Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

SIM Unlock Lumia 520 AT&T

Contributor
samamba

SIM Unlock Lumia 520 AT&T

A friend of my brought from US a Nokia Lumia 520, as my request. I´m in Brazil, by the way.
But It came SIM Unlocked from AT&T. The phone works well, the only thing that it does not is calls and sms. But the rest is fine.

I contact AT&T but they wont give me the PIN number to unlock. (tried several times)

So I need to find some way to do that. Either getting the PIN number, or even formatting the cell, to a "pure" WP8 (as should be an original unlocked device) - installing the original WP8.

About the warranty, I dont care. I´m Brazil and will never get acess trough it, if i need it.

I really apreciate if someone can give me a help here.

Cheers!

Please use plain text.
Community Manager
tiny_chef

Re: SIM Unlock Lumia 520 AT&T

Hi samamba,

Welcome to the Nokia Support Discussions!

The unlock code (restriction code) is a code which enables a branded device to be used with another SIM card from other service providers. This is usually provided by the original network provider, depending on your contract and their policy.

You or your friend, who bought the phone, needs to get in touch with AT&T for the unlock code.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Harrybulldust

I have the same situation. I am an Australian who. bought the phone at Amazon US. Activated GoPhone Prepaid as requested by AT&T to obtain help. Result is, they send you around in circles and circles and circles. They give the impression that they are not interested in your problem and send you on to another section, who start the same process
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

Nokia supply SIM-free handsets to the networks, which then decide whether and how to lock them. Both the unlock codes and the unlock procedures are owned by the networks, not by Nokia. Nokia cannot do anything about unlocking a handset, it is 100% up to the network which has locked it.

Please use plain text.
DracoArgentum

Mobile Guru, you have no knowledge of US law regarding SIM unlocking. Mobile carriers in the US are required to provide SIM unlocking after 60 days of service if you buy the phone amortised with a plan. If you buy the phone straight out, they must provide the code immediately.

THIS IS UNITED STATES FEDERAL LAW.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

I fail to see what is the point of your message. It only confirms what I said above - that it is up to the carrier to provide the unlock code and not Nokia. I don't really need to know the US federal law to tell you that.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

93tid wrote:

Nokia supply SIM-free handsets to the networks, which then decide whether and how to lock them. Both the unlock codes and the unlock procedures are owned by the networks, not by Nokia. Nokia cannot do anything about unlocking a handset, it is 100% up to the network which has locked it.

This is definitely not (always) the case. I would suspect the ATT 520 is delivered locked to ATT who then put them in their custome packaging and it could even be this is done at the end of production run. Nokia will then deliver the unlock code(s) with the shipment.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

[ Edited ]

This is direct quote from an official written response I received from Nokia on two separate occasions, the last one appr. 6 months ago. I cannot judge whether your suspicions are correct or not.

Please use plain text.