWARE FROM SCTRACH AGAIN!!!

My Current Phone: Lumia 800 Black (Windows Phone 7.5)
My Previous Phone: Nokia N8-00 Dark Grey (Symbian S^3 - Anna)
Phones Before: X6-00, 5800ME, N72ME, 3510, 3310 (Symbian S40-60)
Please use plain text.
Advisor
jpow

First of all, i'd like to say I am a LONG TIME IPHONE USER (owned every single iphone from first version until 4s).

Along the way, i've also tried android (galaxy s, galaxy nexus etc), but both times gave up on it.

Just last saturday, i picked up a Lumia 800, and I can say this is probably one of the BEST experiences so far. Physical appearance, from the jet black minimalist design to the gorilla corning curved glass are superb. Windows phone is also seriously VERY well designed. In some aspects, I think its much better than iOS even!

HOWEVER.... My overall experience with the lumia 800 is a LOVE-HATE relationship.

Love the phone in general, but HATE the battery issues.

It is OBVIOUS it is something to do with 3G. However, via diagnostics, i have found that

1. It is INTERMITTENT. Probably something to do with buggy detection of 3g signal, where phone goes crazy trying to lock on to 3g, even though there is more than ample signal. Sometimes battery life is OK with 3g mode, and sometimes its super bad. Very likely this is due to different 3g signal scenarios.

2. going to E mode lengthens battery life CONSIDERABLY!! (Further testament that 3g is an issue)

3. THere is also a bug on how phone toggles between WIFI and 3G. When I switch on WIFI, i see current (discharge rate) hover around 250-350ma when i use whats app on E mode. However, the moment i switch on 3g, current discharge rate goes to 400-600 when i load whatsapp! Why should this be the case? Regardless of 3g or E, phone should be using Wifi to load whatsapp!

TO NOKIA: I dont think most of us are expecting IMMEDIATE solution, but at least acknowledge what the problem is, that you are hearing us, and give us regular updates on the progress of a solution. That single act alone could win you a life long customer. You might be thinking: "of the X million lumia 800s we've sold, only 200 are complaining on the forum. Not worth the effort to solve this problem for them". Well you are wrong. The remaining X million buyers of lumias are probably thinking "This phone sucks as battery dies in 12 hours. I'm not going to bother to write in the forum. I'm just not buying nokia ever again."

If you solve this battery problem and give us a phone that lasts as long as an iphone, i would consider myself a nokia convert. 

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
CasperNN

Great Jpow.

Nokia why are you lying to us?

Is this true spec.?

Stand-by Up to 265 h (2G) / Up to 335 h (3G)

Talk time Up to 13 h (2G) / Up to 9 h 30 min (3G)

Music play Up to 55 h

Liars!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ekw88

Hello just reporting in:

My phone lasts about 10-12 hours with moderate use.

On no use, it still lasts 10-12 hours...

My battery is draining around 120-150mAh, never went below that.

Firmware: 1600.2483.8106.11500

Hardware Revision: 112.1402.2.3

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
chiathomas

Yes. the battery is really very bad.

Even at airplane mode, it is discharging at 200mA.

Noka gave me a new handset but with the same problem.
Please use plain text.