Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Response to customers' questions about battery lif...

Advisor
julev

Re: Reponse to customers' questions about battery life

Sadly, there is still something wrong with the 3G.

After the update I'm perfectly happy with the battery life when I'm using 2G/GPRS. I think I would easily get two days usable time - I'm not sure because I still charge the phone every night, old habits...

But 3G is another story. Battery drain is 15-20% /hour. And what is fun, is that the drain continues if I first use 3G and then put the phone to flight mode! It means that if I want to be sure that the battery last the whole day, I have to remember to put the phone back to 2G mode and reboot it after browsing the web.

For me this is now not an impossible problem. I need mostly email, not the browser, and 2G is good enough for emails.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Re: Response to customers' questions about battery life

Please use plain text.
satish2106

I have already tried this before. Even then the battery life is very pathetic. Post the latest firmware update the internet was not working on my phone when connected through the SIM. But after the restore it started working all of a sudden.

WP7FanBoy wrote:

I got my Lumia 800 almost a month ago and it was barely surviving for whole day with just normal stuff everyone does. Then after 12070 update (which i forcefully did), i noticed a small improvement in battery - but it wasnt still good. Couple of days back, i restored my phone back to factory settings (but the firmware still updated to 12070) - since then i am getting a battery life of over 40 hours easily with my 3G, WiFi on all the time, did some downloading, radio streaming as well - so may be the trick is to get the 12070 update and then restore the phone to default factory settings - you can take a full backup of contacts and other stuff on skydrive or local system. hope this crazy trick might work for somone.

Please use plain text.
Professor
JudaZ

There's your problem ....  You use 1 hour Streaming Internet radio over 3G, and are suprised that it affects battery life??   Internet Radio, like Tune-In  over 3G takes a lot of battery...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dankspain

geez I don't know whats wrong but after the update i get 2-4 more hours than what I used to get (10h) but a weird thing happened yesterday. It went the entire day without the usual drain. I didn't change anything, 3g, wifi, gps, everything on but bt and I used it the same as always but I got double batery life (26 hours).Today it went on the usual draining and all i got  was12 hours. Haven't tried on 2g though. Should I do a hard reset?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Siat

@dankspain I have the exact same problem, the battery after the update(12070) was giving me double the battery(with my normal settings) I had prior to the update (around 24 hours) when all of a sudden it was it was back to usual with giving me around 12 hours of standby. I read most of the forum and disabled most of the things (except 3G) but this did not help me at all. The only thing I noticed was that exactly after the update my current discharge was around 80mA but it now is around 200mA with the same settings! Tried doing a hard reset but this did not solve my problem. Hoping someone comes up with answer with respect to your post as it is extremely annoying to say the least.

If Nokia could explain what can be done to resolve this problem it would be highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Please use plain text.
maccamoo

this is exactly my experience with 12070 too. doubled for 3-4 days after upgrade, then back to where it was, or worse. i barely use the thing during the day to save battery in case i need to at some point!!!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
manju6424

My Handset is getting worse day by day after the update, earlier atleast it would last my office hours, now without even touching the phone the battery is draining in 6 hours.

Its time for me to throw the handset in home.

Nokia thanks for your software updates which never worked for my heavy priced device.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dankspain

After a week with the update all I can say it is that I get 14 hours with some music playing and games on 3g (H icon on) with a network company. Since my carrier allows me to use two networks I can use another one and I get 24 hours with the same usage (maybe higher) on 3g (3g icon on), although I see that sometimes when I'm not using the phone it goes into 2g (on both networks). Could this be a fast dormancy issue? I haven't tried a hard reset but i doubt it will do anything.

Please use plain text.
Ellena

Hi Nokia,

Got my Lumia 800 few days ago. After today's 12070 update my battery started to show the question mark. I can't understand what's happening, either you solved the problem with "?" either not, because the news you spread is telling that u "did"...

BTW, the diagnostic app is not showing my battery status.

Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
AndrewUK

This week I have admittedly used the internet a bit less than the norm,but from an average day of 16-18 hours post-update,I got a solid 43 hours before switch off. 3g wasn't on,and I am very selective e.g. I turn WiFi off when not in use,and battery saver is on always as for me personally there is no reason for me not to have it on. After charge it shows no more than 17 hours remaining always,but I now ignore this as I know it means relatively little in reality.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
ceron

I got 1 day with heavy use and 2 days with medium use. I am pleased with the device.Today I updated to 12072 that says it solves battery issues. I haven't test it. I will test it and report back
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
AndehX

I thought I would update this thread. My current best uptime without a recharge is now 2 days and 11 hours. That is with very light use.... 1 or 2 messages a day, occasional email check, 1 or 2 phone calls. Very impressive. Battery life seems to be improving slightly as the weeks go by.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
AndrewUK

Same here,it is slowly getting better and better over the weeks. The last week or so I've been getting 20 hours remaining after charge,and last night it was 1 day 4 hours after removing from charge. This is with 3G on always,but being a bit selective. My battery saver is always on (I have no need for it not to be,but I appreciate that won't suit everyone),and when I leave the house I switch WiFi off. If the phone won't be using internet for hours,I switch data off too. I now go easily over a day most of the time,whereas before I was lucky at 16 hours. I'd always try and leave it on charge a bit longer than 100%,just to be on the safe side. I have had the device since mid-December and I've always loved it,but now I am even happier as it finally meets my REALISTIC expectations (a day is realistic for most smartphones). In fact,more than a day and almost two is achievable depending on usage,so I am finally happy!!!
Please use plain text.
Simon_Wilson

I've just had my first two weeks using the Lumia 800. I have to say that it's a very pretty UI and a fast OS. But, and it's a big 'but', I'm getting 12 - 14 hours usage from a charge - even with most functions switched off (following Nokia's recommendations). What I can't understand is how a phone with so few features can draw so much power.

My old N8 (running belle) did so much more and the battery lasted for two days. I hardly ever used the 'power saver' mode and never had to switch anything off. WP 7.5 must be doing something; it's just not visible or beneficial to me as a user. I really thought I was going to get something better. What I've actually experienced is something less capable but prettier. I really didn't need a phone as costume jewelry. It's a shame. Had Nokia committed to Symbian, I would have stuck with that. I'll keep both phones and use the N8 for business until the Lumia issues are resolved.
Please use plain text.
RuneDanmark

I recently bought a white lumia 800 with latest software.

I do have it for some heavy use. 3 mail sync. Always online with my messengers and such.

But it only last for like 6-8 hours! And the phone is getting hot sometime, without being charged.

So I would like to hear if that is normal battery usage or if I should got mere hours out of the battery?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
itseyraud

Lumia 900 unlocked from Rogers network, using on TELUS

Wi-Fi: on

Bluetooth: off

Location services: on

Data services: on (set to 3G max)

Find my phone: connected, but 2 options left un-checked

Xbox Live: connected, but all other options disabled

Zune connection: enabled

Live tiles: 

• Weather
  • 3x Gmail
  • Pictures
  • People
  • Me
  • Marketplace
  • Calendar
  • Dialer

Accounts:

• 4x Google (3 on push, 1 hourly)
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Windows Live (no email, push on)

Background Tasks: 1

• Weather (MS Corp): enabled
  • App Highlights: removed
  • Yelp: disabled
  • Evernote: disabled

Usage pattern: light-to-none (ie, idle all day, light up the screen once in a while to check notifications, no talk time)

IMHO, these are basic settings that anyone should be able to have on and achieve long battery life with.  My Samsung Galaxy S was setup the exact same way and the battery would last > 12 hours with light-moderate use, no talk time.  In most cases I could actually skip an overnight charge, meaning the battery would last ~ 24 hours on a single charge.

With this phone.. I unplug my phone at 8:30am and by 1pm, I am below 50% charge.  That's 4.5 hours of mostly standby time and the phone is already in need of a charge.  This is unacceptable.  I estimate the standby discharge rate fluctuate between 8-15% per hour.

Compared to what other people have reported they have setup on their phones, I don't think I am being excessive.  The discharge rate on this phone in standby is atrocious!

Please use plain text.
Professor

@itseyraud

EXACTLY!

What is the point in having an all singing all dancing smartphone if one can't get a full day out of it using the features we are meant to use. e.g live tiles, internet, email.....absolute joke
Please use plain text.
Contributor
itseyraud

44% discharge (56% remaining) in 4 hours, with no use.  Turned the screen on twice: once at 9am and again at 12:30 to check the battery level.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
AndrewUK

I was already getting decent battery but last night I decided to do a full reset,wipe the phone and reinstall everything. After last night's charge I'm showing 1 day 20 hours remaining on battery saver (1 day 15h without). Time will tell,but still never seen those kind of numbers. Previous best at 100% was 1d 4h,but more often than not 14-16 hours. We'll see I suppose but I am still very happy with the phone,as despite what the battery says I usually get a good day of use anyway. Maybe a reset is what some people need to get optimum life? I am moderately technical,and I found it very easy to do,backing up via Zune. It's Lumia 800 by the way.
Please use plain text.